Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
If this album was slated for release in 1966, why would it have not included the group's latest 45, These Things Will Keep Me Loving You?
Ah , sweet mystery of life! One of those things we shall perhaps never know in this lifetime.
But I did notice something that may have some bearing on the question. The Velvelettes' four previous singles were issued on the VIP label. TCMS 1966 states that company paperwork clearly shows that "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was slated for release only on the Soul label [[although a few discographies list a VIP number that was reserved for Chris Clark ).
In the arena of VIP album releases, three were on the dockets for 1966- the Elgins -Motown recorded & released [[10/66); the Velvelettes- Motown recorded & unreleased; the Abbey Tavern Singers- not recorded at Motown but leased from another label. Then nothing until 1970.
Perhaps it was not going to be included on the proposed VIP lp because it had seen/was about to see release as a Soul 45.
A side point- if the track listing is correct, two b-sides were not going to be included on the lp.
Yes, I also realize that in the case of the Monitors, the majority of singles were issued on VIP, and their lp , on Soul.... but that was not 1966 but rather , 1968 [[and for some reason, no lp's were issued on VIP in 1967, 1968, or 1969, even though singles were released on VIP from 1964-early 1972.