[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Diahann Carroll Motown Album

I accidentally posted this in the other forum:

Diahann Carroll has long been a favorite of mine: from the early films with Dorothy Dandridge to No Strings through July, Dynasty and beyond. Almost all of her albums have been rereleased on CD or in digital format but it seems her 1974 Motown LP only languishes in the vinyl world. Has anyone heard of a CD release of this album over the years? Her Dynasty days which carried her through to '86 seemed an opportune time to rerelease the album on CD as we were treated to a healthy dose of rereleases that year.

Answered on the other forum. I just agreed with you that this would be a nice album to have on CD.

This song is one of my favourites. It would be nice to see this re-released.

It was a rather non-descript lp, and a project that Gordy often did when trying to bring Diana Ross's competition to it's knees: Sign that artist, put out a product with no promotion and sink their careers. When an artist leaves a major label, or is dropped, without a hit record the best they can hope for is a smaller label to take them on because rarely would a larger label invest in them. Carroll was fresh off the success of her Julia show and was even considered for the Billie Holiday movie. Like with Barbara McNair before, Leslie Uggams after, these ladies were signed to "Ross's" label, offered no promotion beyond promises of such. I think I saw one ad in Billboard for Carroll's lp.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It was a rather non-descript lp, and a project that Gordy often did when trying to bring Diana Ross's competition to it's knees: Sign that artist, put out a product with no promotion and sink their careers. When an artist leaves a major label, or is dropped, without a hit record the best they can hope for is a smaller label to take them on because rarely would a larger label invest in them. Carroll was fresh off the success of her Julia show and was even considered for the Billie Holiday movie. Like with Barbara McNair before, Leslie Uggams after, these ladies were signed to "Ross's" label, offered no promotion beyond promises of such. I think I saw one ad in Billboard for Carroll's lp.
    But Barbara promptly left Motown and starred in her own TV series. Not bad. I think Diahann's album was very good, it was very similar to the type of fare Vikki Carr would record.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    But Barbara promptly left Motown and starred in her own TV series. Not bad. I think Diahann's album was very good, it was very similar to the type of fare Vikki Carr would record.
    If this came out in 1974, I'd say Diahann was just coming off of her Oscar nomination for Claudine. In all seriousness though, when MOTOWN went CD in the 80s, Diahann's popularity was soaring again thanks to Dynasty and The Colbys. I'm sure it would have sold pretty well if they had rereleased it in 1986-1987.

BTW, I got a chance to meet her in New York when her last memoir came out - she was so down to earth and friendly!

supremester Guest
    Who is your source for the promises of promotion and then none given? I ask because neither Barbara, Diahann nor Leslie were newcomers to the industry or recording. ALL had recorded previously. Who, in their right mind, would spend a lot promoting three women with absolutely zero pop fan base? I think your axiom is a giant stretch. Make that mammoth. Gordy also failed to launch Soupy Sales, Paul Peterson and Sammy Davis Jr - was that part of the plan to throw us off the scent? Do you know what percentage of albums by personalities/singers with no recording track record ever hit? What was stopping these three threats from hitting before or after Motown? Why didn't Columbia snatch them up and show Motown up? How did Gladys get through the iron gate of quashed careers? Did Gordy think Grapevine and Neither One Of Us were duds? Is that why he fought Gladys and made her record If I Were Your Woman - so she could fail on national prime time television a few dozen times??

Respectfully, I say to thee: I vehemently disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

supremester Guest
    I bought tix to see Diahann in Raisin In The Sun the day they went on sale. I was so disappointed when she asked out. The woman who played her part was brilliant, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    If this came out in 1974, I'd say Diahann was just coming off of her Oscar nomination for Claudine. In all seriousness though, when MOTOWN went CD in the 80s, Diahann's popularity was soaring again thanks to Dynasty and The Colbys. I'm sure it would have sold pretty well if they had rereleased it in 1986-1987.

BTW, I got a chance to meet her in New York when her last memoir came out - she was so down to earth and friendly!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I bought tix to see Diahann in Raisin In The Sun the day they went on sale. I was so disappointed when she asked out. The woman who played her part was brilliant, however.
    I was totally bummed too! I still may go see it.

BTW, Agree with what you said about Gordy, etc. I call bullsh*t on all of the "sabotage" crap. Diahann Carroll was A HUGE deal on her own: The first black woman to win a Tony AND headline her own television series. Hello?!?

supremester Guest
    The show is great - VERY well acted [[saw a couple duds that week, so this was a relief) and there's nothing wrong with Denzel ; )

Poor Mary made some very well worded crocks of BS in her books concerning conspiracies and it's easy to believe them if you don't give them even a passing thought. Now, some people think every failed record at Motown is to protect Miss Ross. I'm sure Bayou doesn't take it that seriously, but some do!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    The show is great - VERY well acted [[saw a couple duds that week, so this was a relief) and there's nothing wrong with Denzel ; )

Poor Mary made some very well worded crocks of BS in her books concerning conspiracies and it's easy to believe them if you don't give them even a passing thought. Now, some people think every failed record at Motown is to protect Miss Ross. I'm sure Bayou doesn't take it that seriously, but some do!
    That's such a crock of crap. I've read both of Diahann's books and she had very kind words about Mr. Gordy, Diana and Lady Sings The Blues. She, McNair and Uggams were established stars before and after as was Lynda Carter who I mentioned also got a taste of Motown and is bopping along with her cabaret act happy as a clam and, in the case of the first time I saw her, also giving props to Motown and Diana in her stage banter [[she sang "Where Did Our Love Go").