[REMOVE ADS]

Walmart set to cut space for CDs

A report from the UK trade paper Music Week [[9 April) states:

"The biggest retailer of music CDs in the US, Walmart, is to reduce the space it gives the category by almost half, according to a new Billboard report. The US trade title has heard from sources who suggest a CD space reduction of 40% is set to be implemented in stores. It is hoped that a concentration on displaying hit titles more prominently may offset potential sales losses.

“Walmart’s message is, ‘Our customer wants new hits, recent hits and catalog at lower prices, $5 or $7,’” one source told Billboard.

It is estimated that Walmart’s average CD inventory will drop from around 3,500 titles to about 2,100 when the changes hit during May and June."

Another sign of the times, although when visiting the US I've never found the range of titles stocked by Walmart very exciting and the layout has always been untidy and unappealing for browsing.

Look forward to hearing the views of US based Forum members.

Another reason to just keep on using Amazon. I almost never buy current CD's just because I have a back catalogue of titles that I want to buy first and Amazon's never disappointed me.

Lulu Guest
    I'm not surprised. However, I'm with MrTopCat, the web is the way to go for the stuff we all seem to like. The closest thing I have seen to The Artistry of Brenda Holloway at Target or Wal-Mart was a barebones rerelease of Bad! In fact, I don't recall seeing any "classic" black soul/r&b/disco/funk artists aside from Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston at my Wal-Mart. Of course, there is Duck Dynasty crap everywhere but I digress...

Who the hell buys CDs at Walmart, anyway? Certainly not hard-core music lovers! I suppose they are OK for an occasional comp, but for anything else? No. And, they limit what music they sell. Reason enough not to bother shopping there.

They are just following in the footsteps of Best Buy and Target in reducing their CD inventory. Hell, K-Mart cut them out years ago.

Support your mom and pop/independent stores!

I've never been to a Wal-Mart . I certainly would not buy CDs in a Wal-Mart with their censorship policies.

This would be the perfect time to mention that April 19th is Record Store Day. There are not that many independent record stores left, but if there is one in your area, this would be the perfect time to reacquaint yourself with the joy of buying music in a place where everyone knows you , knows music, and if given the chance will show you the music that you like. It sure beats sitting in front of computer buying music. If you have kids, bring them too and show them the old school way that we used to buy our music.

Check out the link below to find if there is still a music store nearby where you live, and then go there April 19th and show the owner some love

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Physical CDs, land line telephones, books, newspapers, desktop computers, all slipping away.................

Lulu Guest
    I've never ordered directly from Dusty Groove but they seem to have quite a selection.

Has anyone used them?

http://www.dustygroove.com/

LadyLola Guest
    Walmart can eat it. Fascist pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I've never been to a Wal-Mart . I certainly would not buy CDs in a Wal-Mart with their censorship policies.

This would be the perfect time to mention that April 19th is Record Store Day. There are not that many independent record stores left, but if there is one in your area, this would be the perfect time to reacquaint yourself with the joy of buying music in a place where everyone knows you , knows music, and if given the chance will show you the music that you like. It sure beats sitting in front of computer buying music. If you have kids, bring them too and show them the old school way that we used to buy our music.

Check out the link below to find if there is still a music store nearby where you live, and then go there April 19th and show the owner some love

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Yes, support your local Indie record store! I love mine, The Record Exchange in Boise. [[Though in white bread Boise, the soul selections can be kind of limited ... but they special order for me and I get it in less than a week.)

I've never bought a CD at Wal-Mart and actually I never shop there. Go local, the $$$ stay home and you support some cool people, you know, TRUE music lovers.

Support your local record store today!!

Just like Mr.TopCat, I prefer Amazon for CD's, Videos, & other stuff. So easy, so much more convenient and I get the items in a day or two days [[with 1 click) delivered to my door.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I've never ordered directly from Dusty Groove but they seem to have quite a selection.

Has anyone used them?

I ordered from them years ago. They are pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    Walmart can eat it. Fascist pigs.
    Amen! The only comfort is that they lost market share.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post

Has anyone used them?

I've ordered from the also. They had a sidewalk sale not to long ago. WGN radio had tons of albums and CDs that they accumulated over the years. I didn't make it there for that but I'll bet I missed out on some good ones. They were selling them for rock and I do mean rock bottom prices. They are a pretty popular store here in Chicago as is another place that is in the hood "Out of the Past."

It's interesting times for getting hold of CDs. While Amazon is often an easy 'one stop', I'm sure we all miss the browsing and atmosphere of 'physical' stores. So it's really good to support any indie stores that are left, not that there are that many. There can sometimes be a dilemma - buy from cheaper online site that has what you want at a 'click' or support a local indie that may be more [[at times, much more) pricey or may have to order the CD in. It's the same here in the UK, but at least we have [[the remains) of the national HMV chain. In the US I remember days when even Circuit City and Best Buy had pretty good ranges, but now as the superstores/supermarkets cut back [[as they are also doing in the UK) I believe it's great news for the indies. What goes around comes around and hopefully indie stores will start thriving again. The other interesting thing is that after 10 years, download sales are falling in both countries. Streaming is the new thing [[even worse than downloading - I want to own the music!). But CD sales seem to be holding, at least in the UK. Last week's sales figures were 36% digital and 62.5% CD [[not sure what the odd 1.5% was!). This is good news for all of us and will hopefully mean that the physical stores still need to exist.

Amazon, eBay, Dusty Groove, CD Connection, and CDUniverse. That is our options in a nutshell.

I could care less what they do with cd's,as long as i can still get those[$5]movies].