[REMOVE ADS]

Somewhere - Diana Ross & the Supremes

Published on Apr 12, 2014

SOMEWHERE- Diana Ross, Black People & The British Royal Family-
    I want to report a share of the speech that Diana Ross made, in 1968, at London Palladium [[ after Martin Luther King's murder) in front of the British Royal Family. While she is singing [[ with The Supremes ) "SOMEWHERE ", stops the music and starts to talk : " I haven' t too many changes to speak to very important people like who stay in front of me tonight. Like you see, I'm black and you are whites .I sing and you hear me ; then, when all is finished, we go all out from the hall, together. There are some States of my country, the USA, where whites and blacks haven' t the same rights :they can't go out from the same door. I wanna that you think about when you'll go home ".A cold silence fall in the hall and someone, from the last rows, start to clap . In short, all the audience , include the Royal Family members, give to Diana Ross and the Supremes a standing ovation lasted more than 2 minutes ! Miss Ross thanks and continues the concert . After the show, Diana Ross and the Supremes were received by the Queen Mother .
    It's a pity, that, in the USA, black people has turned his back to Miss Ross, forgetting all this !

I think someone was watching Shindig one night and got a good idea:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post

Excellent and thank you Jill! Jean's daughter is very proud of her mother's work as well she should be.

Well, they've been emulating Diana since the fall of 1964 through to today.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Published on Apr 12, 2014

SOMEWHERE- Diana Ross, Black People & The British Royal Family-
    I want to report a share of the speech that Diana Ross made, in 1968, at London Palladium [[ after Martin Luther King's murder) in front of the British Royal Family. While she is singing [[ with The Supremes ) "SOMEWHERE ", stops the music and starts to talk : " I haven' t too many changes to speak to very important people like who stay in front of me tonight. Like you see, I'm black and you are whites .I sing and you hear me ; then, when all is finished, we go all out from the hall, together. There are some States of my country, the USA, where whites and blacks haven' t the same rights :they can't go out from the same door. I wanna that you think about when you'll go home ".A cold silence fall in the hall and someone, from the last rows, start to clap . In short, all the audience , include the Royal Family members, give to Diana Ross and the Supremes a standing ovation lasted more than 2 minutes ! Miss Ross thanks and continues the concert . After the show, Diana Ross and the Supremes were received by the Queen Mother .
    It's a pity, that, in the USA, black people has turned his back to Miss Ross, forgetting all this !
    Who is the author of this?

I don't know about you all, but I personally cannot see Diana Ross saying this. I understand she did address Dr. King during their performance at the Palladium, but I'm sure her words were much more scripted and eloquent than above.

Thoughts?

If you go to the Youtube posting, I think you can see some details of the poster.

On the other hand, that is where all sorts of demented souls hang out anonymously so who knows.

honest man Guest
    Nah it can't be true,im sure Mary would have wrote about it in her gospel Dreamgirls lol.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Who is the author of this?

I don't know about you all, but I personally cannot see Diana Ross saying this. I understand she did address Dr. King during their performance at the Palladium, but I'm sure her words were much more scripted and eloquent than above.

Thoughts?
    She gave a similar speech on TCB. I actually had a friend who was a DJ and built an entire track around her "free at last!" vocal.

supremester Guest
    " How dare Diane go off script like this just to make us look bad? Once again, I found myself making excuses for my best friend. Looking back, I can see how she was cleverly sabotaging the New Supremes before she even left the group. I love her so much."
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Nah it can't be true,im sure Mary would have wrote about it in her gospel Dreamgirls lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post

I love Jean's performance of this. She had quite a fine, fine voice that was hideously underused.

I didn't see The Supremes' performance of 'Somewhere' during the televised Sunday night broadcast of the Royal Variety Performance in November 1968 [[recorded at the London Palladium on the previous Monday evening) - because I was actually at the London Palladium, attending their show.

On reaching home, my Mum's comment : "They were really very good, and the dresses were beautiful!"

My Dad's comment : "Yes, they were" Then he paused, and added : "The lead singer is good, but has no figure, and neither does the one on the other end - but the one in the middle is just right..." [[!!)

It's very unlikely anyone in the audience would have given a standing ovation at the Royal Variety show in those days, as it would not have been considered correct protocol in the presence of senior Royalty. The audience response was indeed reported as enthusiatic, both to me by my family, and by the newspapers.

A friend of mine had an audio recording made of The Supremes' segment, which we heard the following day.

Diana did not deviate from the usual scripted speech included in their stage performances of "Somewhere". It was exactly the same routine we had witnessed them perform at the Palladium show we attended.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-15-2014 at 04:33 AM.

I think the newspaper reports said something like "applause broke from the Royal Box as Miss Ross made an impassioned plea for racial harmony".............lol

Nothing like it, although some newspapers did report negatively on the speech......and Princess Margaret did ask Mary after the show if she was wearing a wig...LOL

smark21 Guest
    As we know there are a few Diana Ross fans and Supremes fans who have a hard time separating fantasy and reality so it's likely the caption describing what was said that night is somebody's fantasy.

supremester Guest
    Even one of The Supremes has that exact same problem.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Even one of The Supremes has that exact same problem.
    Yes, Diana Ross showed in her book Secrets of a Sparrow that she lived in a "world of distorted reality".

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Yes, Diana Ross showed in her book Secrets of a Sparrow that she lived in a "world of distorted reality".
    No, it was more of a fairy tale dare to dream where her hair emerged as more important than Mary.

Not much of a surprise though.