[REMOVE ADS]

Two hour Documentary on Dave Clark 5 on PBS This Month

I hope you will check it out. Dave Clark 5: Glad All Over was very entertaining and informative. Besides the group members, there are interviews with Dionne Warwick and Stevie Wonder [[both of them participated in Dave's Time project), Freddie Mercury, and Paul McCartney. The only part I didn't get was Whoopi Goldberg's participation. She doesn't tie to entertainment in the '60s or the Dave Clark 5 in any way.

-Jim

I just saw this last night, Jim. Very interesting. The band was much better than I imagined and Dave is an amazing talent.

With all due respect, does their musical legacy really warrant a 2 hour documentary?
    Last edited by timmyfunk; 04-09-2014 at 11:18 AM.

I agree, Tim. I think it ran a little long, but I was still impressed with things I didn't know about the band.

Whoopie Goldberg is like a bad penny. She shows up everywhere she doesn't fit in [[probably a bit like me. )

Looks like I missed the doc, but maybe I can catch it online.

certainly here in the UK the Dave Clark Five were a massive band in the 60's & for a while rivals to The Beatles. For me, lead singer Mike Smith had one of the best pop voices of them all.

morph

Quote Originally Posted by motownmorph1 View Post
    certainly here in the UK the Dave Clark Five were a massive band in the 60's & for a while rivals to The Beatles. For me, lead singer Mike Smith had one of the best pop voices of them all.

morph
    It looks like their U.S. Chart success was virtually identical to that in Britain Morph ..

Looking at my reference books they had one #1 hit and 7 other releases that made the Top 10 in both countries. And in the U.S. their version of "Do You Love Me" got to #11. The only real difference is that in the U.S. they had burnt themselves out by 1968 whereas in the U.K. they carried on having hits until the end of 1970.

Funnily, their sole U.S. #1 was only a minor U.K. hit and only reached #45 .. this is it ..

Their sole U.K. #1 hit "Glad all Over" peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U.S. on April 25th 1964, where the Top 10 read as follows ..

1 - BEATLES - "Can't Buy Me Love"
    2 - BEATLES - "Twist and Shout"
    3 - BEATLES - "Do You Want To Know A Secret"
    4 - LOUIS ARMSTRONG - "Hello Dolly"
    5 - TERRY STAFFORD - "Suspicion"
    6 - DAVE CLARK 5 - "Glad all Over"
    7 - DAVE CLARK 5 - "Bits and Pieces"
    8 - SERENDIPITY SINGERS - "Don't Let the Rain Come Down"
    9 - MARY WELLS - My Guy
    10 - JAN & DEAN - "Dead Man's Curve"

http://www.billboard.com/charts/1964-04-25/hot-100

Roger

thanks for that Roger, very interesting about their USA chart successes! They were banned from a number of dancehall in the UK during the early 60's, as they used to come on to the stage & 'stomp' they carried on until all the audience were stomping with them, apparently it was something they picked up playing at US Air bases in the UK! However the owners of the dancehalls didn't like the stomping as they felt it was damaging the dancefloor & a number banned them!! lol! .... my, how times have changed!!!

So is this a UK documentary? If it is then there may be some justification. But not much.

The DC-5 was perhaps the heir apparent riding the coattails of The Beatles during the early days of the British Invasion on the international scene, however, bands like The Rolling Stones and then The Who arrived on the scene with a slightly different musical twist to what The Beatles and The DC-5 were doing...The Stones more flamboyant, and The Who more musically innovative. Then there was The Shadows, who if not for The Beatles and the ensuing Invasion, probably would have gone down as the most successful British band of that era, but they never caught back up to The Beatles and Cliff Richard decided to go off on a solo career instead of trying to reclaim the title of the top British band during the 60's...

I don't think The Dave Clark Five played on the records. Session man Bobby Graham played drums.