[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kenneth,
    Thank you for this excellent overview of the show last night! So many of us who could not attend because of the distance were very curious as to the lineup for this performance. Of course, we knew that Sherrie and Susaye would be terrific! Thanks again for taking so much time to provide us with so many details!

Thanks! Hope it wasn't too long! There was so much to observe.

Thanks so much Kenneth for taking the time to post your review of the show. I enjoyed reading it. Your review drew a wonderful picture and made me feel like I was in the audience too.

I hope the show makes it to NYC

Thanks Milven! I hope you get a chance to see it, too.

Kenneth - I enjoyed reading your review so much. Thank you for writing it and including the details. Much appreciated.

Thanks Metuselah2! Happy to do so.

smark21 Guest
    Thanks Kenneth for the review/report.

You're welcome!

Kenneth....I truly appreciate your overview of Scherrie's and Susaye's big night! Thanks so much! John

Thanks Johnny! When I met Scherrie, I mentioned to her I had heard your interview with the ladies a few weeks ago. After we spoke briefly, she commented "thank you for your loyalty." What a sweet lady.

Lulu Guest
    Fabulous review Kenneth! It sounds like a perfectly charming and intimate engagement and I also hope it makes it "back east"!!!

Thanks Lulu! I hope it does, too. For some reason, I thought you lived out here though!

Kenneth-

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Well done.

Penny

Thanks Penny! Haven't seen you on here much lately.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks Lulu! I hope it does, too. For some reason, I thought you lived out here though!
    If only!

Charlo Crossley [[introduced only as "Charlo") came on and did a rousing set, mostly of standards, but some unusual ones I hadn't heard before. She closed her set with a beautiful song about the soul which she said she sang "8 times a week" on Broadway. This must have been a number from "The Color Purple" but I'm not familiar with that score so can't identify it properly.
    Kenneth, first, thanks for the rundown. Very nice for those pof us not on the West Coast. Could Charlo have done I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray? I know she did that show but I don't think she did The Color Purple. I Know Where I've Been is a big rousing number.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Kenneth, first, thanks for the rundown. Very nice for those pof us not on the West Coast. Could Charlo have done I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray? I know she did that show but I don't think she did The Color Purple. I Know Where I've Been is a big rousing number.
    You know what, I think you are correct. Those were the lyrics, in essence. "I know where I've been, I know where I'm going." Wow, hard to imagine that being from Hairspray! I thought I had read she was in The Color Purple so just assumed it must have been from that. But, yes, I think you are absolutely right. Thanks!

Kenneth's review was on point,i was there also,yes Scherrie payne and Susaye Greene looked great and sounded great,it was a special night for The Supremes partners,and fans,Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You Ever Done, Your Sweet Love,In The Night,With 2 dancers from Soul Train,then Scherrie talks about her days as a Supreme,and all the ladies of The Supremes,and went into I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking,and Scherrie and Susaye shared the lead,and sounded great,Susaye said she love this song,since she was a little girl,she sang Alfie,and she sang it,the best i ever heard,any other singer, sang it,with a standing ovation,Scherrie sang Another Life From Now,i'm like wow Scherrie gave a super vocal performance,with a standing ovation, then The Supremes Partners went into High Engery,and this was another highlight,Scherrie and Susay shared the lead on this,and DAMMMMMMMM they were Super great,they had everyone on they're feet,who ever did the arrangement High Energy did a great job,it was so good,i didn't want it to end lol,Susay sings Children Of The Ghetto, with her son,and it was amazing,i could hear it on the radio today,with another standing ovation,and that was the end of Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene's set,trust me both Supremes Partners were PHENOMENAL,Susaye said they may take this show on the road,i agree the show should have ended with Scherrie and Susaye on stage together,maybe it should have ended the show with High Energy,anyway i love it,no matter what,Thanks Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,THE BEST
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Redhot, I wish we could have met! Had I known you were going, I would have made sure we did. Did you see me? I was seated in the very first General Admission seat as you walked into the room. If you didn't turn one way or the other, you would have fallen on me!

My Night Of Music & Love With Scherrie & Susaye: A Personal Memoir[[ette)

First of all I would like to send a big Thank You to Big Dawgs’ Sydney. After driving to Los Angeles from San Diego and checking into my room at the Sheraton I discovered much to my horror I had forgotten my ticket! You know that sinking feeling. It was even worse than that. Fortunately for me I had purchased my ticket directly from Big Dawg and had spoken with Sydney a number of times. So I called Big Dawg and Sydney very graciously reprinted my ticket. This kind courtesy prevented this article from being titled “I Can Never Recover”! Sydney was in the hotel at the time so I got my ticket right away. The sinking feeling didn’t go away as fast. Man, I dodged a bullet on that one. You know “not responsible for lost or stolen tickets”. As a matter of fact all the staff members I interacted with before during and after the concert were kind and considerate. It was definitely a family and friends kind of affair.

I’ll start with wardrobe and the set list. I wore black Ariat cowboy boots, black leather pants, a pink dress shirt [[Costco), a cornflower blue tie [[T.J. Maxx) and a vintage Thierry Mugler jacket, that I’ve had since it wasn’t vintage. I topped it off with a pair of diamond and topaz stud earrings that would have set me back an arm and a leg if I hadn’t purchased them online from nomorerack.com.

The set list [[from my scribbled notes):
    Storybook Romance – duet
    Your Sweet Love - duet
    Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You’ve Ever Done – started as a duet then became a Scherrie solo
    In The Night – Susaye solo
    McArthur’s Park/Another Life From Now – Scherrie solo
    Alfie – Susaye solo
    I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking - duet
    High Energy - duet
    Children Of The Ghetto – Susaye and her son Colton

The ladies were backed by a four piece band and as Kenneth stated in his excellent and thorough review of the show, Pam and Joyce Vincent did support vocals. Just seeing these four talented and legendary ladies on stage together was worth the price of admission.

Table seating was assigned [[which I guess was probably the only reason Sydney was able to reprint my ticket) and I wound up seated next to Fred Bronson, journalist, author and writer. Bronson’s “The Billboard Book Of Number One Hits” is my main musical reference book. I was a little geeked-out, not just because Fred is a well know figure, but because I just happened to be a big fan of a lot of his books. In a matter of minutes we were talking like old friends as I bombarded him with questions about various projects he has worked on. Turns out Fred and I both know Soulful Detroit’s own theboyfromxtown, John Lester, so Fred texted John in the UK. This was just another example of the family/extended family feel that pervaded this wonderful show. Shout out to Serendipity for seating me next to Fred, he was totally cool and I so enjoyed making his acquaintance.

I took my original vinyl copy of “Partners” with me in hopes of getting it autographed [[so much more space to write on than the CD). After the concert Scherrie came out first and was posing for pictures in front of a Partners/Big Dawg back drop. It got rather chaotic, everybody was trying to get in the picture but The Payne Killer handled it all like the pro she is. Eventually [[and with a bit of help from Fred) I was able to ask Scherrie to autograph my album. As she did I thanked her for the music and she looked at me and said “You are so handsome!” I was instantly a blithering idiot! LOL!!! If only I had thought to say “I am not worthy!” LOL!!! Then Susaye came out and the love fest/chaos started up again. Eventually I was able to get Susaye to autograph the album as well. As she was doing so I said “I’m Joseph, I have a thread on Soulful Detroit about the show”. She looked up and said “Come here” [[she had to look up and say “Come here” because in my Ariat’s I’m like 6’ 5” and towered over her. It was kind of like “The Attack Of The 50 Foot Fan”) and she gave me a big hug. Let me tell you folks, a Susaye hug will warm your soul.

Also after the show I picked up a complimentary copy of “Voice Of Reason”. I agree with Kenneth about the placement of the Bryant McGill segment, but more than a show Supreme Partners is an experience and McGill’s message is an important part of the experience that Scherrie & Susaye have created [[and are creating) for us.

I also spoke briefly with Pam Vincent after the show and purchased her CD, which she autographed. She was most kind and gracious. The room was alive with so many of our legendary ladies. Wow, there’s Tata, there’s Brenda Russell and so on. It was quite overwhelming, but very wonderful. As things started to calm down Fred Bronson was able to get in an interview with Susaye, afterwards he and I continued our conversation over dinner. It was great fun and as I said Fred was just totally cool to talk to and be with. Thanks Fred!

There was such a spirit of love and caring during and after the concert. As I said it felt very much like a family/extended family event, a reunion if you will. Scherrie & Susaye provided a wonderful concert that showed why they are held in such high regard as artists. Their added message of love and taking care of one another, their emphasis on breast cancer research and world peace, shows why they are so loved and respected as human beings. I am so, so very grateful that I was able to be a part of Supreme Partners. It was an exceptional evening, I will treasure remembering.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 07-08-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: wrong boot name

I'm jealous, Sophisticated! Scherrie didn't tell me I was handsome! I'll never get over it!!!

I'm jealous, Sophisticated! Scherrie didn't tell me I was handsome! I'll never get over it!!!
    Yeah, but you didn't turn into a blithering idoit in front of her! LOL! Wasn't it just electric being around her.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Yeah, but you didn't turn into a blithering idoit in front of her! LOL! Wasn't it just electric being around her.
    Absolutely...both ladies are very special. I loved meeting them.

Addendum:

Sign The Goodwill Treaty - www.bryantmcgill.com/treaty

Joseph....thank you so much for posting your Scherrie and Susaye experience! Between You and Kenneth, it was like having a ring-side seat!

Anyone know if Pam's CD is available online somewhere?

thanks Kenneth & Sophisticated Soul for the reviews.Would love to have been there , I sure wish they would come to Florida.

Thanks all. Was it sold out? Did Scherrie and Susaye engage in conversation from the stage? Any mention of other shows?

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Joseph....thank you so much for posting your Scherrie and Susaye experience! Between You and Kenneth, it was like having a ring-side seat!
    Your welcome, my friend. Seeing Scherrie, Susaye, Pam and Joyce together on stage I immediately thought of you and your love and respect for these ladies and thought "Oh man, would Johnny love this!" I hope the show comes your way, John.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    thanks Kenneth & Sophisticated Soul for the reviews.Would love to have been there , I sure wish they would come to Florida.
    You're very welcome motony. Thanks for reading the posts. I hope Scherrie & Susaye come your way, too.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Anyone know if Pam's CD is available online somewhere?
    Off hand I do not know if she has a website or not, or where else it might be available.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks all. Was it sold out? Did Scherrie and Susaye engage in conversation from the stage? Any mention of other shows?
    My only disappointment of the evening was that the show was not sold out. The ladies were very engaged with the audience, offering comments and reflections through out the show. Among other things Susaye talked about her pride in seeing her son grow into his own. And Scherrie shared some thoughts about events that inspired certain songs. They did say there would be other dates, but didn't specifiy where or when.

Nice review. Glad Susaye performed some of the '70s Supremes tunes and Scherrie doing songs she helped to write hits for [[as usual). Nice picture too.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nice review. Glad Susaye performed some of the '70s Supremes tunes and Scherrie doing songs she helped to write hits for [[as usual). Nice picture too.
    Thank you midnightman

Joseph

It is indeed a small world but I'm so glad you guys were able to meet on such a momentous occasion.

I hope you gave the ladies the thumbs up sign for a future concert in London!

....very ably supported by The Velvelettes, of course.....

So enjoyed your review, SS.

But after that forgotten ticket story, I keep visualizing you a' la Madeline Kahn in "WHAT'S UP, DOC?" as she's pulling the banquet hostest across the banquet room floor face down as the hostest refuses to let go of Madeline's leg!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Off hand I do not know if she has a website or not, or where else it might be available.
    Thanks SS, I thought maybe this was just sold at shows? I checked around the internet and couldn't find anything. Lucky you!
    Great reviews to all those that contributed!

Thanks SS, I thought maybe this was just sold at shows? I checked around the internet and couldn't find anything. Lucky you!
    Do any one know these ladies are with Scherrie?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Joseph

It is indeed a small world but I'm so glad you guys were able to meet on such a momentous occasion.

I hope you gave the ladies the thumbs up sign for a future concert in London!
    Fred is a real sweet dude, no Hollywood pretense, and I really enjoyed talking music with him. I felt like super geek talking to ultimate geek. Great fun. I am definitely rooting for a London show John. The ladies have always been treated so well in the UK. I can't imagine them not wanting to do London if it's at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    ....very ably supported by The Velvelettes, of course.....
    Sounds good to me, Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    So enjoyed your review, SS.

But after that forgotten ticket story, I keep visualizing you a' la Madeline Kahn in "WHAT'S UP, DOC?" as she's pulling the banquet hostest across the banquet room floor face down as the hostest refuses to let go of Madeline's leg!
    Thank you Bruce. I tell you I honestly do not know what I would have done if Sydney hadn't come through for me. Yeah, I can see myself pulling a Eunice and dragging the poor ticket lady in behind me. LOL!!!

Thank you blueskies. I wish I could be more helpful about the Pam CD. I had no idea it existed prior to this show, so I grabbed it immediately. I was so busy thanking Pam for all the great work she has been a part of that I didn't think to ask about a website or anything like that. Maybe some one else on the forum will have more information.

The Hollywood Reporter

Four Decades Later, Two Final Supremes Give First Live Performance of Their 1979 Album 'Partners' -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new....UpmMw4lx.dpuf

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Do any one know these ladies are with Scherrie?
    I'm pretty sure the lady on the left was part of Scherrie's crew. I believe she was hanging out in the "backstage" tent. After the performance, she was the one I spoke to in order to ask if the ladies would sign my album.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Kenneth's review was on point,i was there also,yes Scherrie payne and Susaye Greene looked great and sounded great,it was a special night for The Supremes partners,and fans,Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You Ever Done, Your Sweet Love,In The Night,With 2 dancers from Soul Train,then Scherrie talks about her days as a Supreme,and all the ladies of The Supremes,and went into I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking,and Scherrie and Susaye shared the lead,and sounded great,Susaye said she love this song,since she was a little girl,she sang Alfie,and she sang it,the best i ever heard,any other singer, sang it,with a standing ovation,Scherrie sang Another Life From Now,i'm like wow Scherrie gave a super vocal performance,with a standing ovation, then The Supremes Partners went into High Engery,and this was another highlight,Scherrie and Susay shared the lead on this,and DAMMMMMMMM they were Super great,they had everyone on they're feet,who ever did the arrangement High Energy did a great job,it was so good,i didn't want it to end lol,Susay sings Children Of The Ghetto, with her son,and it was amazing,i could hear it on the radio today,with another standing ovation,and that was the end of Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene's set,trust me both Supremes Partners were PHENOMENAL,Susaye said they may take this show on the road,i agree the show should have ended with Scherrie and Susaye on stage together,maybe it should have ended the show with High Energy,anyway i love it,no matter what,Thanks Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,THE BEST
    Great review redhot! I agree, there was nothing but love and appreciation shown for the ladies all night long. And they returned the love and gave us an incredible show. We were all so fortunate to be able to attend this very special event.

I'm pretty sure the lady on the left was part of Scherrie's crew. I believe she was hanging out in the "backstage" tent. After the performance, she was the one I spoke to in order to ask if the ladies would sign my album.
    I think your right Kenneth. I think the lady on the left was actually assisting the lady on the right. They were sitting close to where I was seated. And I kept thinking to myself the lady on the right seemed very familiar to me but I couldn't place her.

You're welcome! Thanks for reading it!
    Kenny thanks for a fantastic review I cant wait for scherrie and susaye to hit the east coast. I will be playing my cooy of partners tonite.

Thank Sophisticated Soul,i also saw someone video taping the show,i'd love to get my hands on a copy lol,i thought it would have been nice,had Mary Wilson showed her face in the place,just to show support,for her Supremes sister,i'm just saying

Was Lynda Laurence or Cindy Birdsong there? I know Cindy has been ill....so, I understand her not being there. Seems odd Lynda wouldn't be there supporting two of the Flos.