[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Re-entered Billboard Top 200 in August, 2013

supremester Guest
    There's always a spike in sales on hits packages when Miss Ross tours.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    There's always a spike in sales on hits packages when Miss Ross tours.
    Unless she added dates, she hasn't started the tour yet. It goes out around the 23rd of this month, if I recall correctly.

This was last August that the set debuted.

Not sure what the excitement was then.

Perhaps Universal had a promotion.

Sales aren't what they were in the 90's and so these Greatest Hits type sets can chart every once in a while by selling/downloading a few thousand copies. I believe sales of 10000 can get you into the Top 30.

supremester Guest
    That article was from last August - shortly after her sold out SoCal dates including The Hollywood Bowl. Every time Miss Ross tours, it's money-in-the-bank for Mary, HDH, A&S, Michael Masser and, hopefully, the estate of Frankie lymon. This will likely continue this year as I Hear A Symphony made the set list in Boca a few weeks ago. It hasn't been in a Diana Ross show for decades and even then, it wasn't the full version. I hope she does it in KC.

The Millennium set charted because of a $1.99 promotion from either the Google Play or Amazon download stores last August. I can't remember which one but the charting was due to download sales.

supremester Guest
    for 1.99 I'd have bought it myself, I didn't know about that. Must have been Google Play because I'd have known if it was Amazon. At 1.99 it's shocking it didn't debut higher. That would explain why it was The Millenium Collecttion and not The Ultimate, #1's or Gold sets - plus I believe it is the cheapest.

Dana Smart at Motown told me how sales spike during Ross tours and other public events. It happens for all acts. In the old days, stores used to stockpile product when big acts came to town. You can watch various charts to see it happen during the next tour. I have a bud who is a chart watcher extraordinaire and keeps me filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    The Millennium set charted because of a $1.99 promotion from either the Google Play or Amazon download stores last August. I can't remember which one but the charting was due to download sales.
    I wasn't going to get the Millennium sets until someone pointed out that there are different mixes on some of the songs. It's interesting that this thread came up as I was walking through Target just over the weekend and saw the Millennium disc in the rack. It was the first time I wondered why they used an early picture of Flo, Diana & Mary on the cover rather than one, say, from the A Go Go time period.

Interestingly I saw a site this weekend listing sales of the #1's at 1.3 million.