[REMOVE ADS]

Gil Askey has passed, Musical Director for The Supremes and others, back in the day

Sad News,Gil Askey has passed,Musical director for The Supremes and others,from back in the day,i first met Mr.Askey when i was a kid,he was musical for The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell,a few years later,he was working for Diana Ross,and also worked on Lady Sings The Blues,Mr.Askey was always at the top of his game,a pro,THE BEST,R.I.P MR. GIL ASKEY
    Last edited by REDHOT; 04-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Sad News,Gil Askey has passed,Musical director for The Supremes and others,from back in the day,i first met Mr.Askey when i was a kid,he was musical for The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell,a few years later,he was working for Diana Ross,and also worked on Lady Sings The Blues,Mr.Askey was always at the top of his game,a pro,THE BEST,R.I.P MR. GIL ASKEY
    This is very sad news. I had no idea. Thank you for the music Mr. Askey.

Penny

I'm saddened to read this. Askey knew his stuff, even though I never much cared for his premise that The Supremes should perform their hits "à la Vegas" in the live act. The other material in the act worked fine with that kind of arrangement but speeding-up and brassing-up the hits was a shame. Granted, it wasn't easy to get a Funk Brothers sound in concert using musicians other then the Funks themselves, but too many liberties were taken with those sacred songs.

Askey later produced Linda Clifford and used a much less "nightclubby" approach.

smark21 Guest
    I'm in agreement with BigAl on this.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I'm in agreement with BigAl on this.
    I think Askey was just adapting to the venue. The schmaltzy arrangement likely made more sense to the older, white, supperclub set. I doubt there were a lot of teenagers lined up at the Copacabana or the Flamingo.