[REMOVE ADS]

Your The One- Marvvelettes.

The Marvelettes follow up to Dont Mess With Bill was :Your The One" another jazzy and smooth track led by Wanda and again featuring the Andantes. It was releassed around April 1966, and peaked at #48. It seemed the group was on a roll, but it dropped dead halfway up the charts. The song was almost a duplicate of dmwb in tempo. I loved it inspite of the Marvelettes no longer participating in their hit releases, the flips side "Paperboy" sounded liek a real hit single with Gladys fronting in form of their p revious early 60's hits..

Actually Franjoy "Paper Boy" had been recorded 3 years earlier [[on January 9th 1963) according to Don't Forget The Motor City ..

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/tp-01.htm

This would account for it sounding quaintly old-fashioned in 1966.

I've always loved "You're The One" and I occasionally put it on repeat along with the similarly styled "Don't Mess With Bill", "Hunter Gets Captured By the Game" and "The Day You Take One" .. musical heaven

It has always seemed strange to me how "You're The One" wasn't included on their "Pink" L.P. but was held over and included on their "Sophisticated Soul" collection.

Roger

This one had a great groove and is great lyrically--you know Smokey!

Include me, too. By the time "Sophisticated Soul" was released, "You're The One" had a sound which harked back several years. Still loved it, though - and still do.

Would also love to hear the vocals with a track which doesn't have quite the emphatic Hitsville beat of the original. Perhaps in the production style of "Hunter", with a lighter, cool jazz feel. I really would have loved to have heard more songs in that vein, as Wanda had an ideal voice for that style.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Actually Franjoy "Paper Boy" had been recorded 3 years earlier [[on January 9th 1963) according to Don't Forget The Motor City ..

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/tp-01.htm

This would account for it sounding quaintly old-fashioned in 1966.

I've always loved "You're The One" and I occasionally put it on repeat along with the similarly styled "Don't Mess With Bill", "Hunter Gets Captured By the Game" and "The Day You Take One" .. musical heaven

It has always seemed strange to me how "You're The One" wasn't included on their "Pink" L.P. but was held over and included on their "Sophisticated Soul" collection.

Roger
    Thanks roger for alerting me about paperboy it is listed as a 1963 recording no wonder it sounds like t earlier gladys led tracks from that era. I think paperboy would not have fared badly as a single in 64 with its nice dancey groove Btw were u ever a member of t smv fan club

Haaaaaaaaaa...a closet full of gladrags all tucked away in a pad that's swank...my favorite marvelettes song and yes paperboy was cool too,very danceable just a cool cool mini classic from my girls.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaa...a closet full of gladrags all tucked away in a pad that's swank...my favorite marvelettes song and yes paperboy was cool too,very danceable just a cool cool mini classic from my girls.
    if this single had been on the pink album it would have been a bigger hit. As t pink album was their biggest selling studio release.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    When I could play the drum part for this song, I knew I had arrived as a drummer, and whenever I can, I will sneak it into a pattern.

The first line as you noted arr +bee, is slicker than owl excretion. my soul as smiling along with my face.

"You're The One" is nowhere in the same league as "Don't Mess With Bill." There's something about that churchy sounding organ at the beginning that makes me skip to the song. It just sounds dated by 1966. The song that should have been a smash hit was "I'll Keep Holding On."

The marvelettes had several singles that shud have been hits hes a good guy, danger heartbreak, my daddy knos best, lockin up my heart, all stalled outside the top 40 too many fish should have went top 10 instead of no. 25 your the one used t dmwb formula so one c see why it peaked at 48.