[REMOVE ADS]

Someday We'll Be Together - Jean and the Supremes

I was watching Jean and the Supremes rendition of "Someday We'll Be Together" from the Smokey Robinson show and I must confess, Jean did a terrific job. Did Jean, Mary and Cindy ever sing this song live? They sounded fantastic. Smokey could've let the girls sing and he could've just watched the performance like the rest of us.

Hey Ryon,i felt the same way,The Supremes didn't need Smokey,but again,it's sooo cool watching the LEGENDS sing together,no matter what.

Where can someone see this video? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    You can see it below. This was one of the few times that I remember The Supremes singing SOMEDAY after Diana left. I've seen the Seventies Supremes many times in concert and don't recall them singing this song. Also, never see Diana singing it in concert.

Jean does a wonderful job on this song.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    You can see it below. This was one of the few times that I remember The Supremes singing SOMEDAY after Diana left. I've seen the Seventies Supremes many times in concert and don't recall them singing this song. Also, never see Diana singing it in concert.

Jean does a wonderful job on this song.

Does anyone know when "The Smokey Robinson Show/Special" aired? Is it possible that "Someday" was still on the charts? It certainly would have been a recent #1; it actually makes sense that they performed it.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone know when "The Smokey Robinson Show/Special" aired? Is it possible that "Someday" was still on the charts? It certainly would have been a recent #1; it actually makes sense that they performed it.
    It aired in 1970.

It aired in December 1970. but was taped months in advance. In December 1970 the Supremes were sitting at number one on the R&B Charts with "Stoned Love".

I think SOMEDAY stayed in their act. Maybe it was in and out. But besides this performance, MSS also sang it as part of a hits medley on the Mike Douglas show.

Another thing about the performance I found to be odd. Mary wearing that green-colored dress. I didn't like it when Diana wore it. As a unit, I would've preferred the same colored outfit. It didn't take away from the performance. They were definitely supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Ejluther, I'm sorry for not posting the video. I generally read and respond to these posts while at work. I'm not sure how to add the video. I guess I need to practice that on my home desktop. Thanks Milven for posting.

This song never sounds good live. It's got to do with reproducing the music. I wonder if that is why it isn't done by many of them live.

Someday We'll Be Together has been in Mary's act for many years,and Mary sounds great singing it.

Thanks for the posting - great to see and hear!

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Someday We'll Be Together has been in Mary's act for many years,and Mary sounds great singing it.
    Mary does a superb job with "Someday We'll Be Together". They captured her singing it here for the film, "Only the Strong Survive".........I was in the audience for this performance at the Westbury Music Fair:

honest man Guest
    Obviously Mary has great taste and respect for singing Diana's songs,considering this song does not feature either Mary or Cindy on background,she's been well taught,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary does a superb job with "Someday We'll Be Together". They captured her singing it here for the film, "Only the Strong Survive".........I was in the audience for this performance at the Westbury Music Fair:

I am sorry but I don't think Mary sounds good on this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I think one of the background singers with Mary at Westburys Music Fair is a lady who have the same first name as me Miss Roberta Freeman who left Mary Wilson and then went on the road with Karen Ragland for a year or so and now Miss Freeman sing backup for Engelbert Humperdink for the past two years. I met her at a Englebert Humperdinks concerts two years ago and they put on a real fine show.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think one of the background singers with Mary at Westburys Music Fair is a lady who have the same first name as me Miss Roberta Freeman who left Mary Wilson and then went on the road with Karen Ragland for a year or so and now Miss Freeman sing backup for Engelbert Humperdink for the past two years. I met her at a Englebert Humperdinks concerts two years ago and they put on a real fine show.

Roberta
    There was no Roberta Freeman with Mary that night at the Westbury Music Fair. I remember after the show being with Mary, Karen Newman and Iris Parker........

Diana, Mary and Cindy tried singing this song at Motown 25. It didn't go so good but it sounded good in the beginning.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There was no Roberta Freeman with Mary that night at the Westbury Music Fair. I remember after the show being with Mary, Karen Newman and Iris Parker........
    Thats why I said I think dear. Glad you were at the concert and able to hang out with your good friiend Mary after the show. Can we see you Only the Strong Survives or were you edit out?

Best to you.

Roberta

The end credits of the Miramax DVD of 'Only the Strong Survive' list Karen Newman & Iris Parker as Mary's background singers. In fact all the musicians are listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The end credits of the Miramax DVD of 'Only the Strong Survive' list Karen Newman & Iris Parker as Mary's background singers. In fact all the musicians are listed there.
    Thank you for calrifying Carole.

Best to you.

Roberta

supremester Guest
    I don't either, but all music isn't for all ears. Maybe this is why they a third of the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post

Have never been able to get past Jean and Cindy in blue and Mary in green.

It must have to do with fitting the dresses, right? Jean was too tall for Diana's, I imagine...

smark21 Guest
    In Supreme Faith, Mary mentions that when Jean joined the group, the older gowns and outfits were switched around with Mary wearing Diana's, Cindy wearing Mary's and Jean taking Cindy's. At least JMC/L had some new stage wear made for them. I must admit I always feel a bit bad for the group when I see 70s clips of them wearing stage outfits from the 60s, or in the case of the Scherrie era, the group wearing gowns from the Jean era. But the group paid for them so you might as well get your money's worth from them.

supremester Guest
    But they looked silly in old gowns like the Swirl and GIT gowns. Mary destroyed those by cutting off the fluted bottoms. I understand why she wore them as they were much better than the JMC era gowns, but still, the fans knew they were hand me downs and werent fresh