[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've been in that theater [[the Ed Sullivan Theater) several times. What you cannot see is that they have boom microphones over head that are hanging from some type of apparatus. Those are the mics that are picking up Mary and Cindy. It is also much smaller [[the theater) in person than it appears on television.
    Thanks blackguy69, I thought that the backing vocals may have been prerecorded, and the music too.

I've no idea where the Ed Sullivan Theatre is - and have never seen it on television [[I don't know who Ed Sullivan is - some kind of tv presenter?). As Mary and Cindy move around so much, the boom microphones would have to move a lot too - and the people holding those microphones would need to know exactly where Mary and Cindy are going to move to, otherwise their sound / loudness of the vocals would fluctuate so much.

I don't know why Diana would need a microphone, but the other two wouldn't - likewise, if the boom microphone works so extremely well for Mary and Cindy's vocals, why not for Diana's? I'm not a sound technician, and there may be lots of reasons why my questions seem to be naive. I wasn't around in 1968 when this song came out, and I really don't know what the technology would have been like in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Thanks blackguy69, I thought that the backing vocals may have been prerecorded, and the music too.

I've no idea where the Ed Sullivan Theatre is - and have never seen it on television [[I don't know who Ed Sullivan is - some kind of tv presenter?). As Mary and Cindy move around so much, the boom microphones would have to move a lot too - and the people holding those microphones would need to know exactly where Mary and Cindy are going to move to, otherwise their sound / loudness of the vocals would fluctuate so much.

I don't know why Diana would need a microphone, but the other two wouldn't - likewise, if the boom microphone works so extremely well for Mary and Cindy's vocals, why not for Diana's? I'm not a sound technician, and there may be lots of reasons why my questions seem to be naive. I wasn't around in 1968 when this song came out, and I really don't know what the technology would have been like in those days.

The Ed Sullivan Theater is on Broadway in New York City. It is named after legendary television variety show host , Ed Sullivan who was a staple of American television from roughly 1948-71. [[Google his name for details and biography). The Supremes appeared on his show [[where this clip comes from) over 15 times approximately.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post

I think you are showing your lack of age by saying you have never heard of ED SULLIVAN [[I'm a bit jealous there ) .. the first time I ever heard of Mr Sullivan was when the U.S. went mad over that obscure group from Liverpool called THE BEATLES and the BBC reported that there was some record audience for the show ... 80 Million I think.

With regard to that DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES performance on Mr Sullivan's show, it does look very "Live" to me, and the handclaps and backing vocals fit perfectly .. perhaps it was all pre-recorded and Miss Ross's microphone was just there for show??

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    With regard to that DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES performance on Mr Sullivan's show, it does look very "Live" to me, and the handclaps and backing vocals fit perfectly .. perhaps it was all pre-recorded and Miss Ross's microphone was just there for show??
    After watching I would say that the background was pre-recroded with Cindy and Mary - they never sound like more than 2 voices and the Andantes would have been fuller. Also, I think Diana is singing live. When she starts "As we were standing there.... " she seems to come in early on the first line. Also, Ed Sullivan always wanted people to sing live on his show and not lip synch unless necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think you are showing your lack of age by saying you have never heard of ED SULLIVAN [[I'm a bit jealous there ) .. the first time I ever heard of Mr Sullivan was when the U.S. went mad over that obscure group from Liverpool called THE BEATLES and the BBC reported that there was some record audience for the show ... 80 Million I think.

Roger
    Roger you are correct, it was live. One clue for the non-believers is you cannot match the handclap movements with recorded handclap sounds...........

supremester Guest
    The hand claps ARE live and much more pronounced than the vocals. I didn'rt think we were discussing the clapping.