[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. To be fair, Dreamgirls generated a lot of buzz in Diana Ross, particularly among the younger Beyonce crowd as did the BET Awards the next year. The crowds at both the Hollywood Bowl and NJPAC last year had a good deal of folks in their 20s and 30s in attendance. The bigger Diana Ross fan groups online, particularly "The Ultimate Fans" have quite a few members as early as high school through folks in their 20's, 30s and early 40s. Diana and The Supremes are recognizable "legacy" artists right up there with The Beatles, Elvis and The Stones. They certainly aren't AS widely favored as those other acts but in terms of female artists, there really aren't many from that era that continue to draw an age-diverse crowd. Cher perhaps although I can't speak from experience. Barbra Streisand's audience tends to lean a little older.
    I left out the White House Christmas concert. The Obama generation had Diana Ross "trending" online after that aired.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is called a cult. Kinda like those people that use to follow the Grateful Dead around from concert to concert and see them multiple times in a year. Those were not new fans.
    My friends in Los Angeles who attended [[different groups of friends went to see her) are hardly the "Cult of Ross": many enjoyed her run with the Supremes but given the age and demographic, most of them were more "Love Hangover"/The Boss/diana lovers and would probably also turn out for Nile Rodgers/CHIC, Blondie, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    My friends in Los Angeles who attended [[different groups of friends went to see her) are hardly the "Cult of Ross": many enjoyed her run with the Supremes but given the age and demographic, most of them were more "Love Hangover"/The Boss/diana lovers and would probably also turn out for Nile Rodgers/CHIC, Blondie, etc.
    Do you know that "Love Hangover" came out 38 years ago? LOL!!!!

Hey, I've got a birthday coming up! I don't need to be reminded of that!

Love Hangover has had many lives. It was remixed and released again in 1989 and then remixed again for the club kids by Frankie Knuckles in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey, I've got a birthday coming up! I don't need to be reminded of that!
    and you would be hard pressed to get me or anyone else to believe that young adults in their 20's and 30's have any interest in a song that came out that long ago before most of them were even born, let alone the artist that recorded it! LOL!!!

and you would be hard pressed to get me or anyone else to believe that young adults in their 20's and 30's have any interest in a song that came out that long ago before most of them were even born, let alone the artist that recorded it! LOL!!!
    It must be the remixes I remember...maybe the Frankie Knuckles version. I couldn't possibly be that old!

supremester Guest
    The internet has changed everything. There is video of The Hollywood Bowl concert last summer that clearly shows the age of the peeps attending! LOL!!!

This is the same concert YOU said was pre-sold to subscription holders and people were going because they had no choice. Then it was proved to you that it was an added event, not even on the schedule, and no seats were pre-sold! LOL!!!

HAPPY EASTER! LOL!!!

supremester Guest
    I'm the same way. I pretend my Grammy used to play her records when I was getting my diapers changed during Central Park.

Central Park was 32 years ago!

Ol' rockin' chair's gonna get me...........
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It must be the remixes I remember...maybe the Frankie Knuckles version. I couldn't possibly be that old!

From Marv2:
    Jobeterob, have you ever met Diane? Would you like to?

I would not call it meeting.

I'm ambivalent. She or I would have to go a long way.

I've seen how she writes and I'm not wildly impressed.

I know what she did when a fan lost his grandchildren; I've seen how her own children have done; I see how she never comments. I'm impressed by those things.

I've seen how you've acted; if she acts like you, then you are both miserable old goats who need to be put out to pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    The internet has changed everything. There is video of The Hollywood Bowl concert last summer that clearly shows the age of the peeps attending! LOL!!!

This is the same concert YOU said was pre-sold to subscription holders and people were going because they had no choice. Then it was proved to you that it was an added event, not even on the schedule, and no seats were pre-sold! LOL!!!

HAPPY EASTER! LOL!!!
    It has changed nothing. There ain't a kid in America interested in Diana Ross! LOL!

Here's Mary singing "A Bad Case of Loving You" on the Earth Day television special in 1990:

Lulu Guest

"Love Hangover" is prime disco along with Donna Summer's work, "I Will Survive", KC & The Sunshine Band and The Bee Gees. Today's club DJs have reverence for their predecessors like Larry Levan [[who was also fond of and spun the 70s Supremes quite a bit...), David Mancuso and Tom Moulton. It's not uncommon to go to a club in New York or Los Angeles in 2014 and hear Ross, Summer, Sister Sledge, Gaynor and Chic. Dimitri From Paris, Horse Meat Disco and Joey Negro often include these artists in their sets. The gay community has embraced "I'm Coming Out" for 33 years now and it is still revered by young and old gay people alike.

Lulu Guest
    It has changed nothing. There ain't a kid in America interested in Diana Ross! LOL!
    Again, this simply is not true. I mentioned Diana Ross: The Ultimate Fans and I'm sure those of us who are members in Roger's Group could find more than a few members who are in their early 20s or teens and have them join SDF. There is also a Supremes group which Roger administers that likely has the same folks on the members roster as the Diana Ross group. The Supremes group, by the way, celebrates ALL of the Supremes although the DMF lineup is the most discussed as it, as we all know is the most widely known.

I'm not sure what the point is of these generalizations and why we are muddling opinions with facts again. I feel no need to weigh in on Mary Wilson because I simply don't care. I do, however, consider myself a fan of the Supremes and Diana Ross and also have no interest or need to distort the facts. I am confident that I can back up everything I've said with examples, screenshots, testimonials and footnotes but there is no need for me to take it any further as I am confident in my truths.

Can everyone go enjoy Easter peacefully, please? Jesus would not be down for all this bickering!

Now here is one of my favorite performances of Mary doing the song! She absolutely ROCKS! One of the few women I've ever seen that can rock and looks so damned hot at the same time! LOL! No other of the Supremes were as effective singing Rock music than Mary Wilson! Enjoy.........

Last edited by marv2; 04-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.

supremester Guest
    and a bad hair day, too! LOL!!!

No wonder they kept cutting away from her closeups! LOL!!!

Woof Woof! LOL!!!

She looks like a test tube offspring of Lawrence Talbot! LOL!!!

Here's Mary singing "A Bad Case of Loving You" on the Earth Day television special in 1990:

Last edited by supremester; 04-19-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Believe it. I'm proof!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Believe it. I'm proof!
    Brad equalled Smark21 for ingenuity and created a good laugh. Marv2 hit the door square on.

supremester Guest
    That old, familiar thud: a sound from The Gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Brad equalled Smark21 for ingenuity and created a good laugh. Marv2 hit the door square on.