[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

What happened to the Duke Fakir predicts Supremes reunion thread?

IT was here last night but seems to have vanished. Or are my eyes failing me?

I think His Highness called somebody an "xoxhxle" on it for one.

Likely, someone also concluded it was the musings of some old people on various topics and just turfed it all.

Someone said another thread got turfed too.

The members were conducting themselves fine in the thread and it was enjoyable to read. Then Marv called Roberta an asshole and told her that she didn't like powerful black woman entertainers. Roberta defended herself and other posters defended her. Naturally, Marv retaliated and the thread went downhill.

Instead of removing the problem, the entire thread was removed.

And that's the rest of the story

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The members were conducting themselves fine in the thread and it was enjoyable to read. Then Marv called Roberta an asshole and told her that she didn't like powerful black woman entertainers. Roberta defended herself and other posters defended her. Naturally, Marv retaliated and the thread went downhill.

Instead of removing the problem, the entire thread was removed.

And that's the rest of the story
    Don't even try it unless your going to get it right! Don't try to put the blame on me. You are becoming the worst. You and the rest of them think you can just say anything you want huh? HA!

Thank you dearest Milven for your kindness but please please please I beg all of you dont respond to him cause he love the attention . It just isnt woRth it.

roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Don't even try it unless your going to get it right! Don't try to put the blame on me. You are becoming the worst. You and the rest of them think you can just say anything you want huh? HA!
    I don't think I can call Roberta an asshole. I don't have the same privileges on this board that seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thank you dearest Milven for your kindness but please please please I beg all of you dont respond to him cause he love the attention . It just isnt woRth it.

roberta
    Ooops ! I just did respond, but I will try not to. Oh well, at least he will be in Europe soon. Maybe he will be too busy to post here.

supremester Guest
    I love all Supremes [[to varying degrees) and all Supremes fans [[also to varying degrees.) I'm trying to mend fences with Marv and am inviting him to coffee or drink or a bite to hopefully bring us all "closer to heaven." However, so far, he has not accepted. I don't know where Roberta lives, but she is such a bright, positive light here that I'm sure she shines wherever she is. Martha is lucky to have a fan like Roberta and Mary is lucky, in some respects, to have a fan like Marv. I loved Smarky's WWE post but never got a chance to accept it. Marv does tend to play the race card in a manner that some would term "eager."

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I love all Supremes [[to varying degrees) and all Supremes fans [[also to varying degrees.) I'm trying to mend fences with Marv and am inviting him to coffee or drink or a bite to hopefully bring us all "closer to heaven." However, so far, he has not accepted. I don't know where Roberta lives, but she is such a bright, positive light here that I'm sure she shines wherever she is. Martha is lucky to have a fan like Roberta and Mary is lucky, in some respects, to have a fan like Marv. I loved Smarky's WWE post but never got a chance to accept it. Marv does tend to play the race card in a manner that some would term "eager."
    Please, oh please Greg, don't come back and tell us that you and Marv went up the ladder to the roof.

That would be a killer for me!

That's really funny that someone who constantly finds themselves in some discordant communication with nearly everyone would imply that "OTHERS" think they can say anything they want to others.

I thought this forum was about "Motown" and not some place where the innocent have no idea where a minefield is being laid. There's a small number of posters that make this forum an unpleasant experience.....so much so, several people in or once in the music industry stay as far away as possible.

I did what I thought was best, gang. There are times I wish I could just eliminate any thread that even suggests the name Supremes. It always goes south. And Marv isn't the only guilty party when these things go down.

supremester Guest
    This is a great forum and even a little unpleasantness can't spoil it for me. Just like in life, there are obstacles. I feel name calling, thuggery and such are obstacles. I'm not going to miss learning that there is more to Up The Ladder because I may be at odds with another person on here. I read a lot and learn a lot from many threads that I don't post on. I love reading/discussing the minutiae, everyone's varied opinions. I'm sorry anyone gets called names and, when it happens, consider the source and move on. As Miss Ross said, "Next!"

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    ... And Marv isn't the only guilty party when these things go down.
    No, he isn't. But he's the cause of it. Are we supposed to just let him call us assholes, and retarded and stupid ? We defend ourselves and that's how the threads go down.

Glad you are here Ralph. Now you can answer the question directly here. Are we also allowed to call members assholes without fear of reprimand from you or loss of our membership?

Not that I will call anyone here an asshole, but it would be nice to know that we are all being treated equally by you and have the same rights and privileges as Marvin

Lulu Guest
    I find it interesting that both recently deleted threads not only dealt with The Supremes but also touched on LGBT culture. I would hope that, even in 2014, such mentions would not be considered "taboo". I felt I made a strong case for the Stonewall Veterans and their love of Motown artists: both male and female and even referred folks to their website which showcased Diana Ross, The Supremes and many of the other artists we discuss here on a regular basis. I thought it would be interesting to highlight Motown as seen though the lens of this particular demographic.

Good it was deleted,it's a lot of messy people here,they try to say it nice,but i can tell it's really nasty,i don't go alone with everything Marv say,but i don't go alone with everything my sister says either,and i LOVE her,a lot of people here think they are foolin us,but they are not foolin me lol,i just LOVE The Supremes from the 70s

Milven,
    To answer your question.....No. We are not allowed to call people names here. Tell you what...why not you simply not worry about it. You don't know what I do behind the scenes to keep peace here. And for your information, Marv isn't the only catalyst when problems arise.

[QUOTE=ralpht;221189]You don't know what I do behind the scenes to keep peace here. [\QUOTE]

Thanks for your guidance Ralph.

I frankly don't understand why we don't use "private messages" if someone has an issue with something that was said. Otherwise, it can be construed that said poster is indeed looking to cause an unnecessary scene and turbulence. I do believe that is one reason Ralph created that section. As tempting as may be to "take it to the streets", consider that it does little more than hurt others and remember that is NOT this forum's intent.

Milven,
    To answer your question.....No. We are not allowed to call people names here. Tell you what...why not you simply not worry about it. You don't know what I do behind the scenes to keep peace here. And for your information, Marv isn't the only catalyst when problems arise.
    Thank you for responding. I'm glad that we are not allowed to call each other names here and now expect Marv to comply to those rules. My personality does not allow me to NOT worry about it and NOT respond if someone calls me stupid, or to mind my own business just because I ask a question to clarify a statement made by a poster. But, I will, at least, make an effort not to respond. I'm glad to know that insulting members will no longer be allowed.

And yes, as a former fellow moderator, I do know how difficult your job is to keep the peace here and I have a vivid idea of what you have to do behind the scenes to keep the peace. We may do it differently, but to each his own. Considering the size of this forum, it must be difficult to keep us all in line.

I like this forum because it acts as a one stop place for info about an industry that I had been part of for decades. It's a shame that some members spoil it .

The Supremes fans [[I am a fan) get blamed for most of the drama. But it is the fanatics of the individual Supremes who cause the drama. It brings down the entire forum. In spite of what you may think, I do appreciate that you do try to keep the peace. With the heavy traffic on this forum, it has to be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

roberta
    Roberta, as I just explained to Ralph, my personality makes it difficult not to respond when Marv insults me. I am just not wired that way. I can make no promises, but I will make a strong effort not to respond to an insult from him.

Marv may be the one who starts the drama with his insults, but it is our responses that then bring down the thread which is then eventually deleted by Ralph. I will take your advice and give it my best shot. And the problem may have already be solved. Ralph said that Marv is a catalyst here, but he is not the only one. Ralph also declared that none of us, and I assume that includes Marv, are allowed to insult members or call each other names. I consider that good news.

Milven,
    To answer your question.....No. We are not allowed to call people names here. .. And for your information, Marv isn't the only catalyst when problems arise.
    Last edited by milven; 04-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.

If Mary and Diane do decide to reunite, then it would be nice to see Duke and the Four Tops as their opening act.

I think we always need to ask ourselves "what difference does it make?"

Most of what is expressed here is opinion. Little is fact beyond chart position. But we don't know how rich they are, what they think, nor can we accurately put together what happened 30, 40 and 50 years ago.

No one should be an asshole for an opinion they hold. No one should be expressing views that are in breach of hate laws, human rights codes or basic laws and as we've seen, the owners of the Forum don't want to be party to conduct that might create legal liability for a Forum that is run as a service for us fans.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Roberta, as I just explained to Ralph, my personality makes it difficult not to respond when Marv insults me. I am just not wired that way. I can make no promises, but I will make a strong effort not to respond to an insult from him.

Marv may be the one who starts the drama with his insults, but it is our responses that then bring down the thread which is then eventually deleted by Ralph. I will take your advice and give it my best shot. And the problem may have already be solved. Ralph said that Marv is a catalyst here, but he is not the only one. Ralph also declared that none of us, and I assume that includes Marv, are allowed to insult members or call each other names. I consider that good news.
    I think the message is real clear that its best we ignore marv to the best of our abilities although allowing someone to call human beings in this here public forum "ass**les" and dumb and stupid and ignorant isnt doing them any good for at the end of the day we should learn and grow and and improve our mind and soul from our past transgressions.

These are two of my favorite quote from the scriptures.

The book of Psalm say:The Lord upholds all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down.

From Proverbs:
    When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is it is wisdom that we receive.

Wishing everyone a beautiful and blessed Sunday.

Roberta

supremester Guest
    Those are two very thought provoking and wise quotes, Roberta. I appreciate you.

Those are two very thought provoking and wise quotes, Roberta. I appreciate you.
    Thank you dear.

fondly,

Roberta

Do you think Mary really wants this? What would each have to do to make this happen? Are you supporting this?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    If Mary and Diane do decide to reunite, then it would be nice to see Duke and the Four Tops as their opening act.

supremester Guest
    Can't Miss Ross just send her a ham at Easter and be done with it?

I know a lot of people,won't like this,but the sound of a Supremes reunion is a JOKE,Mary Wilson and Diana Ross,NEVER,but we can all dream,these ladies are in they're 70s,enjoy the music,THE END

supremester Guest
    I only wish love and happiness for everyone in the world. If, through love and happiness, a reunion would occur, I'd be all for it - with Lynda filling in for Cindy again, of course. However, these wimmin owe us nothing - including a reunion. Especially a reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I know a lot of people,won't like this,but the sound of a Supremes reunion is a JOKE,Mary Wilson and Diana Ross,NEVER,but we can all dream,these ladies are in they're 70s,enjoy the music,THE END
    How come you say this Redhot? Do you have some information or is it just a feeling?

I would have thought you would be among those that really hope for the possibility.

From what I've heard, I would agree with you; but I have no first hand information and I wish it were possible for a one time thing.

smark21 Guest
    Redhot no longer signs his posts "Please stay positive". If he does add a signature or catch phrase to posts again, given the recent tenor of his posts, the line could likely by "Please stay pessimistic".

I really needed that one Smark....

LOL I Tryed to push Please Stay Positive here,but it didn't work,no matter how many times i said it,i'v had negative thought's here,but 98%of the time, i keep them to myself,i NEVER believe there was gonna be a Supremes Reunion the first time around,i'v met All The Supremes except Florence Ballard,and talk with them many times,i love them all,some of the ladies i feel a friendship with,it's things i know about them i would NEVER post,because it's wrong,i have too much love for them,i'v seen fan here tell some of the ladies personal business,That was soooo wrong,and they claim to be the ladies friend,from the things i know,and the things i see,A Supremes Reunion ?NEVER,and again it's just my opinion,i just don't see it,i'd like to see The Grammy's give The Supremes an award,and Mary and Diana accept it,alone with Berry Gordy,now that would be something,THE END
    Last edited by REDHOT; 04-07-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    ....I'd like to see The Grammy's give The Supremes an award,and Mary and Diana accept it,alone with Berry Gordy,now that would be something,THE END
    That sounds do-able and possible and probably the closest thing that we will get.
    I can be positive about an appearance together for a special Grammy award.

PLEASE STAY POSITIVE

However, these wimmin owe us nothing - including a reunion. Especially a reunion.
    I agree 100%. We have no right to just expect them to go out of their way to give us a reunion. Either this story with Duke is false, or he's starting to go crazy. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I'm not holding out for [[or expecting) a reunion ever again.

After the Lifetime Achievement Award to Diana, it makes no sense to me, nor do I believe there will ever be Lifetime Achievement Award to the Supremes. There will be acrimony over who to give it to - Flo? Mary? Diana again? Cindy? Diana will get two? Several of them won't accept it if others get it.

I just don't think they'll give another one to a Diana led group where in recent years, hundreds of questions were raised about who sang on released singles and where whole albums were released with no Supremes behind Diana [[i.e. Xmas album). What about Funny Girl?

It's fraught with problems.

A one off appearance of Diana Mary Lynda for a couple songs, where they are all caged separately to have no access to each other sounds better to me.

The Beatles just got their Lifetime Grammy Award this year. McCartney and John Lennon also got individual awards nearly 20 years ago. Just like it was a major blemish on The Grammys not to give The Beatles a Lifetime Achievement Award, it also remains a blemish that The Supremes have not yet received theirs. [[Billy Preston and even George Martin were considered 5th and 6th Beatles. McCartney requested that the sequence of credit to Lennon/McCartney be changed to McCartney/Lennon for the songs he wrote solo....not the same as The Andantes fact, but, controversial still the same).
    Its only my opinion, but, its more likely that Diana, Florence and Mary would be the recipients similar to the a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. But then again, both David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards and the "classic 5 era" were both inducted into the Rock 'n a Roll Hall of Fame, rightfully so.
    NARAS has always been neglectful to Motown acts. Save for Stevie Wonder, Motown acts were rarely invited to perform on The Grammys. Michael, Gladys Knight & The Pips and Marvin did not perform until after they left Motown. [[because of NARAS' well hidden secret of block voting amongst the majors, an indie label, like Motown were treated very unfairly). Despite Diana's several appearances on The Oscars, Michael's appearance on The Oscars.....and the Academy Awards is a far more prestigious award than the Grammys in the entertainment business. So Motown was good enough for the Oscars, but, always seemed to be treated like second class citizens to the Grammys.
    That said, I still hold out believe that The Supremes will finally be awarded though I have real mixed emotions about being "too little, too late".
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 04-07-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to complete a point succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    After the Lifetime Achievement Award to Diana, it makes no sense to me, nor do I believe there will ever be Lifetime Achievement Award to the Supremes. There will be acrimony over who to give it to - Flo? Mary? Diana again? Cindy? Diana will get two? Several of them won't accept it if others get it.

I just don't think they'll give another one to a Diana led group where in recent years, hundreds of questions were raised about who sang on released singles and where whole albums were released with no Supremes behind Diana [[i.e. Xmas album). What about Funny Girl?

It's fraught with problems.

A one off appearance of Diana Mary Lynda for a couple songs, where they are all caged separately to have no access to each other sounds better to me.
    With the way the Grammys award artists who have songs filled with autotune, I don't think they care if the Andantes were on their singles or albums. I highly doubt the Grammy committees were sitting up late at night worried over whether Mary & Cindy were on the Funny Girl album [[which they were). It's all a part of the music business.

I still believe they are deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award, but as Bokiluis said the Grammys treated Motown as second class citizens. Then again, with the way they are doing their award shows and giving out awards to artist least deserving I don't think the Grammys are all that prestigious anymore. They've become more of a joke in my eyes. If they do award the group with the Lifetime Achievement more than likely it will be Mary accepting along with Florence's daughters. With their nice reunion last year, Diana may be open to accepting with Mary.

Just because Diana got one doesn't mean the group don't deserve one. If that doesn't make sense to you then maybe in your eyes Diana was the only one who mattered.

Diana, for instance, has never been in the running for a solo induction into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame because her solo career is probably viewed too adult contemporary [[like a Streisand or Dionne Warwick). Even though Diana's repertoire is quite diverse including game changing releases like "Love Hangover", "Upside Down" and/or her Central Park concert, one of the first hosts of the now defunct Rock Awards and even her much bigger globally cover of Frankie Lymon &The Teenagers "Why Do Fools" though Frankie was inducted. [[Eventhough "Eaten Alive" may have flopped here, internationally it hit the Top 10 in many European countries probably due in no small part to Michael's involvement).
    It really took "Blue" to remind the industry that Diana had mastered jazz. Her show-stopping rendition of "Strange Fruit" while inducting Billie Holiday also commanded a standing ovation from an industry that sometimes considered her "light weight". Love her or not, Diana has successfully tackled almost every genre in music. The Kennedy Center Honor, to me, was the bottom line....Diana Ross has had one of the most incredible careers in the entertainment business!
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 04-07-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Forgot another significant point and grammar.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Diana, for instance, has never been in the running for a solo induction into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame because her solo career is probably viewed to adult contemporary [[like a Streisand or Dionne Warwick). Even though Diana's repertoire is quite diverse including game changing releases like "Love Hangover", "Upside Down" and/or her Central Park concert, one of the first hosts of the now defunct Rock Awards and even her much bigger globally cover of Frankie Lymon &The Teenagers "Why Do Fools" though Frankie was inducted.
    It really took "Blue" to remind the industry that Diana had mastered jazz. Her show-stopping rendition of "Strange Fruit" while inducting Billie Holiday also commanded a standing ovation from an industry that sometimes considered her "light weight". Love her or not, Diana has successfully tackled almost every genre in music. The Kennedy Center Honor, to me, was the bottom line....Diana Ross has had one of the most incredible careers in the entertainment business!
    Weren't she and Paul McCartney shaded for not showing up in '88?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Weren't she and Paul McCartney shaded for not showing up in '88?
    That one I don't remember. Since that time she has inducted Holland, Dozier, Holland and The Jackson 5, so coupled with Billie Holiday's induction.....I don't see her being blacklisted if that's what you mean.
    The Supremes induction came right after that book so there was no way Diana would have attended. Besides, doesn't it seem like she let's mary handle most of The Supremes adulation and awards [[e.g. The Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, "promotion for "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", interviews, etc.)

Lulu Guest
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the other honorees made some dig about Paul and Diana not bothering to show up. In any event, I thought Diana was THAT big that she'd be a shoo-in in 1995 when her solo career turned 25. Unfortunately, the further they reach for inductees, the less I think she'll be feted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the other honorees made some dig about Paul and Diana not bothering to show up. In any event, I thought Diana was THAT big that she'd be a shoo-in in 1995 when her solo career turned 25. Unfortunately, the further they reach for inductees, the less I think she'll be feted.
    I'm in total agreement. In the beginning years, 5-7 inductees were necessary to catch up, at best, it should now be reduced to 1 or 2. There just aren't enough career-established acts to pull from.

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame has almost becoming laughable as well, in my opinion or at least, a head scratcher despite my shiny globe on my neck and shoulders.

The Supremes and all the legendary Motown acts made sense since the first era of rock 'n roll extends to the late 50s through the mid-70s.

As much as I think Chic has made a major contribution to music, are they really rock'n roll? Nile Rodgers possibly as a solo musician and producer. But Chic being denied for over 7-8 years is not surprising. Then again, hey if Abba can be inducted, why not Chic?

supremester Guest
    The Supremes more than deserve a Lifetime Grammy - they recorded for 16 years and charted for decades with hits packages. Of course, Ross wasn't the ONLY Supreme that mattered, but she was the major force in the group and that's generally accepted by everyone except two people on Youtube. Mary has insisted awards only to be given to DMF and Miss Ross ain't having it. Mary told Scherrie & Cindy to stay in the crowd at The Walk Of Fame. Mary thinks it's only about DMF and that's her prerogative. I am told that The RNRHOF issue stemmed from not including Cindy and, I am told, that Miss Ross told them to shove it - and that's why she hasn't been inducted. It hurts people's feelings to be excluded. I think if ALL Supremes were to be inducted [[from Barbara to Susaye) Miss Ross would participate. Otherwise, DR&TS should be inducted with DMFC, but it might just be Mary & children again. Miss Ross could send Rhonda LOL.

I don't think the use of The Andantes has had the slightest effect on this and that there are probably only a couple dozen people in the world who give a sh%t.

There is no way to reasonably explain Miss Ross' RARHOF absence as a solo by citing her work. She has had huge hits on all charts and, compared to other inductees, it's absurd she's not there without extenuating circumstances. ABBA anyone????
    Last edited by supremester; 04-08-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Wow. I never heard this but that actually makes perfect sense! Diana seems to be a fan of all the Supremes... not just the period where she, Mary and Florence ruled pop audiences in the mid '60s even if Mary feels that way... interesting. The Supremes should've been received their Lifetime Achievement.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-09-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Lulu Guest
    The Supremes more than deserve a Lifetime Grammy - they recorded for 16 years and charted for decades with hits packages. Of course, Ross wasn't the ONLY Supreme that mattered, but she was the major force in the group and that's generally accepted by everyone except two people on Youtube. Mary has insisted awards only to be given to DMF and Miss Ross ain't having it. Mary told Scherrie & Cindy to stay in the crowd at The Walk Of Fame. Mary thinks it's only about DMF and that's her prerogative. I am told that The RNRHOF issue stemmed from not including Cindy and, I am told, that Miss Ross told them to shove it - and that's why she hasn't been inducted. It hurts people's feelings to be excluded. I think if ALL Supremes were to be inducted [[from Barbara to Susaye) Miss Ross would participate. Otherwise, DR&TS should be inducted with DMFC, but it might just be Mary & children again. Miss Ross could send Rhonda LOL.

I don't think the use of The Andantes has had the slightest effect on this and that there are probably only a couple dozen people in the world who give a sh%t.

There is no way to reasonably explain Miss Ross' RARHOF absence as a solo by citing her work. She has had huge hits on all charts and, compared to other inductees, it's absurd she's not there without extenuating circumstances. ABBA anyone????
    Weren't the Supremes honored by The Rhythm and Blues Foundation a few years back? I thought Rhonda and Tracee accepted on behalf of Diana but I'm not sure if Mary was in attendance or if Florence's family was there.

LadyLola Guest

Damn! I thought some of the old radicals in Berkeley from the 70's were uptight.

supremester Guest
    To quote Egbert Souse', " Clever observation."

Diana is a woman of her word, it will not happen in this lifetime.

supremester Guest
    It's a shame that the fans that want a reunion won't get one, I think more fans don't want one. I am one of those. I don't want even an iota of unnecessary drama or heartache for Miss Ross and to me, this is like shaking the Devil by the tail. Clearly she was wary the last time and tried to circumvent trouble by keeping finances separate. That didn't work. I think it was a logical and wise decision that didn't work out well. Like she said on 20/20, I'm paraphrasing, " if Mary has been feeling like this for 30 years.......... I can't change that..... it would be difficult for me to share stage with her." A very class way to say, "NFW!!!!!!!!!!!" We might just need to accept that, for whatever reason and no matter which old bg singer predicts it, or who is to "blame" if blame must be assigned, that the train has left the station, the station has closed due to budget short falls and the platform is now a Tim Horton's.
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Diana is a woman of her word, it will not happen in this lifetime.

Duke and Otis must be unaware that Cindy is not in the best of health to perform.

supremester Guest
    It seems inconceivable but with so many people milling about.........well, well. I guess Mary, after working over a month with Duke, must have forgotten to mention it. "Just slipped your mind..." Addison reminded unconvincingly.