[REMOVE ADS]

The 5 Most Important People In Music Today

In the Motown Forum because these people know how to influence in the same way Motown did:

1. Beyoncé

2. Pharell Williams

3. Avicii

4. Sia

5. Kendrick Lamar

Does everyone/anyone know all these people?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    In the Motown Forum because these people know how to influence in the same way Motown did:

1. Beyoncé

2. Pharell Williams

3. Avicii

4. Sia

5. Kendrick Lamar

What's your basis on choosing these 5? I don't know that any of them would have made my Top 5 list.

Sorry, this is a recent Issue of People Magazine. They have little paragraphs setting out their reasoning. i.e. Beyoncé dropping the album with no notice, doing videos for all of them and the album getting better with each listen. Pharell being a hot producer and at his peak with Blurred Lines and Happy. Kendrick was recognized because McLemore called him and said he should have won a Grammy that McLemore did. Sia is a sought after writer by the likes of Rhianna and Beyoncé. And Avicii is a Swedish star heading out on a large American tour.

But not my choices; I'm far too old to be choosing these people. But Pharell is awesome.

Two out of five - well, at least 1.), vaguely only heard of some of 2.). But as for me, I really don't care for "new" music today, last "important" new artist thoroughly enjoyed, Norah Jones, "Come Away With Me", and even that was ten-eleven years back.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-23-2014 at 10:00 PM.

I really haven't heard of any of them except for Beyoncé. And I am not even a fan of hers. I do not care for today music at all. The only current artist that I have bought is Enrique Iglesias. He usually has a few songs on his albums that I enjoy.

Not in my world.

200 Million Hits on Youtube.

Motown WAS the Sound Of Young America....now it's the sound of the 'early bird special"!

smark21 Guest
    At the soulful Detroit Motown sub forum, the five most important people in music are:

Berry Gordy
    Diana Ross
    Mary Wilson
    Shantal Baker
    Diane Ross

Smark21 is amongst the funniest and is probably the most sarcastic.

Haven't heard of two of them, and I don't care for any of them. Beyonce I can understand. Not at all with the rest of them.

Within the last few years, I would have said [[in no order): Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Adele, and Janelle Monae.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 04-24-2014 at 11:35 AM.

I don't think any of us expect lots of people on SD to know the new acts. Only a few with have the longevity of the artists we know.

I don't know any Beyoncé songs but she seems to have a huge following.

I think Pharell has possibilities for longevity too.

And both of those artists appear to have "business instincts" as well.

I always feel bad when I see "our" artists with some pretty small You Tube numbers compared to these new artists. I particularly noticed it with Up the Ladder to the Roof ~ it seems to be one of our favorite songs and it is nowhere near what is popular. And some of our artists have only 1000 hits on some of there songs.

If people don't know who Beyonce is at this point, I don't know what to tell 'em.

Pharrell's latest song seems to make him influential this year.

Sia is a singer-songwriter and a lot of her songs have been made hits by others.

Avicii is a deejay and people dig his EDM sound.

Kendrick Lamar is one of the best hip-hop recording acts out right now.

----
    Yes I'm a young'un... some of y'all are showing your age though.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    If people don't know who Beyonce is at this point, I don't know what to tell 'em.

Sia is a singer-songwriter and a lot of her songs have been made hits by others.

----
    You do know these people. Your synopsis is shorter than but similar to People Magazine's. I know a little bit of this from the gym.

Pharell's song Happy is huge.

1. Beyoncé

2. Pharell Williams

3. Avicii

4. Sia

5. Kendrick Lamar

I know most of them, and I like a couple of them. But, so you care to tell me how all of these people are influential?

----
    Hey, I'm young and I only know two of these people!

I don't really understand the criteria for the selections to this list. What? No Clive Davis? What happened? LOL!

Sorry, this is a recent Issue of People Magazine. They have little paragraphs setting out their reasoning. i.e. Beyoncé dropping the album with no notice, doing videos for all of them and the album getting better with each listen. Pharell being a hot producer and at his peak with Blurred Lines and Happy. Kendrick was recognized because McLemore called him and said he should have won a Grammy that McLemore did. Sia is a sought after writer by the likes of Rhianna and Beyoncé. And Avicii is a Swedish star heading out on a large American tour.

But not my choices; I'm far too old to be choosing these people. But Pharell is awesome.
    Why should your age have anything to do with it? Music knows no age. I happen to listen to some of these people, even bought Pharrell Williams' album "G I R L". However, per the article, I fail to see how any of them, aside from Pharrell, is important. And, my buddy likes Kendrick Lemar, but I don't.

----
    Yes, the people on this forum must be up there in years. I'm in my early 50s, but I keep up with what's going on in music. One thing I inherited from my parents is to stay young. Listen to new music by the youth culture, know what matters to the younger generations, and see the world from their view. I refuse to get old and set in my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't really understand the criteria for the selections to this list. What? No Clive Davis? What happened? LOL!
    Clive Davis is as old as dirt, and not relevant to today's music. he may have been influential for five decades, but his time is now passed.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Clive Davis is as old as dirt, and not relevant to today's music. he may have been influential for five decades, but his time is now passed.
    I have to totally agree. Pharrell and Beyonce make sense. JayZ? hmmmm.......I don't know. A few years ago they might have included people like P.Diddy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Yes, the people on this forum must be up there in years. I'm in my early 50s, but I keep up with what's going on in music. One thing I inherited from my parents is to stay young. Listen to new music by the youth culture, know what matters to the younger generations, and see the world from their view. I refuse to get old and set in my ways.
    That's my goal in life too. I was once that young'un that was like "forget new music, old music is where it's at." I don't think like that anymore.

That's my goal in life too. I was once that young'un that was like "forget new music, old music is where it's at." I don't think like that anymore.
    No need to set a goal, just live it!

You know what makes eyes roll? When someone talks about contemporary artists and music, and some old fart starts talking about the old stuff, and how much "better" it is.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-25-2014 at 02:40 PM.

I don't see anything wrong with someone saying how 'old' music is better than 'new' music. That's personal taste. Frankly, I don't care too much for a lot of modern music. With some exceptions, I think older music is better. It's like someone thinking rock is better than country, or rap better than techno, etc.

Lulu Guest

1. Beyoncé

2. Pharell Williams

3. Avicii

4. Sia

5. Kendrick Lamar

I would agree with the first two, particularly with regards to the last year. Bey is on the cover of Time this week as part another influential people piece.

smark21 Guest
    I don't think any of us expect lots of people on SD to know the new acts. Only a few with have the longevity of the artists we know.

I don't know any Beyoncé songs but she seems to have a huge following.

I think Pharell has possibilities for longevity too.

And both of those artists appear to have "business instincts" as well.

I always feel bad when I see "our" artists with some pretty small You Tube numbers compared to these new artists. I particularly noticed it with Up the Ladder to the Roof ~ it seems to be one of our favorite songs and it is nowhere near what is popular. And some of our artists have only 1000 hits on some of there songs.
    Pharrell has been around for 15 years now in various capacities [[most significantly as a producer) so I say he's well on his way to longevity.