[REMOVE ADS]

Smile New Autobiography From The Late Richard Street

Richard Street's son Rick asked me to post a link to the book on Soulful Detroit, so... here it is.

https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781620246405

This is exciting news! I am very happy that Richard's story is being told. I have longed wanted to hear from another one of the Temptations about how it was. I just saw one of Richard's cousins I went to school with just a few days ago [[I am sure he doesn't even know that this book has been released). I am very much looking forward to reading this one. Thanks Jim!

Me too,i always wished that richard had stayed in the temps,he was a great singer and will always be missed.

I`d like to read more about the Majestics / Monitors. So I`ll be buying it.

Can't wait to read this! Thanks for posting

Richard Street should be in the RRHOF

They had better improve their ordering procedure if they want to succeed as I`ve just wasted time filling in my card information and repeating the security codes several times only to be declined. Maybe they screen undesirables.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    They had better improve their ordering procedure if they want to succeed as I`ve just wasted time filling in my card information and repeating the security codes several times only to be declined. Maybe they screen undesirables.
    Oh that is not good. I want this book but if ordering it online is going to be a hassle, well.............

Don`t be put off Marv as they may not ship to my part of the world.Or I may be to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Don`t be put off Marv as they may not ship to my part of the world.Or I may be to blame.

I am going to try to order it tonight Roger and let you know.

Apologies for resurrecting this, but for those unable to complete the purchase of this book directly from the publishers via the link provided by JimBagley at the top of this thread, if you're still interested in obtaining a copy I understand they are now available from Amazon.com for S14.39 plus shipping.

I wonder if he delves in into that period with the Distants and was Otis Williams as dictatorial as he was later on when he fired Richard for going to the hospital without telling him? They sure had a long history together. I don't know if they were able to reconcile their differences before Richard's death.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I wonder if he delves in into that period with the Distants and was Otis Williams as dictatorial as he was later on when he fired Richard for going to the hospital without telling him? They sure had a long history together. I don't know if they were able to reconcile their differences before Richard's death.
    I do not believe they ever reconciled.

Just ordered my copy.Thank you motownjohnny.

This sound like an interesting read I will have to purchase a copy.

I will be purchasing as well.
    Stephanie

Hey Gang, I purchased this book and I say keep your money and go to the library to read it. I was quite disappointed. There is no mention of Cal Gill at all. There is nothing really new that he discusses. He doesn't go into detail of his life as a Temptation, just a snippet here and there. He just seemed to point fingers at Otis but kept accepting things the way they were. He spent 22 years as an unhappy Temptation! I wouldn't walk away like Damon did. There is also one picture in the entire book of 171 pages.

I've just skipped through the 171 pages. A massive disappointment. It's not like any other music book I've ever read, and the ghostwriter does an appalling job of being Richard's mouthpiece.
    It's written in a studenty-pseudo psychological way I can't even begin to describe to anyone, with actual facts and interesting either missing or tainted by Richard's obvious bitterness.
    Main targets for his ire are Motown itself and Otis, as you'd expect, and anyone not acquainted with the history of the Tempts will find themselves totally lost pretty early in the book.
    Richard bigs himself up at every turn, and there is even a National Enquirer-esque section about him losing his virginity to the very famous lead singer of a very famous female trio, without naming her.
    A shame, because I love Richard's voice and he was a gifted performer on stage.

Ha ha - good one; she makes her way to the forefront of every book, both new and old, named or unnamed!