[REMOVE ADS]

iTunes Downloads

I know some titles have snuck into iTunes for download that are not released commercially, like Martha and the Vandellas LIVE from 1967. Could anybody make a list of lp downloads that are only available on iTunes? Appreciate it

I went to download it last week and the Martha & the V's LIVE was gone. Am going to see if i can find someone to do a swap with me.

Same here. LIVE is gone.

There have been a lot of albums like that to have disappeared. The George Kerr Masters of Soul sets were up, disappeared, and are back up again.

I actually asked this question on another thread:
    Where does Motown post that a new download is upcoming and/or is newly released?
    There seems to be no active website that gives customers this information [[especially now that HipO has a been minimized). As example, where were Tata Vega's recent downloads "advertised?"

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I know some titles have snuck into iTunes for download that are not released commercially, like Martha and the Vandellas LIVE from 1967. Could anybody make a list of lp downloads that are only available on iTunes? Appreciate it
    Uh..iTunes is commercial...

I've listened to snippets of some albums on iTunes that are not available 'officially' elsewhere and the recordings have been riddled with pops and clicks from dodgy vinyl sources. I'd love to know how these albums become available on sites like iTunes and who exactly profits from them?

An alternative to iTunes is the site Google play store. They sometimes have albums that are not currently available on CD. It might be worth checking out.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 04-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I've listened to snippets of some albums on iTunes that are not available 'officially' elsewhere and the recordings have been riddled with pops and clicks from dodgy vinyl sources. I'd love to know how these albums become available on sites like iTunes and who exactly profits from them?
    I haven't heard any of the Motown releases that suffered in the iTunes conversions, however, I bought Lena Horne's Lovely and Alive album on iTunes and the quality was horrid and clearly taken from a vinyl. I've noticed with other acts like Ike & Tina Turner, the songs are released on mounds of numerous compilation albums with generic artwork. Is this some public domain issue? I've wondered about Ike & Tina for years as they flip flopped labels quite a bit but none of the reissues seem to come from actual labels or even big conglomerates. I've never heard of some of the sources!

An alternative to iTunes is the site Google play store. They sometimes have albums that are not currently available on CD. It might be worth checking out.
    I like 7-digital They usually offer 320kbps mp3. They also have things not available in iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    My guess is that if the record label, who supplies iTunes with the master files, doesn't have the master tapes or a CD on hand, they submit needledrops. Occasionally, a record label will quietly upgrade the album.

I once bought Jermaine Jackson's first Motown album on iTunes and it sounded terrible, like a worn record was played on a cheap cartridge. So, I did my own needledrop and it sounded much better. I have not checked to see if Universal upgraded the album since.

I know that Universal fairly recently quietly upgraded the Stevie Wonder 70s albums and got rid of the trebly, compressed 2000 remasters they had up for years. Now they sound like they should. They probably upgraded them in light of all the audiophile hi-rez, CD, and vinyl, reissues that have come out in the last few years that restored the original sound of the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I like 7-digital They usually offer 320kbps mp3. They also have things not available in iTunes.
    Is this good or bad for phone downloads- for the casual listener? I have never downloaded music on my phone. I usually transfer CD's to my computer. If i want it on my phone I then transfer from my computer to my phone. The reason I ask all this is because I just happened to take a look at the musical selection on google play because I just got a new phone, and I was surprised [[for certain artist) all the CD's they have.

I don't know how I didn't realize the Martha & The Vandellas Live album came out for download when I'm always checking this site! Oh well, I'd still want an actual CD first, but I would've downloaded it if I had known...

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Is this good or bad for phone downloads- for the casual listener? I have never downloaded music on my phone. I usually transfer CD's to my computer. If i want it on my phone I then transfer from my computer to my phone. The reason I ask all this is because I just happened to take a look at the musical selection on google play because I just got a new phone, and I was surprised [[for certain artist) all the CD's they have.
    I don't know because I never download to a phone! I download or rip to the computer, fix the tags, and store on hard drives.

In fact, I don't even use a phone for music. I listen either at home or in the car.