[REMOVE ADS]

Vintage rare 70's Labelle and 60's Bluebelles

Patti sure has come a long way. Her vocals were stellar even as far back as the "Over The Rainbow Days.

Last edited by soulballad; 05-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Imo Cindy's voice was missed in the harmonies for sure. She added a touch of something/

....and with Ms.B

I have Cindy Birdsong on my mind for some reason. I hope all is well.

I saw the original Patti LaBelle & the Blue Bells LIVE on a big rock & roll show in 64 & Patti fell on her knees in a long dress & the other 3 just kept singin their beautiful harmonies with their hand motions & Patti was all over, rollin ect & ofcourse we were goin wild. CHubby Checker was the Star of the show.I think "You'll Never Walk Alone" was their big closing number.

Is anybody clear on the Sundray Tucker affiliation. Some sources say that Cindy replaced her originally and other say that she temporarily stepped in for Cindy in 67. This area seems a bit unclear

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    Patti sure has come a long way. Her vocals were stellar even as far back as the "Over The Rainbow Days.

That was incredible! Never heard it or saw this clip before. Thank you.

Is anybody clear on the Sundray Tucker affiliation. Some sources say that Cindy replaced her originally and other say that she temporarily stepped in for Cindy in 67. This area seems a bit unclear
    In the early 60s, the group consisted of Patti, Nona, Sarah, and Sundray. The girls decided to drop out of school to devote more time to singing. Sunday's father wouldn't allow her to do so and took her out of the group. She was replaced by Cindy.

When Cindy left the group in 1967, I've read that Sundray replaced her for a few dates.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the early 60s, the group consisted of Patti, Nona, Sarah, and Sundray. The girls decided to drop out of school to devote more time to singing. Sunday's father wouldn't allow her to do so and took her out of the group. She was replaced by Cindy.

When Cindy left the group in 1967, I've read that Sundray replaced her for a few dates.

Thanks! So both are true. These music circles were tight, Sundray also performed with the Three Degrees...and replaced Jean in the Heavy Weights. I cannot get over how much she and Jean Terrell resemble. I bet this was a factor in Mary not choosing her to replace Cindy. Two Jeans at once the public would have been completely confused. We would have thought our minds were playing tricks on us again! HAHA!
    Last edited by soulballad; 05-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Imo Cindy's voice was missed in the harmonies for sure. She added a touch of something/

I agree with you Cindy's voice sort of bridge the gap in the harmony which imo helped smooth out their sound.