[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross / That's What Friends Are For : 1987

For as long as I've been an SDF member, I don't know that I've ever seen this discussed; Diana Ross assembling an all-star cast in a "That's What Friends Are For" sing-along. A little research says this was 1987.

It's really cool to watch; hundreds of stars fill the stage: Dionne and Gladys are there, Janet Jackson and Whitney and Cissy are there, Patti LaBelle and Ronnie Spector and Gloria Estefan are there.....the list goes on and on.....and then at 5: 20.....there's Mary Wilson!

Huh? Diana and Mary on the same stage in 1987? If you haven't seen it for yourself, here you go:

And please: can we keep this thread clean and civil?

supremester Guest
    The vocals on that record - each unique - are sublime. Gladys blows me away on it every single time. It's nice to see Whitney & Cissy looking so fresh and happy. I can't see where on stage Mary was - maybe she was one of the celebs Miss Ross was beckoning. I wish it was planned better so that the 4 of them were there to sing it. It seems as if they weren't expecting Dionne & Gladys to join in cuz why would they need to be asked?

Awesome clip. Thanks.

smark21 Guest
    Diana Ross didn't assemble this, it was Dick Clark. This was the finale for the American Music Awards which Ross hosted. Good cause, cheesy song. Really cheesy song.

I don't see Dick Clark on stage calling out for Madonna.

Geez; potayto, potahto around here.