thanks all! you have given me an education. but many of these links are to hdh productions and not to songs written and produced by them ... but the inviticus label does have a consistent sound. surprisingly, it sounds nothing like the late, very intricate songs that hdh layed down at motown. inviticus's singers are much rougher around the edges and do not seem to have the powerful individuality of reeves, stubbs, isley, ross, etc. the label does not have the polish of motown, but perhaps hdh no longer wanted that, which seems odd because hdh were always using the smooth sounds if the andantes to augment their later motown records.

i personally don't care for the direction hdh took after leaving motown, especially since they seemed to be continually building on their previous songs at motown. to hear them step back into a less complex way of writing and producing is a disappointment to me.

despite all of your examples i don't see a case that shows anything but a steep decline in hdh's authority as songwriters and producers. the inviticus work is an interesting postscript to an amazing career at motown, and not much more. i will still not be buying that huge soon to be released boxed set, but if anyone wants to send it to me as a gift. i won't refuse!