[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes, ''You Gave Me Love''

Sorry, just post a reply on another thread with this song, but I think it needs it's own thread, lol.

I think it could have been a huge hit, if it had been release as a single.

Always been my favorite non-hit from DRS.

Great pics on this video.

Enjoy

supremester Guest
    I love this cut. I was so thrilled to hear it the first time as I really wasn't keen on the previous album. This might have been a better follow up to Im Living In Shame

Big favourite of mine too. A good feeling song.

I liked Jimmy Ruffin's version too.

I like Jimmy's version too, but Diana sounds on really top form with this one. She's firing at her notes and giving them sparkle and electricity, instead of straining at the top of her range. Diana clearly enjoyed recording it.

Yes, in many ways superior to "ILIS" and much better than "The Composer" [[which was thin, shrill and nowhere near as good as Smokey's own version)

Another one of those tracks where Motown UK could have thought "oh what the hell" and just released it....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 05-04-2014 at 08:07 AM.

thought this was a great cut.thought the entire lp was lush sounding

"Can't You See" and "You Gave Me Love" both have hit written all over them but Diana was on her way out and "Someday" was already announce as the last single. To me it seemed like Cream of The Crop [[even the name) was an unfinished product. I am going on memory but I think they even reached back and pulled a song that Flo was on.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I like Jimmy's version too, but Diana sounds on really top form with this one. She's firing at her notes and giving them sparkle and electricity, instead of straining at the top of her range. Diana clearly enjoyed recording it.

Yes, in many ways superior to "ILIS" and much better than "The Composer" [[which was thin, shrill and nowhere near as good as Smokey's own version)

Another one of those tracks where Motown UK could have thought "oh what the hell" and just released it....
    You Gave Me Love certainly does sound as if it had hit single potential.

At that stage however I don't think Tamla Motown in the UK ever really thought of deviating from the tracks the girls released as singles in the US -they simply followed the pattern with the exception of not releasing The Composer at all as a single.

Oddly it was the recordings with The Temptations which broke the mould. The first single to get UK only release was when I Second That Emotion was released instead of I'll Try Something New followed then by Why [[Must we Fall In Love).

It was only after the campaign by DJ Tony Blackburn to have Diana's I'm Still Waiting issued as a single in the UK and it became a monster hit that TM seemed to get the confidence to choose Diana's singles here rather than follow the US.

Love this and "Shadows of Society" [[which I wonder was meant for the more serious social message version of the "Love Child" album) and "Can't You See".
    "Cream of the Crop" always felt like bits and pieces thrown together, but, those songs standout for me.
    And the pictures in this video are great! Its amazing 50 years strong there are still photos I haven't seen before.