[REMOVE ADS]

~~~ r.i.p. Deon jackson ~~~

SAD NEWS:
    I am both saddened and shocked to get the news DEON JACKSON has passed away. There wasn't many singers in the music business as nice as him, a kind and gentle soul.
    I first met "De" in late 1965 when we were both 19 years old. We spoke a few times over the years on the phone but hadn't seen each other since the 1960's. Still he remained as one of the nicest people I ever met which is why there was a special place in my heart for him.
    Rest in Heaven my old friend, everyone who ever knew you was touched and will never forget you.
    PHOTO c. Jeanie Scott [[1966) ~ Not for reproduction without my written permission ~
    "Sweet De" ~
    Name:  543775_472297699504283_1163428662_n.jpg
Views: 3357
Size:  14.9 KB

S.S.

This is a sad surprise. I really liked Deon Jackson's music. I still have an original copy of his 1966 album, Love Makes the World Go 'Round. Rest in peace Deon and thanks for one of my favorite songs.

Marv

Timeless....................

He gave the music world one of the most enduring soul classics of all time,i've always thought of deon jackson as one of the most undereatted voices and i'm proud to have his music in my collection..r.i.p.

Sad news indeed ...
    This one is still very popular here in England ..

R.I.P. DEON JACKSON

Roger

Love that one too, Roger.
    "Love Takes A Long Time Growing" is my fav for personal reasons.

S.S.

Remembering good times with "De" so long ago ~
    His insides matched his outside both pretty and sweet ~
    Name:  Deon Jackson.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  10.6 KB

He loved those polka dot shirts and had them in all colors ~
    Name:  10002976_491355787658329_7580480174734786975_n.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  28.2 KB

S.S.

http://youtu.be/TSfvCEKdHZE

Sing it pretty........
    S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Love that one too, Roger.
    "Love Takes A Long Time Growing" is my fav for personal reasons.

S.S.
    I remembered this song from being played on the radio back then but for a long time I didn't know who it was. It wasn't a big hit and I always wondered why not. To me, It was a perfect follow up to LMTWGA. I posted a story that appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times a few years ago about Deon working security at a suburban Chicago school. The students there were tripped out to find that Deon could sing and once had a hit record. I called the school and left a voice mail message for Deon telling him about SDF and the folks here who appreciated his talent, songs and career. I am sad to hear this news also. I guess they put Deon under the one hit wonder banner even though I don't agree. If you listen to the compilation of his recordings on Golden Grooves there is some great stuff there like Love Takes A Long Time Growing, Hush Little Baby, You're Gonna Wake Up Wiser, I Need A Love Like Your and I Can't Do Without You. Those are very good songs by any standard.

Anyone know how he died? I don't see any info on the net.

So true Mr. June.

His family hasn't made it public. His son did contact me on FB.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    So true Mr. June.

His family hasn't made it public. His son did contact me on FB.

S.S.
    Soul Sister, please send Deon's son our sincere condolences. Thank you.

Marv

In our hearts and minds, we may dream and feel our days when we all were in our 20's, but in reality we are now the seniors and in a blink of an eye...

RIP Deon Jackson, your songs of love truly made the 'world go round' in a happier time. My condolences to his family.

Lorraine

Deon's Obituary:

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014...1946-2014.html

Also radio station CKWW [[580-AM) Just did an on air obit of Deon.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by lorraineC View Post
    In our hearts and minds, we may dream and feel our days when we all were in our 20's, but in reality we are now the seniors and in a blink of an eye...

RIP Deon Jackson, your songs of love truly made the 'world go round' in a happier time. My condolences to his family.

Lorraine
    How true and sorta sad. This U.K. site states how he died. http://www.soul-source.co.uk/_/words...rip-r2896?st=0
    Last edited by mr_june; 04-23-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Marv2.
    Thank you for posting that, "De" was always a very humble and classy person like that.

Lorraine,
    What you said sadly is our reality, we are loosing too many friends and someone still in their 60's is shocking. "De" was only 6 months older than me.

S.S.

I'd also like to add although I met or were aquainted with a lot of the entertainers from our era I will say outside of my husband Jimmy Scott....Deon Jackson was the most humblest, kindest, and most decent entertainer/singer of them all. To be honest most do not carry themselves with that kind of class and treat every person they meet with love, respect, and patience. Jimmy always said he'd never want to hurt anyone's feelings, he makes everyone feel as though they are "special". "De" was kind like that too plus they had morals other entertainers did not. They are both rare gems in a tough street like business, they lived a clean and decent life. I'm not preaching but trust me they are rare diamonds among coal.

S.S.

Hi sis,a question that you might know,on his great recording[ooo baby]from about[1966]do you know if motown musicians were used because it has that motown feel to it..thanks.

Hi R & B,
    No, I don't know. Could be the same musicians who played on the whole album [[?).
    Have you tried googling it?

S.S.

Just yesterday I met and had drinks with a lady that was from Ann Arbor and went to H.S. at the same time Deon did. She did not know he had passed.

I've been thinking about Deon ever since I read the report here. He was underrated as a singer. Deon had the ability to sing normal and high. Check out his song "Your Gonna Wake Up Wiser" [[normal voice). I know I'll get blasted but I liked his voice better than that Smokey guy.

I bet he enjoyed & was proud of Mary Wells' cover of "Love Makes The World Go Around" on her Two Sides of Mary Wells, Atco 1966. The song sounded like it was written for her at the time.

Deon was one of my favorite singers may he RIP

The man had a heart of gold, which everyone who's ever known him can attest too!!

"De" early 1970's ~
    Name:  84129454.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  36.7 KB

S.S.