[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Celebrating 50th Anniversary of WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO

Interesting article about Mary celebrating the 50th anniversary of WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO. I believe it was recorded fifty years ago this week. The article lists Mary's accomplishments as a SUPREME and as a soloist. It was obvious that this article was a publicist's release and so I checked, and it is. Mary's publicist also does work for Anita Baker and Gladys.

it is a nice article [[although I wish it did not mention the summer release of Mary's ever forthcoming CD ) and it is a nice reminder that we have been enjoying The Supremes and their members for half a century.

Here is link to article

http://www.eurweb.com/2014/04/mary-w...irst-1-single/

And here is link to publicist

http://jdspr.com/clients.html

Are there any others here that are old enough to remember the release Where Did Our Love Go? Hard to believe that it is half a century.
    Congrats to all The Supremes, especially Diana, Flo and Mary, who started the dream.

Last edited by milven; 04-13-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Yes, I do very clearly remember the release of "Where did our love go?"

It came out here in the UK, in the August, on the Stateside label, while I was on school holidays. I had turned 14 years old in the previous month.

I had been buying the music papers every week for some time, and had noted the single rising up the US charts, until it hit Number One about the time of the UK release.

I had already been aware of The Supremes, having heard "When the lovelight.." being played at the beginning of that year.

When I first heard "Where did our love go?", it immediately impressed me. It had a clear, pop sound, a hypnotic repeating refrain, and a walloping loping beat, emphasised with handclaps and footstomps. There was a simplified sophistication to it, and a certain extra something about both the lead and the backing vocals. The accompanying publicity photos, and the very name 'The Supremes', exuded glamour. Their TV appearances simply compounded the image conveyed that the group was really something special.

The BBC started to play it, as they had already done with "My Guy" 2-3 months before and, to my young ears, there was a similar, readily identifiable sound, to back up what I had already read about the success in the States of Tamla-Motown music [[as I knew it) from Detroit.

I had already bought 'Heat Wave', 'Quicksand' and' My Guy'.

If I wasn't already eagerly awaiting each new release from that same label by then, I definitely did so with the release of "Where did our love go?"
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-13-2014 at 12:01 PM.

You go Mary! I don't care what anyone says here or anywhere else, she is the ONLY one that truly keeps the Supremes and their legacy up and out there in the World! Congratulations of this 50th Anniversary.

Yes,Congratulation to Mary Wilson Florence Ballard Diana Ross Cindy Birdsong and they're other Supremes sisters,Mary Wilson is the one that keeps The Supremes flame Alive,she won't let us forget The Supremes were at the Top,hit records,many tv shows and tv Special's,around the word,on the cover of magazine's,Books,sangs for Kings and Queen's,SRO,you're right Marv,Mary is the one that Keeps The Supermes Legacy out there,The Supremes made History,p.s Thanks Milven for postin' this,THE BEST
    Last edited by REDHOT; 04-13-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Yes,Congratulation to Mary Wilson Florence Ballard Diana Ross Cindy Birdsong and they're other Supremes sisters,Mary Wilson is the one that keeps The Supremes flame Alive,she won't let us forget The Supremes were at the Top,hit records,many tv shows and tv Special's,around the word,on the cover of magazine's,Books,sangs for Kings and Queen's,SRO,you're right Marv,Mary is the one that Keeps The Supermes Legacy out there,The Supremes made History,p.s Thanks Milven for postin' this,THE BEST
    I would like to see some of the major media outlets pick up on this milestone as they did for the Beatles 50th earlier this year.

It must feel weird to have your big breakthrough be a song you hated. That's why Martha's alot more content, not even content.. PROUD of her catalog, because she had the cajones to just flat out refuse to record a song she didn't like. We all would be much happier people if we did that. I think that's half the reason Diana forgets her words onstage all the time, I think she just doesn't like the songs.

supremester Guest
    What's the other half? Is that why Mary forgets as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It must feel weird to have your big breakthrough be a song you hated. That's why Martha's alot more content, not even content.. PROUD of her catalog, because she had the cajones to just flat out refuse to record a song she didn't like. We all would be much happier people if we did that. I think that's half the reason Diana forgets her words onstage all the time, I think she just doesn't like the songs.

It is nice that Mary keeps the legacy alive. Their impact on music is far under celebrated compared to The Beatles. Let's not spin ourselves out of perspective about who Diana Ross is, and what her stature is. She loves her songs, she's said it many times. She has 50 years of back catalog to choose from. She could easily come up with something else if she didn't like certain songs. She forgets because she gets distracted in my opinion.

Say what you will, but the legacy is kept alive by all the Supremes, especially Diana, Mary, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye. Each played an important role in the one of the most popular [[if not THE most popular) girl-groups of all time. It's something they all should be proud of.

Yes i do remember that 1st time that i fell for this song, was a 15 years old white dude, and was going on vacation with my parents, i want to see a professional group during my vacation, hoping it would be the 4 Seasons, or the Beach Boys, but I had to settle for The Supremes...wow it change my life forever, been addict since then...one thing I remember, tought Diana was the ugliest girl of the group. Saw them twice that night, July 24th 1964, in the Ballroom, near the beach, in Hampton Beach...had to borrow a casual [[veston, don't know how to say it in english) to be able to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbell View Post
    Yes i do remember that 1st time that i fell for this song, was a 15 years old white dude, and was going on vacation with my parents, i want to see a professional group during my vacation, hoping it would be the 4 Seasons, or the Beach Boys, but I had to settle for The Supremes...wow it change my life forever, been addict since then...one thing I remember, tought Diana was the ugliest girl of the group. Saw them twice that night, July 24th 1964, in the Ballroom, near the beach, in Hampton Beach...had to borrow a casual [[veston, don't know how to say it in english) to be able to enter.
    You were 15? Man, you're old.....hehehehehehe! All kidding aside, it was one of my Mom's favorite records and she wore that 45 out! We had no choice but to hear it as were just kids. Lucky, we liked it and then later the album.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-27-2014 at 05:51 PM.

supremester Guest
    Exactly. That's why I bristle at "Mary is keeping the legacy alive" crapola. In her way, she is for sure, but it's more like the legacy is keeping MARY alive. However, year after year, more people pay more money to hear Supremes songs that sound more like the records they love at Diana Ross shows. In reality, "the legacy" is kept alive by the music itself. When I meet young kids at her shows, they are not there because of an interview they saw on TV, the dresses or Ross' hair - they are there because they got exposed to the music like YCHL or The happening or Love Hangover and loved it enough to expand on it and hear it live.
    I'm in KC tonight and all the cheap and most expensive seats are gone, but still some $130... what that usually means is the balconies will be filled with a lot of under 30's. I'm sitting down front [[so I won't get trampled when people start leaving) and will be able to see the demo all the way back. WE are keeping the legacy alive also.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Say what you will, but the legacy is kept alive by all the Supremes, especially Diana, Mary, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye. Each played an important role in the one of the most popular [[if not THE most popular) girl-groups of all time. It's something they all should be proud of.

..."but it's more like the legacy is keeping MARY alive."
    BINGO!...ha ha ha.. happy 50th Anniversary of BackUp Singing..