[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross worth the Wait at the Meyerson + Endless Love Returns

Diva Diana Ross worth the wait at the Meyerson, even on a school night

By Dawn Burkes
    dburkes@dallasnews.com
    12:13 pm on April 24, 2014 | Permalink

Diana Ross ruled the stage on Wednesday night at the 23rd annual Arts Performance Event benefiting Vogel Alcove. An orchestra and her band, along with stellar backup singers, were the night cap for the organization's celebration. [[Nan Coulter/Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News)

The waiting was the hardest part during An Evening With Diana Ross on Wednesday at the Meyerson Symphony Center.

The line to get in the doors of the hall snaked along the corridor at the printed start time of 8 p.m. for Vogel Alcove’s 23rd annual Arts Performance Event.

Vogel Alcove, represented on video by president and CEO Karen Hughes, donors and volunteers, offers therapeutic and childcare services for homeless families. The organization recently moved into the old City Park Elementary School building, gaining almost 40,000 square feet. This event is one of its key fund-raising efforts to maintain its unique place in the not-for-profit landscape.

David R. Weinreb, the CEO of the Howard Hughes Corp., spoke of his conditions when asked to be an event co-chair. One of them was that they must get one of the “top talents of our lifetime” backed by an orchestra.

Wish granted, but piecemeal.

The orchestra sat. And then nothing … for about 10 minutes.

So, this crowd started slow-clapping, with shouts of “Let’s go” and “Say something.” And then “I’m Coming Out,” natch, soared.

Ross knows drama. “Skinny girls,” let’s call them the Glittery Dozen, shimmied out from both sides of the stage one by one, each more bedazzled than the last. They met in the middle, broke off and strutted down the aisles. [[Here’s an idea: Auction off one of the dresses. My ends aren’t that long, but I would have made a symbolic bid on the white sequined dress with what appeared to be slices of watermelon along the bodice.)

“These are the costumes I used to wear when I was really skinny,” she said. “They just sit in storage.”

Ross never wastes time, singing while the models walked. She smoothly moved into a powerful “More Today Than Yesterday.” It didn’t hurt that her microphone seemed turned all the way up so she could be heard over the combined sound of the orchestra and band.

She acknowledged it later, asking, “Are we too loud?” Maybe, but it had the effect of sitting alone in the car with the windows up while blasting Ross’ greatest hits.

The rapid succession of songs from the Supremes — “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love” — along with a pose from 1975 film Mahogany reminded of how long she’s been performing. That, and the wedge-heeled shoes she now favors instead of stilettos. There was a nice moment during “You Can’t Hurry Love” when the orchestra pulled back, allowing her to take advantage of the vaunted acoustics.

Ross said that she had just come to town that morning and the orchestra had to learn “all this new music they had never played before.” After the show, one of the musicians said they had one 3-hour practice. That explains how these exquisite musicians – the band and orchestra – sometimes sounded as if they were playing a mashup.

That left the band with the heavy lifting. And those backup singers, too, who take on an extremely important role because of the extended cuts of the songs for Ross’ costume changes that weren’t quite as numerous as she’s been known to do.

Ross was subtle but firm with her direction to those onstage with her, giving a glimpse into how tight her ship is run. But with a wave of her hand there and a flick of her wrist to almost, not quite, push back her hair, she’d flash that smile and divert the audience’s attention to any shortcomings that probably only she and a few others could hear and see.

So, “Love Child” was how she liked it. She seemed to shimmer more, dancing her way through the song.

Even though she galloped through her repertoire, people started leaving as she left for what longtime fans knew would be a costume change. At other shows of hers, that disappearing act would have gotten applause and maybe even a standing ovation. At this one, 30 minutes into the show, the crowd who had been there since 6 for a reception took it as an opportunity to sneak out. Not even the crowd wants to disappoint the Boss.

Fans have so many songs from which to choose a favorite, so chances are she had hit it. So they bailed, as a Dallas weeknight crowd of a certain age is wont to do. Ross, even with the flubs, is fabulous enough that just a little dab will do you. Really, she had a wrangler for her boas.

“I want to see some chair-dancing out there,” she said after vamping her way through “It’s My House.” She invited a fan up to dance during “Upside Down,” and the woman was star-struck enough that the dancing became an afterthought to a hug.

A soothing “Endless Love” was many times better than the movie ever was [[either one). “Love Hangover,” still sexy and urgently dance-able, and “Ease on Down the Road” from The Wiz quickly followed.

Another costume change — bring out the boa wrangler – and another exodus: But Ross’ backup singers turned the Meyerson into a disco. The crowd was still standing for the singer’s return and an extended cover of “I Will Survive.”

Even as Ross asked the audience to get up and move, aggressive ushers told some people to sit down. It seemed selective to the point of annoyance. In one row alone, one could count at last four people using their phones to take pictures and snap video in clear violation of the pre-show announcement. But they weren’t bothered. A row away, people were asked to shut their phones off.

Ross finally left the stage for what seemed like the final time, but returned with the Dozen. With more than half the house gone, it became a meh moment and an encore never came. And that was a shame.

The band and the orchestra were, ahem, just getting into the swing of things and Ross was ready, microphone in hand.

No matter. With her iconic everything – hair, costumes, smile, etc. – she might have shrugged and left the stage. But a triumphant star confident of her ability to move this crowd, even if it was toward the door on a school night, just waved, flicked her hair [[again) and said, “I’ll see you next time.”

Yes, ma’am.

smark21 Guest
    I was about to post this. Here's the link. At least this report will make Marv happy as half the audience walked out on her before the encore.

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com...y-center.html/

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I was about to post this. Here's the link. At least this report will make Marv happy as half the audience walked out on her before the encore.

That pre-encore walkout is pretty standard save for the fans. I've seen it at Madonna and Tina concerts too. Many don't expect an encore OR don't want to deal with the BS of getting out and the hassle of traffic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    That pre-encore walkout is pretty standard save for the fans. I've seen it at Madonna and Tina concerts too. Many don't expect an encore OR don't want to deal with the BS of getting out and the hassle of traffic, etc.
    I would stay for the encore of almost any 60's artist! For sure any Motown ones ~ even the remnants of the 60's groups.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I would stay for the encore of almost any 60's artist! For sure any Motown ones ~ even the remnants of the 60's groups.
    I attended this show and was quite surprised by the audience. Members and corporate sponsors purchased the largest percentage of tickets before they were made available to the public. This left true fans in the upper balcony and a very reserved crowd in floor seating. Diana playfully tried to coax the audience early in the show, but I imagine she recognized the type of audience there and simply moved on with the show. She was wonderful, as usual, in spite of the room.

JohnnyB: Can you shed more light on what seems to be a new intro for the show? Did she have dancers wearing some of her gowns from the past? That would be cool!

smark21 Guest
    Maybe the people left because they were tired of the same old set list and gowns from Diana Ross? Certainly some Ross fans at Facebook have been complaining about why her show and gowns haven't changed much in the last 7 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    JohnnyB: Can you shed more light on what seems to be a new intro for the show? Did she have dancers wearing some of her gowns from the past? That would be cool!
    The Intro: As the orchestra played an overture and the video montage introduced in 2010 played, 12 models "came out" wearing various gowns from Diana's stage collection, some dating back to the seventies. Each model descended the staircase and excited through the audience. Some of the models sported Diana's hair as well, leading some audience members to wonder which was actually Diana. Finally, the real Diana entered singing I'm Comin' Out. It was a nice idea and added a level of drama to the intro...

They just got up and left? OMG! LOL!!!! Po Diane..........hehehehehehehehehe.....!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The Intro: As the orchestra played an overture and the video montage introduced in 2010 played, 12 models "came out" wearing various gowns from Diana's stage collection, some dating back to the seventies. Each model descended the staircase and excited through the audience. Some of the models sported Diana's hair as well, leading some audience members to wonder which was actually Diana. Finally, the real Diana entered singing I'm Comin' Out. It was a nice idea and added a level of drama to the intro...
    Thank you JohnnyB! That sounds amazing! I hope she will keep that intro for all of the summer shows as well. I also hope someone filmed it last night. Would love to see!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thank you JohnnyB! That sounds amazing! I hope she will keep that intro for all of the summer shows as well. I also hope someone filmed it last night. Would love to see!
    You're welcome!

It says here that they started walking out on her way before any encore; they started walking out after just 30 mins. into the show:

"At this one, 30 minutes into the show, the crowd who had been there since 6 for a reception took it as an opportunity to sneak out......"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It says here that they started walking out on her way before any encore; they started walking out after just 30 mins. into the show:

"At this one, 30 minutes into the show, the crowd who had been there since 6 for a reception took it as an opportunity to sneak out......"
    Does this cause sexual excitement or are you too old for that? Or wrong gender?

As usual the same old tired posters have to take this topic negative. Makes those of us who love SDF run for the hills. May I suggest your own yahoo group called Bash Her Miss Ross?

Does this cause sexual excitement or are you too old for that? Or wrong gender?
    IF she can't keep an audience in the building and in their seats until the end of her show, then maybe it is time to hang it up! Was her performance that unbearable?

Marv the only thing unbearable around this Forum is you

supremester Guest
    Maybe. Would you like to read the review reporting a 5 minute after encore ovation last night at The Hard Rock?
    If not, and audience leaving is your criteria, perhaps you'd enjoy page 56 of Supreme Faith "Mary's 'painful, mortifying' Nightmare" in 1971: "........waiting for the applause for us to return. Nothing. We returned to the stage to find the audience out of their seats heading for the door." [[She doesn't mention the injuries from people climbing over each other to get out before the medley from Dynamite. )
    Should JMC have hung it up in '71, Marv? hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

IF she can't keep an audience in the building and in their seats until the end of her show, then maybe it is time to hang it up! Was her performance that unbearable?
    Last edited by supremester; 04-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Lulu Guest
    I'm not sure why the writer was so interested in people leaving while at the same time sugar coating everything else about the show. Also, it's Texas. I don't even bother reading the news in Texas and Florida anymore. Wasn't it FL where Babs was boooooood for her little GWB parody? At least Diana didn't tell the folks to "sit in your f*cking seats" like Babs' legendary "STFU"! Either way, who cares? Like most should be, I was interested in the set list, how she sounded and her costumes. I'm literally rolling my eyes that this has turned into another stupid high school BS discussion.

supremester Guest
    Well, I am glad those leaving we able to leave without being screamed at. I had a friend at The MGM when Babs was there and she wanted seat fillers when anyone went to the bathroom within her eyeview!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Well, I am glad those leaving we able to leave without being screamed at. I had a friend at The MGM when Babs was there and she wanted seat fillers when anyone went to the bathroom within her eyeview!
    LOL! Bless her heart that funny girl!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    When will everyone learn that the best way to deal with marv2 is to simply ignore him and stop bringing him up in conversations. Period.

Ross: so I should not use my sharp pointy needle for a good jab even once in a while??

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    When will everyone learn that the best way to deal with marv2 is to simply ignore him and stop bringing him up in conversations. Period.
    This is true but sometimes it's hard to resist throwing a little shade.

Lulu Guest
    It can also be fun to debate back and forth but once it gets to name calling and bashing, it gets a little ridiculous. I'm a staunch Democrat and have worked for and been friends with mostly Republicans as an adult and we enjoy our silly little debates because we keep it clean and light and just laugh about how ridiculous we think our respective candidates' opposition are.

RossHolloway Guest
    Ross: so I should not use my sharp pointy needle for a good jab even once in a while??
    Naw, please do not feed the trolls. It only encourages him.

RossHolloway Guest
    I understand, but please do not feed the trolls, it just keep him coming back for more and it turns a lot of readers off. This should be a place of enjoyment. There's a troll on every blog, but if you ignore them then eventually he will go away or change his behavior.

supremester Guest
    Ross: I assume you are a huge Brenda fan - aren't those recent clips with The V's amazing?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Ross: I assume you are a huge Brenda fan - aren't those recent clips with The V's amazing?
    YES! I thought they both sounded fantastic, and the backing band did an amazing job too. I sure wish we could see them both stateside.

I was surprised how good the V's sounded.

I'll hold on the pointy jab to the best extent I can manage.

Tired of reading that she still begin with I'm Coming Out, and end-it with I Will Survive, too bad, was hoping for something new, especially since I got my ticket for Montreal Jazz festival, July 3rd.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbell View Post
    Tired of reading that she still begin with I'm Coming Out, and end-it with I Will Survive, too bad, was hoping for something new, especially since I got my ticket for Montreal Jazz festival, July 3rd.
    I basically agree. I am holding out until I hear more over the next few weeks.

supremester Guest
    Both acts sounded so good and looked so good. i loved that they closed with I'll Keep Holding On and the band was on fire - what a show! I'd love to see a show maybe with The Flos, Dennis', Tempts, Brenda, The V's........ sensational show. Or, add Martha in there. How much do you think people would pay to see a Motown Revue like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    YES! I thought they both sounded fantastic, and the backing band did an amazing job too. I sure wish we could see them both stateside.

smark21 Guest
    Here's another review from Dallas: http://frontrow.dmagazine.com/2014/0...n-performance/

smark21 Guest
    Maybe the walk outs by the big donors sitting up front will motivate her to work harder to hold onto the audience for the rest of the tour. Perhaps she got a tad too comfortable performing for an audience where many of the same die hard fans are sitting up front?

Lulu Guest
    This is actually a really lovely review. Thanks for posting. The crowd does sound kinda stuffy though and as I said, it is Texas...I'll pass on the drama with this story!

Maybe it was when she dropped her big bird like covering and revealed just how big she has gotten! ...... maybe the audience began to fear for their safety as if she might leap from the stage and eat them. You know like, in a sci-fi film, "the Diva that Ate Dallas"! Check it all out here in this clip at 10:50 as she reveals her true self, hehehehehehe.....

Last edited by marv2; 04-25-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Maybe it was when she dropped her big bird like covering and revealed just how big she has gotten! ...... maybe the audience began to fear for their safety as if she might leap from the stage and eat them. You know like, in a sci-fi film, "the Diva that Ate Dallas"! Check it all out here in this clip at 10:50 as she reveals her true self, hehehehehehe.....

You dont like Diane Ross but you watch her clips and can point right to the second mark that shes gained some weight. obesessed? just a tad heheheheheheheheheheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You dont like Diane Ross but you watch her clips and can point right to the second mark that shes gained some weight. obesessed? just a tad heheheheheheheheheheheheh
    How could you not like Diana Ross, she is hilarious; She's just a harmless, fat, happy Diva! LOL!!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Please EVERYONE do not respond to marv2. Do not feed the trolls.

Line up her former Motown colleagues beside her and she is still the skinny one in the middle!

In defence of the others, this is what happens at 70. Guys add the weight in the gut; women add it to their butt and hips.

honest man Guest
    When will everyone learn that the best way to deal with marv2 is to simply ignore him and stop bringing him up in conversations. Period. WHY SHOULD WE,HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOOTED FROM THIS SITE YEARS AGO.

K, JRob will go "Troll Free".

I still prefer her and Lionel together.

At least from the video post by Marv2, she is back with a lot of musicians and orchestra, that's a+, on the other end she doesn't move much, so I guess i'll have to wait for my own show, to appreciate...by the way, it will be my 20th. time that i will attend one of his concert, [[solo, or as a Supremes). Wish I could send her a special request: love to see her singing, ''I'm Still Waiting'', that was a big hit in the U'K', and still does it there, and was always a favorite of mine, as soon as I heard that song, tought would have been a good follow up to Ain't No Mountain High.

At least from the video post by Marv2, she is back with a lot of musicians and orchestra, that's a+, on the other end she doesn't move much, so I guess i'll have to wait for my own show, to appreciate...by the way, it will be my 20th. time that i will attend one of his concert, [[solo, or as a Supremes). Wish I could send her a special request: love to see her singing, ''I'm Still Waiting'', that was a big hit in the U'K', and still does it there, and was always a favorite of mine, as soon as I heard that song, tought would have been a good follow up to Ain't No Mountain High.
    "I'm Still Waiting" really was a very nice song. I never understood why it did not do better here in the U.S. I don't remember it much on the radio at the time, but still she did a great job with the song.

"I'm Still Waiting" really was a very nice song. I never understood why it did not do better here in the U.S. I don't remember it much on the radio at the time, but still she did a great job with the song.
    Thanks for poting that comment, you are not that bad after all, lol...that's what they are posting, not me, not here very often to judge.

Here is a good video of that song:

Last edited by johnbell; 04-26-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks for poting that comment, you are not that bad after all, lol...that's what they are posting, not me, not here very often to judge.
    John, pay them no mind. I have been a member of this forum going on 12 years now, I dont pay them much attention as they offer very little to the overall enrichment of the forum.

Diana Ross Reasserted Glamour and Greatness in Meyerson Performance.

Monday, 28 April 2014 - 10:21 | Download hirunews app on Android & Apple

diana-ross-reasserted-glamour-greatness-in-meyerson-performance
    Diana Ross did her best to draw energy from a crowd that was required to wear proper business attire, and she did an excellent job.

It was the 23rd Annual Arts Performance Event for Vogel Alcove, an organization that offers childcare services for impoverished and homeless families.

The singer was in good company considering the history of this event. Itzhak Perlman played in 1992 and Ray Charles performed in 1994.

It was stated that this is one of the most important fundraising operations that Vogel Alcove organizes all year.