[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Martha Performance Disappoints Audience. Can Anyone Else Verify?

Saw this in the "Motown" group over at Facebook:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lulu; 04-06-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Sorry, here is a larger image of the first part:

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 7.40.57 PM.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  12.7 KB

Lulu Guest

That's strange. I can only speak from my own experience, and had already started a new thread on the good experience I had at Martha's concert tonight, before I read this one

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    That's strange. I can only speak from my own experience, and had already started a new thread on the good experience I had at Martha's concert tonight, before I read this one
    The whole things seems rather drastic which is why I would have expected a little more digging on the part of folks on this forum, especially the diehard Martha fans. However, it may be part of a larger issue which I've started to notice on these boards which is that no one wants to drudge up any potentially negative news about Motown artists unless their names rhyme with Fairy Filson or Fiana Foss.

smark21 Guest
    Well you can't please everyone in the audience. Probably just the voicings of a few disgruntled people with active facebook accounts.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well you can't please everyone in the audience. Probably just the voicings of a few disgruntled people with active facebook accounts.
    I suppose but this girl didn't seem "disgruntled" but rather "disappointed" and to claim that people were demanding refunds?!? A bit much...I've seen some horrible shows but have never seen THAT happen!

All performers have off nights. There was also a comment on Twitter that said she was bad and that they never saw so many people walk out. I say cut Martha some slack. She fell on stage recently and maybe she was in pain. She went out there and did the best she could. Die hard Martha fans will never see anything wrong with her singing. Casual concert goers are a bit more realistic.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 04-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.

'Disgruntled people with active facebook accounts' and 'Casual concert goers' are extremely astute and accurate descriptions.

I was sitting up in the circle for that show, and could see almost all the stalls. I slipped out the end of the row, and walked around the very top of the circle, then up and down the walkways. I have to admit I don't really rate the acoustics in that theatre [[one of my locals), so was curious to hear how the show was coming over in different areas of the house. A few people left their seats in the stalls, heading slowly up the aisles, towards the back of the theatre during 'Dancing in the Street' - and many were dancing to the music as they went. If they were going to complain at that late point in the show, it seems a curious time to do it...

I'm sure they wanted to be among the first to reach the 'Meet and greet' session after the show. I wish I'd done just that as, by the time we reached it, there were so many in the queue, I couldn't see the front of it, so I had to let it go. Those people looked and sounded very happy. And I bet Martha, Lois and Delphine had a word and a smile for each one of them. If the negative comments had been made by people who really knew much about Martha and her career [[albeit being somewhat disappointed patrons), they would have stayed just to speak to Martha afterwards.

The Foundations did indeed put on a very good show - somewhat unexpectedly, as they are not currently well known here in UK. There has been more than one version of the band over the years. The lady sax player was very impressive.I believe everyone had paid [[there must have been at least 90% capacity) principally to see Martha & the girls. Many present may also have attended when the girls last appeared here in my town in December 2010, at what was formerly the Grand Theatre, but later converted and is currently the Academy dancehall [[where many years ago I'd attend for disco evenings!), and they sold the place out.

The Foundations really got the place jumping for the interval. We were all called back to our seats, but then sat for too long before Martha came on. I thought "we've lost the momentum of this show" She opened with "I'm Ready for Love", using a mike stand [[and for much of the programme), singing it in her lower register. She didn't work the stage using a hand mike as much as normal. So, the second half did not open with the bang the entire show needed to maintain the momentum set up by The Foundations.

Also, as much as I enjoy listening to Martha's speaking voice, the sound system was not so clear that we could hear everything she said [[as she does have a breathless, very rhythmic way of phrasing her speech, occasionally falling over her words in her haste ) - so I can imagine that some people's attention may have wandered, and then turned negative.

Clem Curtis of The Foundations' spoken introductions and chat to the audience were delivered in a punchier, more emphatic way than is Martha's style. In other words, if you weren't in front and mid stalls, you would likely have missed a lot of what she said. I can understand why some of the patrons who bought a ticket for casual entertainment might have felt less involved, as the songs were linked with chat from Martha, as per usual, but just slightly inaudible at times.

Martha, Lois and Delphine entered to a huge cheer. While the applause was very enthusiastic, audience reaction was kept more for the end of the first few songs. There was nothing particularly wrong with Martha's voice [[and I'm by no means an uncritical fan, I just would prefer positive criticism) - in fact, at times I was really surprised how well she was interpreting the songs, and how close she could get to that 60s sound. Martha was so into it that, for me, she almost over-souled 'Love makes me do foolish things'...

During Martha's show, many left their seats, and stood in the aisle around each side of the stalls and boogied. Many also went down to the front and stood, waving their arms and singing. There were security people there to make sure it did not get out of control.

I took a couple of pics on my mobile. They're not good, as the circle is too far away, but the people in the stalls were just having a great time. And the people up in the circle with us were standing up, clapping and cheering.

You go, Martha. I'd love to see that show all over again.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-08-2014 at 07:09 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Here's a related article on walkouts from a recent BB King show.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014....html?ref=arts

It must be remembered that Martha, after all, is almost 73: an age when most people have long retired. To make judgments based on criteria for someone in her 20s does everyone a disservice. Her voice, like most professional singers' voices, was arguably at its best when she was in her 30s and 40s. She had learned to stop straining for high notes and began singing more from the diaphragm, allowing the high notes to be "pulled" rather than "pushed" out, and consequently she was able to add another octave to her high range without straining. She also started using more vibrato around this time, which, unfortunately, later got a bit out of hand. Still, you have to hand it to her. How many people of 73 could maintain a constant schedule of touring and performing?

Absolutely. Martha is doing the best with what she has.

What we get is a living. What she gives us, is life.

Those glorious songs are life itself to Martha. In their original arrangements, they aren't exactly the most ideal material for anyone now in senior years, even to contemplate tackling....

I trust Westgrandboulevard's judgement more than anything on Facebook.

Lulu Guest
    I guess to each his/her own. I didn't think that girl was being malicious. She seemed sad and probably hadn't followed Martha much over the years since the "hit" days of the 60s. Personally, I adore my Martha/Vandellas collection but I'm just not on board with the changes in her voice over the years or her look. God bless her for being a legend and keepin' it going when, as you've said, many have long left the business. I'm just not into the Martha of "today" and won't be buying concert tickets or new material. I'm happy with my collection which includes some rare nuggets!

I will support and love the First Lady of Motown record Dr Martha reeves until she or I take our last breaths on this here earth before departinG to be with our beloved Father in his beloved and revered heavenlly mansion where we shall dwell for all eternity.

blessings and love to all.

Roberta

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I will support and love the First Lady of Motown record Dr Martha reeves until she or I take our last breaths on this here earth before departinG to be with our beloved Father in his beloved and revered heavenlly mansion where we shall dwell for all eternity.

blessings and love to all.

Roberta
    As is your God given right to do so! You keep it classy, Miss Roberta and always do and I for one, appreciate that on these forums!!! I felt the same way about Miss Judy and unfortunately, I didn't get to see her after her 47th year on God's earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    As is your God given right to do so! You keep it classy, Miss Roberta and always do and I for one, appreciate that on these forums!!! I felt the same way about Miss Judy and unfortunately, I didn't get to see her after her 47th year on God's earth.
    Thank you for you lovely words my dear LUlu.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thank you for you lovely words my dear LUlu.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Well, I mean it.

I'm sure Martha Reeves is aware of the issues with her voice and the issues some fans have with it.

Martha is on Facebook and my recollection is that "it is really her", not someone doing it for her.

And I'm sure she has decided she wants to keep on truckin anyways, probably because she genuinely loves what she does and loves the interaction with her fans.

smark21 Guest

Lulu Guest
    Nice article and beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.

Cool

that is the prettiest recent picture of the First Lady of Motown dr Martha reeves ive ever seen. She look like a woman in her 40s.

thank you smark21;221574

Fondly,

Roberta

That article does summarize Martha's continuing joy at doing her shows and meeting her fans.