[REMOVE ADS]

VELVELETTES unissued V.I.P. album

I don't know whether this was ever discussed previously on the forum, but there was an album slated for released late 1966 entitled the VELVELETTES, the number assigned was VIP 401 [[Darling Baby by the Elgins was VIP 400). According to the Motown expert David Bianco the album was unissued and that was apparently the only slated VIP album by them. Does anyone know what songs were slated to be released on this album?

VIP401 never released, and it seems some tracks recorded for that album found their way onto a British compilation, Best Of The Velvelettes
    1. He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'
    2. Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I
    3. Since You've Been Loving Me
    4. There He Goes
    5. That's The Reason Why
    6. I Know His Name [[Only His Name)
    7. Should I Tell Them
    8. Throw A Farewell Kiss
    9. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
    10. I'm The Exception To The Rule
    11. Needle In A Haystack
    12. A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush)
    13. Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer)
    14. I'm So Glad It's Twilight Time
    15. Think Of The Times
    16. Stop Beating Around The Bush
    17. Love Is Good
    18. Save Me [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking)
    19. The Boy From Cross Town

there certainly wouldn't have been an LP issued in the 60's with that many tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    there certainly wouldn't have been an LP issued in the 60's with that many tracks.
    I thoroughly agree with you, motony.

Me too. That's why "it seems some tracks recorded for that album found their way onto a British compilation"

that makes sense if that is the listing for the CD compilation. It is strange that the Velvelettes never had an LP issued on either VIP or SOUL when the Monitors did. I mean they did have 3 moderate hits.

That's a very interesting point you make Tony.

Richard Street wanted Cal at home, meanwhile he was working as a Monitor and with a fair amount of influence in the Quality Control meetings.

RossHolloway Guest
    when exactly did the Velvelette's stop recording and performing in concert? Was it 1967 or 68?

thomas96 Guest
    I recall seeing a mockup of this album, a photo of the ladies on the front.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, I think I remember seeing BOTH the mock-up and a listing for it on a slate of upcoming releases among papers at Motown during the early '70s. There were several mock-ups for LPs that never got released [[including Marv Johnson on Gordy),

I believe the listing is: "He Was Really Saying Something"
    "Long Gone Lover"
    "Why Must You Go"
    "Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I"
    "Needle In A Haystack"
    "Throw a Farewell Kiss"
    " Think Of The Times"
    "Since I`ve Lost You"
    "Stop Beating Around The Bush"
    "I`m The Exception To The Rule"
    "That`s A Funny Way"
    "A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush)"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I believe the listing is: "He Was Really Saying Something"
    "Long Gone Lover"
    "Why Must You Go"
    "Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I"
    "Needle In A Haystack"
    "Throw a Farewell Kiss"
    " Think Of The Times"
    "Since I`ve Lost You"
    "Stop Beating Around The Bush"
    "I`m The Exception To The Rule"
    "That`s A Funny Way"
    "A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush)"
Views: 1100
    That seems about right. It DID have exactly 12 songs.

RossHolloway Guest
    If this album was slated for release in 1966, why would it have not included the group's latest 45, These Things Will Keep Me Loving You?

This is all from memory, and I'm getting old now!

Bring Back The Sunshine [[later re-worked as Dark Side Of The World) was the last recorded song recorded by the Velvelettes in about September 1967. [There is a later noted recording in 1969 but the tape reveals it to be Wanda Rogers recording Love Is Good].

Cal recalls that on the day of the recording, in the control booth were Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua with Ashford and Simpson.

In 1967, the group were still performing and had dates to perform so they continued up to 1969 when Cal agreed to Richard's proposal of marriage and his wish for her to look after the home. Cal disbanded the group after fulfilling all outstanding dates with replacements [[when necessary) which included a cousin. Cal married Richard on 14 November 1969 [[I seem to recall) and I've seen their wedding photograph. Cal is simply beautiful.

The Velvelettes were never involved in the making of an album although they were aware that there was some [[not much) talk of it. However, they needed a sure fire hit and one can only assure that track would have been included. Despite talk from some artists about being angry that they were being overlooked, the Velvelettes were always aware that Motown was not able to push all of its acts and that those making the most money would be given priority. Their tenure at Motown are responsible for giving them the opportunity to continue to perform to this day.

The selection of a 45 release was not the responsibility of the artist; in fact, the artist would often only be aware of a new single release when the instruction came from above that it needed to be performed live or to "pantomine the song" [[we refer to it as miming).

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    If this album was slated for release in 1966, why would it have not included the group's latest 45, These Things Will Keep Me Loving You?
    Ah , sweet mystery of life! One of those things we shall perhaps never know in this lifetime.
    But I did notice something that may have some bearing on the question. The Velvelettes' four previous singles were issued on the VIP label. TCMS 1966 states that company paperwork clearly shows that "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was slated for release only on the Soul label [[although a few discographies list a VIP number that was reserved for Chris Clark ).
    In the arena of VIP album releases, three were on the dockets for 1966- the Elgins -Motown recorded & released [[10/66); the Velvelettes- Motown recorded & unreleased; the Abbey Tavern Singers- not recorded at Motown but leased from another label. Then nothing until 1970.
    Perhaps it was not going to be included on the proposed VIP lp because it had seen/was about to see release as a Soul 45.
    A side point- if the track listing is correct, two b-sides were not going to be included on the lp.
    Yes, I also realize that in the case of the Monitors, the majority of singles were issued on VIP, and their lp , on Soul.... but that was not 1966 but rather , 1968 [[and for some reason, no lp's were issued on VIP in 1967, 1968, or 1969, even though singles were released on VIP from 1964-early 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Despite talk from some artists about being angry that they were being overlooked, the Velvelettes were always aware that Motown was not able to push all of its acts and that those making the most money would be given priority. Their tenure at Motown are responsible for giving them the opportunity to continue to perform to this.
    I've always felt out of all of the second tier Motown acts the Velvelettes had the most songs with hit potential. Once you get into late 1964 on their Anthology collection almost every track could have been a hit. I remember reading HDH cut "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" for them in 1965. I don't think vocals were added though. And I believe there's a live recording at the Roostertail from 1966 still in the vaults.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.

I don`t know whether or not this is true but I did find this some time ago.
    "The Velvelettes These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" VIP. no # given.
    "Title Track"
    "He`s The One"
    "I`m In Love [[And I Know It)"
    "A Love So Deep Inside"
    "Your Heart Belongs To Me"
    "Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer)"
    "The Boy From Crosstown"
    "[[We`ve Got) Honey Love.
    "Love Is Good"
    "I`m So Glad It`s Twilight Time"
    "Save Me [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking)"
    "Bring Back The Sunshine"
    As I`ve mentioned this could be the figment of some fan`s imagination or the real deal, I don`t know.

I don`t know whether or not this is true but I did find this some time ago.
    "The Velvelettes These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" VIP. no # given.
    "Title Track"
    "He`s The One"
    "I`m In Love [[And I Know It)"
    "A Love So Deep Inside"
    "Your Heart Belongs To Me"
    "Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer)"
    "The Boy From Crosstown"
    "[[We`ve Got) Honey Love.
    "Love Is Good"
    "I`m So Glad It`s Twilight Time"
    "Save Me [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking)"
    "Bring Back The Sunshine"
    As I`ve mentioned this could be the figment of some fan`s imagination or the real deal, I don`t know.
Views: 994
    I'm sure that's just a fan's creation of what he or she would have liked to have been released. The list i saw was an official Motown document, and MOST of the 12 songs on it had been released on their 5 VIP singles. This was probably a fan's concept of a proposed 2nd album for them to be released on Soul records in 1967 [[which also makes no sense, given that the first album [[with their hits), was never released). Why would they release all these unreleased songs without having released all but one on a single? And why would they release that after never putting their charted hits on an LP?
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-14-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Yes I agree it does seem rather optimistic. Thanks Robb. The first listing I`m sure is the one that you remember.

I thought VIP 401 was scheduled to be "Greetings We're the Monitors", which was switched to the Soul label.

I`ve got that down as VIPS 402 but then....

RossHolloway Guest
    Slightly off topic but the Velvelettes opened for Jr Walker & The AllStars during the concert series called Motown Mondays at the Roostertail in '66. Has anyone ever heard that live set or know what songs were performed?

All that has come to light is their introduction to Jr. on his live album.

Slightly off topic but the Velvelettes opened for Jr Walker & The AllStars during the concert series called Motown Mondays at the Roostertail in '66. Has anyone ever heard that live set or know what songs were performed?
    I know their set was recorded and in the vaults. I believe "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was one of the songs they performed.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I've always felt out of all of the second tier Motown acts the Velvelettes had the most songs with hit potential. Once you get into late 1964 on their Anthology collection almost every track could have been a hit. I remember reading HDH cut "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" for them in 1965. I don't think vocals were added though. And I believe there's a live recording at the Roostertail from 1966 still in the vaults.
    I prefer to think of the Velvelettes as not a second tier group, but a 1A, or 1B group. The only thing that stopped Let Love Live from being in the Top Ten, was a minor thing like being released.

I`ve got that down as VIPS 402 but then....
    402 was The Abbey Tavern Singers ....

Name:  402a.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  90.6 KB

There are quite a few instances of a released and unreleased album sharing the same cat. #.

There are quite a few instances of a released and unreleased album sharing the same cat. #.
    ...which means a Velvelettes album could have been planned for any number. Neither "Motown The History" [[Sharon Davis) nor "The Motown Story" [[Don Waller) list such an album in their discographies. I wonder if Keith Hughes came across any confirmatory paperwork when researching TCMS.

In the 50-odd years that I've been collecting Motown this is the FIRST time I have ever heard the fabled Velvelettes album being touted as unreleased on VIP-402!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    I prefer to think of the Velvelettes as not a second tier group, but a 1A, or 1B group. The only thing that stopped Let Love Live from being in the Top Ten, was a minor thing like being released.
    Motown4Ever, I couldn't agree more. Their Motown Anthology contains some of the greatest tracks ever recorded at Hitsville. It plays like a greatest hits album to my ears. It is incredible that so much great music was left in the can for so many years.

I'm so excited to be seeing them live tonight in London, along with Brenda Holloway. Can't wait!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Motown4Ever, I couldn't agree more. Their Motown Anthology contains some of the greatest tracks ever recorded at Hitsville. It plays like a greatest hits album to my ears. It is incredible that so much great music was left in the can for so many years.

I'm so excited to be seeing them live tonight in London, along with Brenda Holloway. Can't wait!!
    We want a FULL report on the concert, you're one lucky man to see both Brenda and the Velvelettes!

It is the unreleased Monitors album that I`m referring to as VIP. 402.

We want a FULL report on the concert, you're one lucky man to see both Brenda and the Velvelettes!
    And they each sung a different song....I'll Keep Holding On and Nowhere To Run.

The crowd loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    And they each sung a different song....I'll Keep Holding On and Nowhere To Run.

The crowd loved them.
    Just arrived back in my humble little abode after tonight's concert ...

Here is BRENDA HOLLOWAY on stage ...
    Name:  brendaholloway.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  79.5 KB

And here are THE VELVELETTES ...
    Name:  velvelettes1-crop.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  91.8 KB

Off to catch some shut-eye now ....

Roger

What an amazing show last night. Brenda was utterly charming and clearly loved the adoration from the audience. The voice is a little lower these days, but she has lost none of her style. Great to hear 'Crying Time' and 'Reconsider' but also the unexpected 'I'll keep on holding on' duet with the Velvelettes. The Velvelettes really know how to put on a show. Cal's voice is incredible. She sings better than ever. Nice to hear the lovely ballad ' Twighlight Time' and their version of 'Nowhere to run'. And of course all the hits were there. It was a great night. The friends I brought along just couldn't believe these ladies were grandmothers. The years just melted away and it was the 60's all over again.

Brenda Holloway & The Velvelettes - I'll Keep On Holding On [[Live in London)

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    What an amazing show last night. Brenda was utterly charming and clearly loved the adoration from the audience. The voice is a little lower these days, but she has lost none of her style. Great to hear 'Crying Time' and 'Reconsider' but also the unexpected 'I'll keep on holding on' duet with the Velvelettes. The Velvelettes really know how to put on a show. Cal's voice is incredible. She sings better than ever. Nice to hear the lovely ballad ' Twighlight Time' and their version of 'Nowhere to run'. And of course all the hits were there. It was a great night. The friends I brought along just couldn't believe these ladies were grandmothers. The years just melted away and it was the 60's all over again.
    I thought this was brilliant, so what do others think?

http://youtu.be/j7Mkt6Ji098

More videos to follow

Roger - Beautiful shots! Many, many thanks!

LDL1 - Loved reading your review. What an exciting show, you lucky, lucky lad!

Lester - That video is really fantastic. Everyone singing and looking just sensational. My oh my oh my. Thanks so much for the great link.

Tbfxt - Sounds like the Tamla-Motown Appreciation Society was back and out in full force! Just as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Tbfxt - Sounds like the Tamla-Motown Appreciation Society was back and out in full force! Just as it should be.
    It's hard to believe that you are spot on. And all of us were some 40 years older! HAHA

I've posted 2 more videos from this special Motown Review evening on another tread, so please enjoy them. It really was a great night, fantastic venue, great backing band and all the girls were on top form. I got Brenda to sign my Sharon Davis - Motown The History book and also have some great pictures of me with Brenda and me with Cal