[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas great show, while on tour in UK

[[Edit : Just to confirm I posted this review before seeing and reading Lulu's thread, posted earlier than mine. Am now baffled, as those comments made on Facebook about Martha's performance generally contradict everything I witnessed tonight.....)

Just to report from here in the UK that I attended a great concert tonight by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas in a '60s Soul And Motown Night' - and in a theatre just a few minutes walk from my home.

It was a show which, due to previous commitments, I had felt I would probably have to miss. I was able to complete my schedule ahead of time, and ask if any tickets were available at the booking office at the theatre just a few minutes before the show started. My partner and myself were very lucky to get two very good front circle seats, as the theatre was almost entirely full [[in excess of 1,300 seats sold) - and of people from all age groups, from young teenagers to very sedate elderly people.

The British group The Foundations [["Baby Now That I've Found You", "Build Me Up Buttercup") took the first half, and had the audience on their feet with a very impressively performed set of soul favourites.

After the interval, the audience greeted Martha, Lois and Delphine [[looking great) as old friends,from the moment they took the stage to perform :

"I'm Ready For Love",
    "Quicksand",
    "Honey Chile",
    "Come And Get These Memories"
    "Nowhere To Run"
    "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things"
    "I Want You Back"
    "Jimmy Mack"
    "No One There"
    "Third Finger Left Hand"
    "Power Of Love"
    "Heat Wave"
    "Dancing In The Street"
    "Medley: "I Can't Help Myself/Signed, Sealed Delivered I'm Yours/Knock On Wood"

Martha seemed in fine voice tonight. While I accept and understand that some do find her use of notes at the top of her range not to their taste, tonight Martha generally seemed to use her lower register, pulling the mike well away from her when hitting the highest notes, which seemed to soften the sound and blended well with the music. There were even one or two whoops, hollers and yells which sounded exactly like her 60s recordings - for example, during 'Quicksand'. On several occasions during the show, when watching her singing in side profile, Martha's microphone technique was very impressive.

There were also some little light-hearted, endearing moments : Delphine, entering stage left, reached her microphone a little before Martha, entering stage right, followed by Lois. Martha had to hastily execute some little steps [[similar to those seen on the 'Ready Steady Go 'Sound of Motown' show from 1965), to reach her microphone stand centre stage, if not to miss her cue to open the show....

Later in the show, Delphine slowly approached Martha during part of her dialogue, touched her gently on her shoulder and then tightened the zip on her costume....

Of all the songs performed, maybe "Power of Love" would be my least favourite, but it was still a good, solid soulful performance. Martha gave "Love makes me do..." the full soul treatment. "No One There" was great and very poignantly and expressively performed, The audience loved the rhythm and vocal interaction the ladies had with the drummer during "Heat Wave".

I'm sorry I have no video clip to offer. I am not one for rave reviews, but tonight's performance has me feeling I have been entertained by a well experienced performer, who still loves her work, exudes impressive stage presence and still offers a good, solid show.

I would have loved to have met Martha, Lois and Delphine at the 'Meet and Greet ' in the theatre bar after the show, and to have asked Martha if she was OK after taking a tumble onstage last week - although she seems fine. The queue must have had at least 100-200 excited, chattering people in it, waiting patiently for their turn, and I really needed to leave for home.

Good on you Martha - and Lois & Delphine. We all came and got our memories tonight - and we thank you for them all.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Wow! After reading the Facebook comments in Lulu's thread, this appears to be an entirely different performance from what was posted there. How can one audience seeing the same show have such contrasting opinions?

I hope Roberta skips over the Facebook comments about her First Lady of Motown and reads your review instead.

Glad that you got good seats at last minute and enjoyed the show

Lulu Guest
    I'm glad you enjoyed as well - I'm still waiting to hear back if that Facebook commenter was alone in her assessment or if others were also disappointed! I think walking out and demanding a refund is pretty extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    [[Edit : Just to confirm I posted this review before seeing and reading Lulu's thread, posted earlier than mine. Am now baffled, as those comments made on Facebook about Martha's performance generally contradict everything I witnessed tonight.....)

Just to report from here in the UK that I attended a great concert tonight by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas in a '60s Soul And Motown Night' - and in a theatre just a few minutes walk from my home.

It was a show which, due to previous commitments, I had felt I would probably have to miss. I was able to complete my schedule ahead of time, and ask if any tickets were available at the booking office at the theatre just a few minutes before the show started. My partner and myself were very lucky to get two very good front circle seats, as the theatre was almost entirely full [[in excess of 1,300 seats sold) - and of people from all age groups, from young teenagers to very sedate elderly people.

The British group The Foundations [["Baby Now That I've Found You", "Build Me Up Buttercup") took the first half, and had the audience on their feet with a very impressively performed set of soul favourites.

After the interval, the audience greeted Martha, Lois and Delphine [[looking great) as old friends,from the moment they took the stage to perform :

"I'm Ready For Love",
    "Quicksand",
    "Honey Chile",
    "Come And Get These Memories"
    "Nowhere To Run"
    "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things"
    "I Want You Back"
    "Jimmy Mack"
    "No One There"
    "Third Finger Left Hand"
    "Power Of Love"
    "Heat Wave"
    "Dancing In The Street"
    "Medley: "I Can't Help Myself/Signed, Sealed Delivered I'm Yours/Knock On Wood"

Martha seemed in fine voice tonight. While I accept and understand that some do find her use of notes at the top of her range not to their taste, tonight Martha generally seemed to use her lower register, pulling the mike well away from her when hitting the highest notes, which seemed to soften the sound and blended well with the music. There were even one or two whoops, hollers and yells which sounded exactly like her 60s recordings - for example, during 'Quicksand'. On several occasions during the show, when watching her singing in side profile, Martha's microphone technique was very impressive.

There were also some little light-hearted, endearing moments : Delphine, entering stage left, reached her microphone a little before Martha, entering stage right, followed by Lois. Martha had to hastily execute some little steps [[similar to those seen on the 'Ready Steady Go 'Sound of Motown' show from 1965), to reach her microphone stand centre stage, if not to miss her cue to open the show....

Later in the show, Delphine slowly approached Martha during part of her dialogue, touched her gently on her shoulder and then tightened the zip on her costume....

Of all the songs performed, maybe "Power of Love" would be my least favourite, but it was still a good, solid soulful performance. Martha gave "Love makes me do..." the full soul treatment. "No One There" was great and very poignantly and expressively performed, The audience loved the rhythm and vocal interaction the ladies had with the drummer during "Heat Wave".

I'm sorry I have no video clip to offer. I am not one for rave reviews, but tonight's performance has me feeling I have been entertained by a well experienced performer, who still loves her work, exudes impressive stage presence and still offers a good, solid show.

I would have loved to have met Martha, Lois and Delphine at the 'Meet and Greet ' in the theatre bar after the show, and to have asked Martha if she was OK after taking a tumble onstage last week - although she seems fine. The queue must have had at least 100-200 excited, chattering people in it, waiting patiently for their turn, and I really needed to leave for home.

Good on you Martha - and Lois & Delphine. We all came and got our memories tonight - and we thank you for them all.

thank you dear westgarndboulevard you have me smiling from ear to ear, What a set list and it sound like the First Lady of Motown dr Martha Reeves delivered the goods and then some. I love it love it love it. 200 people in line to meet this great legend and I guaranttee you she was kind and gracious and sweet to every last one of them.

Thank you agin.

Fondly,

Roberta

I love this! It's showbiz, baby!

Reminds me of a similar incident when I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine in Minneapolis; about halfway through the show, Lois and Delphine switched shoes. I don't recall anything being said, and if you weren't paying attention, you would have never noticed. That just proves how in synch these women are with one another.

I enjoyed the review of the Vandellas performance; I've yet to read the other one. I think the key is; you can't see a heritage artist like Martha Reeves and expect to see a show like you might have in the 60's.

Milven , Lulu, Roberta and Mary........as I believe Martha herself would say to you : "Bless Your Hearts".

My partner does not naturally 'feel' Motown or soul music, but is ever devoted, and accompanies me. [[oh yes, I know I'm lucky!)

I was tired after a busy day, but decided I could override that 'at the last minute' and wanted to be in attendance when Martha was in town [[well,who can say when it will be for the last time...?), and he instantly agreed.

I do suspect, from little comments made, that he's become rather fond of seeing Martha on stage over the years, singing her old songs [[I love that comment I heard Bettye LaVette make about herself - "I'm just an old broad, singing my songs..")

Not being an original fan, my partner just accepts Martha as a lady of certain years, who has a great deal of experience in her craft, and is now foremost a stage perfomer, addressing the oldies market.

I'm inclined to follow his example in perception, and enjoy Martha for who she is, right now. I can hear her original recordings any time I like, but I believe it's an absolute mistake to expect Martha to sound just like her records - although, largely she still can, and does.

So, I now simply do NOT expect her to sound like her records. For me, it works much better, and I can be open-minded, instead of tied to yesterday.

I believe time has brought more to Martha's singing voice than it has, of course, taken away - and even her speaking voice is still extraordinarily compelling...with vibrato in there, too! Always was. Her high "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" note is always best heard in the context of the whole show, not simply in isolation, on somewhere like YouTube.

Who would have said to Katherine Hepburn, when she developed that tremor in her head and voice, that she should give up acting, because it was 'sad'. It gave her authenticity and dignity with the years, and enabled her to add some valuable insight to her roles. It would have been absurd, and not a little mean-minded, to say she should let it all go, because she didn't look or sound just as she did when young.

People can often be negative about others because they are unhappy in their heart for some reason, and look for someone else to remedy that - instead of quietly looking to themselves, and working on their own problems. Facebook is great for social contact, but can spread negativity very quickly. My understanding is that the comments refer to a performance given prior to the one given last night.

[[additional edit: I have now checked out that Motown Facebook page, and also the details of the lady who made the initial comment. It appears that she and I were indeed at the same show. I did not find the theatre sound system to be as clear as it could have been last night. If people did complain,and 'asked for refunds', it is likely that at least some were unhappy with the overall sound, and not necessarily Martha's performance - as I certainly complained about the sound during the first half of the show presented here as part of the 'Dancing in the Streets' tour in 2002, with Edwin Starr and Freda Payne)

So yes, what we saw on stage last night was, at the very least, a perfectly good, authentic and entertaining oldies show for anyone. This response of mine is becoming long [[!), but I could give further critique on the show.

For example : I'd change the order of the songs, and open with "Quicksand" [[with an extended intro to greet the audience and encourage them to get on up and party), and then follow with "I'm Ready For Love", which I feel Martha performs with some restraint.

And I'd put in "Forget Me Not", especially for the UK shows......but still it remains that what we saw on stage last night was, at the very least, a perfectly good, authentic and entertaining oldies show. The band was great, too.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Loved reading your posts, WGB. Beautifully written comments and insightful observations. And what a great evening you had.

Milven , Lulu, Roberta and Mary........as I believe Martha herself would say to you : "Bless Your Hearts".

My partner does not naturally 'feel' Motown or soul music, but is ever devoted, and accompanies me. [[oh yes, I know I'm lucky!)

I was tired after a busy day, but decided I could override that 'at the last minute' and wanted to be in attendance when Martha was in town [[well,who can say when it will be for the last time...?), and he instantly agreed.

I do suspect, from little comments made, that he's become rather fond of seeing Martha on stage over the years, singing her old songs [[I love that comment I heard Bettye LaVette make about herself - "I'm just an old broad, singing my songs..")

Not being an original fan, my partner just accepts Martha as a lady of certain years, who has a great deal of experience in her craft, and is now foremost a stage perfomer, addressing the oldies market.

I'm inclined to follow his example in perception, and enjoy Martha for who she is, right now. I can hear her original recordings any time I like, but I believe it's an absolute mistake to expect Martha to sound just like her records - although, largely she still can, and does.

So, I now simply do NOT expect her to sound like her records. For me, it works much better, and I can be open-minded, instead of tied to yesterday.

I believe time has brought more to Martha's singing voice than it has, of course, taken away - and even her speaking voice is still extraordinarily compelling...with vibrato in there, too! Always was. Her high "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" note is always best heard in the context of the whole show, not simply in isolation, on somewhere like YouTube.

Who would have said to Katherine Hepburn, when she developed that tremor in her head and voice, that she should give up acting, because it was 'sad'. It gave her authenticity and dignity with the years, and enabled her to add some valuable insight to her roles. It would have been absurd, and not a little mean-minded, to say she should let it all go, because she didn't look or sound just as she did when young.

People can often be negative about others because they are unhappy in their heart for some reason, and look for someone else to remedy that - instead of quietly looking to themselves, and working on their own problems. Facebook is great for social contact, but can spread negativity very quickly. My understanding is that the comments refer to a performance given prior to the one given last night.

[[additional edit: I have now checked out that Motown Facebook page, and also the details of the lady who made the initial comment. It appears that she and I were indeed at the same show. I did not find the theatre sound system to be as clear as it could have been last night. If people did complain,and 'asked for refunds', it is likely that at least some were unhappy with the overall sound, and not necessarily Martha's performance - as I certainly complained about the sound during the first half of the show presented here as part of the 'Dancing in the Streets' tour in 2002, with Edwin Starr and Freda Payne)

So yes, what we saw on stage last night was, at the very least, a perfectly good, authentic and entertaining oldies show for anyone. This response of mine is becoming long [[!), but I could give further critique on the show.

For example : I'd change the order of the songs, and open with "Quicksand" [[with an extended intro to greet the audience and encourage them to get on up and party), and then follow with "I'm Ready For Love", which I feel Martha performs with some restraint.

And I'd put in "Forget Me Not", especially for the UK shows......but still it remains that what we saw on stage last night was, at the very least, a perfectly good, authentic and entertaining oldies show. The band was great, too.
    You are real lucky to have such a devoted and understanding partner westgarndboulevard God bless you both and long reign the first lady ogf Motown Rencores Dr Martha reeves.

My very best to you and you partner.

Roberta

Thank you Meth2 and Roberta.

Mary...I've been wondering about this, ever since I saw your post. Why would Lois and Delphine have wanted to switch shoes in the middle of a performance....?

Thank you Meth2 and Roberta.

Mary...I've been wondering about this, ever since I saw your post. Why would Lois and Delphine have wanted to switch shoes in the middle of a performance....?
    I can only speculate as both pairs were exactly the same. My guess is that one pair might have been "tighter" than the other.

Quite honestly, it's more common than you might think. I have a monthly show; a revue if you will that I co-produce with one of my life long friends; I call her my "sparkle sister". Quite often we'll switch shoes in the middle of a show. That's why I got such a kick out of witnessing Lois and Delphine. Honey I've been there, done that.

I might add: I found Lois and Delphine to be two of the sweetest women I had ever met. After the show, I hung around to get autographs and pictures. I met Martha fist, who was gracious enough to autograph a CD for me and snap a picture with me. I asked if Lois and Delphine were coming out; she said they were still in their dressing room and that I should just go back and say "hello". Having been to the venue before, I knew exactly where to go; I knocked on the door and they were so warm and welcoming. I got their autographs as well and was lucky enough to get a picture with them. Delphine even gave me her email address so I could send her the pictures.

To bring this back to what I had said earlier; clearly these women are no spring chickens. I didn't go expecting to hear Martha [[and Lois) sound just like they had on their records 40+ years previous. I went because I enjoy their music, I appreciate the gifts they've shared over the years, and quite honestly, it's nice to be amongst Motown royalty. Seeing them happy; seeing them make the audience happy, that makes me happy.

I'd catch their show again in a minute.

Mary, I couldn't put your last paragraph better if I wrote it myself. And I'm a reserved Englishman....

Ten years ago, I stood in the foyer of the same theatre that I attended on Sunday night, and had two lovely chats with Martha, during the ' Dancing In The Streets' tour. She signed my copy of her book, then offered to autograph everything else I had with me, including a newspaper article, and we had a kiss.

My partner said later I should have taken my own tambourine with me [[strictly for home use only!) to be autographed.

Perhaps I can refer you to more of my thoughts about the recent show which I've just posted on the other thread about Martha - which I'm really glad that Lulu started, and brought to everyone's attention.

It's true that we can't please everyone all of the time. It's just part of today's world that news which is negative spreads even faster than before....

Mary, I couldn't put your last paragraph better if I wrote it myself. And I'm a reserved Englishman....

Ten years ago, I stood in the foyer of the same theatre that I attended on Sunday night, and had two lovely chats with Martha, during the ' Dancing In The Streets' tour. She signed my copy of her book, then offered to autograph everything else I had with me, including a newspaper article, and we had a kiss.

My partner said later I should have taken my own tambourine with me [[strictly for home use only!) to be autographed.

Perhaps I can refer you to more of my thoughts about the recent show which I've just posted on the other thread about Martha - which I'm really glad that Lulu started, and brought to everyone's attention.

It's true that we can't please everyone all of the time. It's just part of today's world that news which is negative spreads even faster than before....
    It's funny; I had actually thought about bringing a tambourine for Martha to sign.

One thing I think that has been mentioned here before with "stars" and autographs: in line to meet Martha, there was a man in front of me, probably in his late 20's, early 30's, that brought an UNCOMFORTABLE amount of items for Martha to sign. I'm talking, LP's, CD's, pictures......Martha was gracious enough to sign them all, which took quite a while. I think she even made a joke that she'd end up seeing them on eBay. Funny thing too: he had an import copy of "Dance Party". She said that she'd never seen it and never knew it was available on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's funny; I had actually thought about bringing a tambourine for Martha to sign.

One thing I think that has been mentioned here before with "stars" and autographs: in line to meet Martha, there was a man in front of me, probably in his late 20's, early 30's, that brought an UNCOMFORTABLE amount of items for Martha to sign. I'm talking, LP's, CD's, pictures......Martha was gracious enough to sign them all, which took quite a while. I think she even made a joke that she'd end up seeing them on eBay. Funny thing too: he had an import copy of "Dance Party". She said that she'd never seen it and never knew it was available on CD.
    I've seen that happen a few times. It can be quite a pain to stand in line behind a guy getting every record he owns signed. That's why I usually only take one or two at a time. It has taken years, but I finally have all of my Martha albums autographed. And she is so very patient, putting a different message on each, while telling stories about particular album covers.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

martha would have been real thrilled and happy to sign you tambourine marybrewster. Take it to miss reeves next time and have her sign it? the First Lady of Motown never disappoints her fans and is always real thrilled to meet every single fan she has and there are millions.

Yours, with every good wish.

roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    martha would have been real thrilled and happy to sign you tambourine marybrewster. Take it to miss reeves next time and have her sign it? the First Lady of Motown never disappoints her fans and is always real thrilled to meet every single fan she has and there are millions.
    Indeed. As well as [[like 144man said) trusting WGB's testimony over some random punter on Facebook, something else makes me wonder about the criticism: there was a comment from one of those Facebook posters in the image posted on Lulu's other thread, about Martha being rude when someone asked for a photo. I find this incredibly hard to believe, as not only does everyone make a point of mentioning how generous Martha is with her time [[and everyone seems to have a story to tell about the person in front of them bringing a sack full of memorabilia for her to sign!), but also my one and only interaction with her makes it sound very unlikely.

In short: I named my baby daughter Martha [[in honour of Miss Reeves, my favourite Motown artist) and she took the time to reply on Twitter saying she was "truly honored" [[which I've printed out and framed for my Martha when she's old enough to understand it and not want to eat it).

Anyway, like lots of people have said, I wonder if many casual fans even realise Dancing in the Street is a fifty-year-old record, and so to expect to hear it performed the same way as if Miss Reeves was a contemporary chart starlet belting out their latest hit... it's going to leave everyone disappointed. Sad to say, but I wonder if the knock-off/pirate touring groups [[e.g. those ersatz Marvelettes and Supremes featuring ladies who must be in their early forties at most) might have skewed public perception - that, and the much younger line-ups of the Tops and Temptations...? I don't know, I'm just firing out ideas.

There's also an interesting conversation to be had about how [[mainly male*) blues, rock and jazz pioneers in their seventies [[and older!) are allowed to mature, their live shows seen as an opportunity to spend some time in the presence of greatness, allowances being made [[even factored in in advance) for however elderly and/or cantankerous they might be, but R&B and pop stars seem to have to be perpetual teenagers.

[[* Mainly, though not exclusively - I remember Nina Simone being accorded plenty of "well, she's earned it" respect for some seriously [[intentionally?) shambolic late live appearances, for instance. But I digress.)
    Last edited by radionixon; 04-08-2014 at 07:03 PM.

For the casual fan, those young "knock offs" DO skew public perception.

I also believe there is some sexual bias that exists - the women have to be thin, slim, no chin, pushed up boobs and perfect voice whereas the 70 year old men can get fat, go bald or choose to stretch their face skin so tight that they permanently smile.

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Indeed. As well as [[like 144man said) trusting WGB's testimony over some random punter on Facebook, something else makes me wonder about the criticism: there was a comment from one of those Facebook posters in the image posted on Lulu's other thread, about Martha being rude when someone asked for a photo. I find this incredibly hard to believe, as not only does everyone make a point of mentioning how generous Martha is with her time [[and everyone seems to have a story to tell about the person in front of them bringing a sack full of memorabilia for her to sign!), but also my one and only interaction with her makes it sound very unlikely.

In short: I named my baby daughter Martha [[in honour of Miss Reeves, my favourite Motown artist) and she took the time to reply on Twitter saying she was "truly honored" [[which I've printed out and framed for my Martha when she's old enough to understand it and not want to eat it).

Anyway, like lots of people have said, I wonder if many casual fans even realise Dancing in the Street is a fifty-year-old record, and so to expect to hear it performed the same way as if Miss Reeves was a contemporary chart starlet belting out their latest hit... it's going to leave everyone disappointed. Sad to say, but I wonder if the knock-off/pirate touring groups [[e.g. those ersatz Marvelettes and Supremes featuring ladies who must be in their early forties at most) might have skewed public perception - that, and the much younger line-ups of the Tops and Temptations...? I don't know, I'm just firing out ideas.

There's also an interesting conversation to be had about how [[mainly male*) blues, rock and jazz pioneers in their seventies [[and older!) are allowed to mature, their live shows seen as an opportunity to spend some time in the presence of greatness, allowances being made [[even factored in in advance) for however elderly and/or cantankerous they might be, but R&B and pop stars seem to have to be perpetual teenagers.

[[* Mainly, though not exclusively - I remember Nina Simone being accorded plenty of "well, she's earned it" respect for some seriously [[intentionally?) shambolic late live appearances, for instance. But I digress.)
    Oh my goodness youve made this silly woman cry at her work radionixon. Thats the most beautiful thing naming your precious daughter after the First Lady of Motown record D r Martha reeves. I know our beloved miss reeves was real touched and real thrilled and very proud that you did this.

may God always bless you and your beautifull daughter and may he always watch over you.

Fondly,

roberta

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    For the casual fan, those young "knock offs" DO skew public perception.

I also believe there is some sexual bias that exists - the women have to be thin, slim, no chin, pushed up boobs and perfect voice whereas the 70 year old men can get fat, go bald or choose to stretch their face skin so tight that they permanently smile.
    Look what happened on Twitter last month when 81 year old Vertigo star Kim Novak made a rare public appearance at the Oscars. Yes, she had a lot of plastic surgery and she was nervous, but the attacks on her for looks were really disgusting. And if she had no work done she would have been attacked as well for looking old. Fortunately a lot of people rose up to defend her. One woman launched a "post a selfie without wearing makeup" campaign. It went viral and a group of women in the UK took the campaign and used it to raise several million pounds for cancer research in the UK. As for Kim Novak, she's making public appearances this weekend at the Turner Classic Movie Festival and will be attend an exhibition of her artwork next month in Ohio. So she's doing fine too.

At the risk of banging my own tambourine a little too loudly, here goes with some more on the subject....

Today I went back to the same theatre where I saw Martha's show on Sunday, to book some tickets for a forthcoming show. I had it in mind to enquire about any feedback that might have been received. I bought the new tickets, and was told [[by the same lady who sold me the Martha tickets) that "it should be a good show"

That was all the cue I needed.

I told the lady at the desk that I had bought a couple of good seats from her for Martha's show, and she smiled, then looked at me slightly hesitantly. I told her it was a really good show, and how much I had enjoyed it...and I could tell by her immediate reaction that she had first thought that I was actually going to complain about it.

I mentioned I'd seen a couple of negative remarks on Facebook when I had returned home after the show, and asked if it was true that people really had complained and asked for refunds. She said yes, they had, but just a very few. I asked if they received them, and she laughed, and said the management did not offer refunds, unless the show had to be cancelled. She added that it often happened that some people would enjoy a show, but pretend they hadn't, and try for refunds. Then she smiled again and said "but didn't those ladies look just beautiful in those dresses, and they stayed for a long time after the show, talking to all those people from the audience"....

She paused and said "if you've a moment, would you like to step over to the lady at the reception desk and tell her what you've just told me, that you enjoyed the show, as I think your feedback would be appreciated. Tell them Annette sent you " [[she can't possibly have known quite why that name made me smile so broadly)

There were two ladies on the reception desk. I told them how I felt, and they said it was good to hear that I, like most of the other ticket holders, had enjoyed the show, and they confirmed that the business had indeed been very good for the performance.

I again said I had enjoyed it, thanked them, and turned to leave. One lady then leant over, dropped her voice and said "would you be kind enough to drop us a line by email? I can pass it on. It can happen sometimes, but the promoter was still rather downhearted to hear that just some people were saying they were not happy"

So....just to say I am about to send that email. I was assured it will be brought to the attention of the house management, and the promoter, 'at least' - so I will include a message of thanks and love from us on SDF, just in case it does reach Martha.....

As and when I receive a response, I will post it here.

smark21 Guest
    So what show are you going to see next at that venue?

At the risk of banging my own tambourine a little too loudly, here goes with some more on the subject....

Today I went back to the same theatre where I saw Martha's show on Sunday, to book some tickets for a forthcoming show. I had it in mind to enquire about any feedback that might have been received. I bought the new tickets, and was told [[by the same lady who sold me the Martha tickets) that "it should be a good show"

That was all the cue I needed.

I told the lady at the desk that I had bought a couple of good seats from her for Martha's show, and she smiled, then looked at me slightly hesitantly. I told her it was a really good show, and how much I had enjoyed it...and I could tell by her immediate reaction that she had first thought that I was actually going to complain about it.

I mentioned I'd seen a couple of negative remarks on Facebook when I had returned home after the show, and asked if it was true that people really had complained and asked for refunds. She said yes, they had, but just a very few. I asked if they received them, and she laughed, and said the management did not offer refunds, unless the show had to be cancelled. She added that it often happened that some people would enjoy a show, but pretend they hadn't, and try for refunds. Then she smiled again and said "but didn't those ladies look just beautiful in those dresses, and they stayed for a long time after the show, talking to all those people from the audience"....

She paused and said "if you've a moment, would you like to step over to the lady at the reception desk and tell her what you've just told me, that you enjoyed the show, as I think your feedback would be appreciated. Tell them Annette sent you " [[she can't possibly have known quite why that name made me smile so broadly)

There were two ladies on the reception desk. I told them how I felt, and they said it was good to hear that I, like most of the other ticket holders, had enjoyed the show, and they confirmed that the business had indeed been very good for the performance.

I again said I had enjoyed it, thanked them, and turned to leave. One lady then leant over, dropped her voice and said "would you be kind enough to drop us a line by email? I can pass it on. It can happen sometimes, but the promoter was still rather downhearted to hear that just some people were saying they were not happy"

So....just to say I am about to send that email. I was assured it will be brought to the attention of the house management, and the promoter, 'at least' - so I will include a message of thanks and love from us on SDF, just in case it does reach Martha.....

As and when I receive a response, I will post it here.
    WGB - If I hear that the promoter is named Gloria, I'm gonna pass out!

P.S. Your night out has turned into such a wonderful experience in many ways, and it's been terrific to read about it. For someone like myself who couldn't possibly attend, you've brought me incredibly close to it. I'm hoping that you'll be attending the upcoming Brenda Holloway/Velvelettes show and will write about it. [[Ditto Tbfxt who is sure to be there.)

Smark....

We're fortunate to have several venues here in our town, catering for all tastes in music. The tickets I bought yesterday are on behalf of a lady friend who does voluntary work here in town with my partner, but lives in a Dorset village some distance away. I said I'd accompany her as her 'walker'. Sadly, it's not a Motown or soul show - it's a family show. Not my style at all, and half of me is wondering why ever I said I'd go [[!), but I'll try to be open-minded. Presented by Peter Andre - the line-up has yet to be finalised, but includes Pixie Lott. My knowledge of either is little to none, beyond name recognition

Meth2...

Thanks for your compliments [[and you're missed on the Word Association thread. I was beginning to think you'd become extinct....).

I'm intrigued to know if the promoter [[named Gloria or otherwise!) might be a soul/Motown/Martha fan, but probably will never discover the truth.

The UK is a small country. Even so, I'm a two hundred mile round trip from London and, although I used to live and work there decades ago, can't remember the last time I visited, being kept busy here on the South Coast.

While Tbfxt and I are in regular contact, we've never actually met. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone else who posts regularly here, and yes, John is sure to be there. He is among the several SDF members based here in the UK who is very knowledgeable on Motown. He knows much, much more than I do. He makes me fully aware that he thinks I should get out more [[LOL!) ,although I always seem to be busy - and, in turn, I wish he would post more regularly here, but no doubt he is also busy. So I'm looking forward as much as you, to hearing how the Brenda Holloway/Velvelettes show went!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-10-2014 at 05:25 AM.