[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas great show, while on tour in UK

[[Edit : Just to confirm I posted this review before seeing and reading Lulu's thread, posted earlier than mine. Am now baffled, as those comments made on Facebook about Martha's performance generally contradict everything I witnessed tonight.....)

Just to report from here in the UK that I attended a great concert tonight by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas in a '60s Soul And Motown Night' - and in a theatre just a few minutes walk from my home.

It was a show which, due to previous commitments, I had felt I would probably have to miss. I was able to complete my schedule ahead of time, and ask if any tickets were available at the booking office at the theatre just a few minutes before the show started. My partner and myself were very lucky to get two very good front circle seats, as the theatre was almost entirely full [[in excess of 1,300 seats sold) - and of people from all age groups, from young teenagers to very sedate elderly people.

The British group The Foundations [["Baby Now That I've Found You", "Build Me Up Buttercup") took the first half, and had the audience on their feet with a very impressively performed set of soul favourites.

After the interval, the audience greeted Martha, Lois and Delphine [[looking great) as old friends,from the moment they took the stage to perform :

"I'm Ready For Love",
    "Quicksand",
    "Honey Chile",
    "Come And Get These Memories"
    "Nowhere To Run"
    "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things"
    "I Want You Back"
    "Jimmy Mack"
    "No One There"
    "Third Finger Left Hand"
    "Power Of Love"
    "Heat Wave"
    "Dancing In The Street"
    "Medley: "I Can't Help Myself/Signed, Sealed Delivered I'm Yours/Knock On Wood"

Martha seemed in fine voice tonight. While I accept and understand that some do find her use of notes at the top of her range not to their taste, tonight Martha generally seemed to use her lower register, pulling the mike well away from her when hitting the highest notes, which seemed to soften the sound and blended well with the music. There were even one or two whoops, hollers and yells which sounded exactly like her 60s recordings - for example, during 'Quicksand'. On several occasions during the show, when watching her singing in side profile, Martha's microphone technique was very impressive.

There were also some little light-hearted, endearing moments : Delphine, entering stage left, reached her microphone a little before Martha, entering stage right, followed by Lois. Martha had to hastily execute some little steps [[similar to those seen on the 'Ready Steady Go 'Sound of Motown' show from 1965), to reach her microphone stand centre stage, if not to miss her cue to open the show....

Later in the show, Delphine slowly approached Martha during part of her dialogue, touched her gently on her shoulder and then tightened the zip on her costume....

Of all the songs performed, maybe "Power of Love" would be my least favourite, but it was still a good, solid soulful performance. Martha gave "Love makes me do..." the full soul treatment. "No One There" was great and very poignantly and expressively performed, The audience loved the rhythm and vocal interaction the ladies had with the drummer during "Heat Wave".

I'm sorry I have no video clip to offer. I am not one for rave reviews, but tonight's performance has me feeling I have been entertained by a well experienced performer, who still loves her work, exudes impressive stage presence and still offers a good, solid show.

I would have loved to have met Martha, Lois and Delphine at the 'Meet and Greet ' in the theatre bar after the show, and to have asked Martha if she was OK after taking a tumble onstage last week - although she seems fine. The queue must have had at least 100-200 excited, chattering people in it, waiting patiently for their turn, and I really needed to leave for home.

Good on you Martha - and Lois & Delphine. We all came and got our memories tonight - and we thank you for them all.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.