[REMOVE ADS]

Do We Think Every Motown Album Will Be Re-issued Eventually?

The mining of the vast Motown catalog has of course been a great source of joy to all of us during the CD reissue era and of course we want more, more more. I just read on Dusty Groove that an album by a group called Hearts of Stone is about to be re-issued for example. It was their one and only album for Motown.

Since this is presumably a fairly obscure album that didn't produce any major sales or hits in its day [[correct me if I am wrong on that), I find it interesting that it will be re-issued. But mainly I feel encouraged because it might mean that eventually you will be able to get anything that Motown ever recorded on CD.

I personally would like to have the Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams albums and I am sure others of you have your favorites as well. So do we think that eventually we will all get what we want or are there perhaps some albums that will never make it?

thomas96 Guest
    No, not enough of a market for many of the more obscure albums..

No, I do not think every Motown album will be reissued eventually. The CD era is winding down. If a Motown LP hasn't been reissued on CD by now, odds are not good for a reissue. Junior Walker alone had 11 Motown albums that have never been reissued on CD, or in any other digital format.

As far as the Hearts of Stone go, I think that album is a curious choice for a reissue. In fact, if you read the All Music Guide review of "Stop the World We Wanna Get On", the reviewer found it odd that Motown released the album in the first place when "more deserving Motown artists like the Velvelettes and Carolyn Crawford never had an LP release on Motown."

IMO...Yes, it is likely that every album originally released by Motown will be made available [[some less likely than others) but generally by download or streaming, rather than CD.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    IMO...Yes, it is likely that every album originally released by Motown will be made available [[some less likely than others) but generally by download or streaming, rather than CD.
    I tend to agree somewhat. My question is why haven't every Motown album been released by now? I mean regardless of format, there's been more than ample time to re-release each album.

The Originals need a re-issue.
    The same concept that worked on the Gladys Knight & Pips 2fers would be ideal.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The Originals need a re-issue.
    The same concept that worked on the Gladys Knight & Pips 2fers would be ideal.
    Digitally, iTunes and Amazon have quite a selection of original albums that we haven't seen on CD for years. I know there are some who would rather have a "hard copy" but most of these hit the web when Motown The Musical​ became such a success!

In a word 'no'! We've had the best of times but they are over

Alway room for...
    Blinky's album

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I concur. The late 80s and 90s were the best days to find reissued Motown albums, as MCA had just acquired the company.

Sad but true. I believe you are accurate with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I concur. The late 80s and 90s were the best days to find reissued Motown albums, as MCA had just acquired the company.
    I think he means, [[Copley jump in here if I have it wrong!) that those that could release every album Motown produced have just about released everything that would be of interest or that would sell. I don't personally feel this way, but I believe there are some that do. Motown is now for collectors of what has already been released over the past 55 years.

The obscurity of the Hearts of Stone album puzzled me too, which was why I had hopes for some other albums. I was not aware that Jr. Walker had been ignored to that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think he means, [[Copley jump in here if I have it wrong!) that those that could release every album Motown produced have just about released everything that would be of interest or that would sell. I don't personally feel this way, but I believe there are some that do. Motown is now for collectors of what has already been released over the past 55 years.
    I'm speaking in terms of domestic product. I don't think Motown has finished the job of what interests customers, if one can accurately determine just what that is. And, no, this forum isn't an accurate assessment of what everyone is interested in.

Lulu Guest
    I concur...back when we had more than 1 record store in a 50 mile radius, I used to troll the R&B section and snap up all of those MOTOWN CD's in the long box. Hell, they had a "display" at Record Theatre with all the Supremes stuff back around '91.

NOPE its not going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  21.1 KB
    Including "Were Off to Dublin in the Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers?

Well, I did say "some less likely than others".

As in..... some a lot less likely...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 05-25-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    The mining of the vast Motown catalog has of course been a great source of joy to all of us during the CD reissue era and of course we want more, more more. I just read on Dusty Groove that an album by a group called Hearts of Stone is about to be re-issued for example. It was their one and only album for Motown.

Since this is presumably a fairly obscure album that didn't produce any major sales or hits in its day [[correct me if I am wrong on that), I find it interesting that it will be re-issued. But mainly I feel encouraged because it might mean that eventually you will be able to get anything that Motown ever recorded on CD.

I personally would like to have the Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams albums and I am sure others of you have your favorites as well. So do we think that eventually we will all get what we want or are there perhaps some albums that will never make it?
    I would like that Leslie Uggams album too.

BTW, the Hearts of Stone album was issued on cd in Japan many years ago.

Forget CD reissues. Reissue them on vinyl on the original labels on 180gram vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymac View Post
    Forget CD reissues. Reissue them on vinyl on the original labels on 180gram vinyl.
    Gotta move up with the times!

No music lover should be without a [[good) turntable.

I have the Hearts of Stone album on CD from its previous re-release. I greatly disagree with AMG's critique of the album. I love the album. It is one of those overlooked gems. I wonder why Motown didn't do more with them.

As for on CD, I don't think every album will see a re-release on that format either. However, I am surprised by the number of albums Amazon and iTunes have that I thought would never be available in mp3, but are. I say give it time. I have found many obscure albums I've thought would never be available for legal downloads only to find... oh wow they are there. If they decide finally to re-release those Four Tops, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Jr. Walker & the Allstars, Temptations, and others' albums that had never seen a release since vinyl, it'd be digital like the Supremes' Funny Girl album. I would never say never. They do know there are Motown collectors out there and they still have money to spend. Get it before that generation dies off, then there really would be no need to release anything at all. There will come a day when the songs will all be free through public domain and accessible through the National Archives.

I started building my Motown CD collection when I was 19 after the Temptations mini series aired. I've gotten almost everything that was released on CD in whatever form, be it the individual album, double albums, albums included in anthologies, or rarity albums. I welcome everything that comes out. Maybe there are others my age or younger who are interested in more than the hits and missed out on the other releases who will drive some further demand. I'd love to see Motown's vault just totally cleared. Even with the law making them release stuff each year, lots of artists didn't see songs from 1962 and 1963 released. I am hoping they will be, including the country, in the future and I don't mind if they're on mp3 before mp3s have their curtain call too. Streaming doesn't provide everything, but that's the future.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  21.1 KB
    Including "Were Off to Dublin in the Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers?
    ESPECIALLY THAT! I am mad it's in vinyl... I need to buy a new turntable anyway...
    Last edited by Cadeho; 06-01-2014 at 02:26 AM.

The problem with most downloads is that the sound quality just isn't there, not to mention the artwork and liner notes.

I have more faith in Dusty Groove than anyone else.