[REMOVE ADS]

Marv Johnson Story

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Another out of copyright release on Marv Johnson to come out in May from Jasmine.
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/search.php?searchid=398677

I just received my copy yesterday Mystery. It has 2 tracks that I needed for my collection. "Show Me" and "Johnny One Step" there are a few other B. sides that haven`t appeared on CD yet. It`s a shame that they are not on here.

You'd think that Universal would be way more protective of these songs. Just look at what they did with the 1962 and 1963 digital releases. It's quite surprising to me that they let Marv's songs/albums go into the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post
    You'd think that Universal would be way more protective of these songs. Just look at what they did with the 1962 and 1963 digital releases. It's quite surprising to me that they let Marv's songs/albums go into the public domain.
    There's nothing they could do about it, these tracks were all released in 1961 or earlier, where the 50-year EU copyright rule applies. Songs released in 1962 are also in the public domain in the EU. Motown Unreleased 1962 extended the copyright for the songs in that collection because that was their first release.

Starting with 1963 releases, a 70-year copyright rule applies in the EU, provided the songs are actually released within 50 years of their recording date. If not released within 50 years, the copyright expires. That's why we got Motown Unreleased in late 2013.

This Marv Johnson cd and the copyright laws were discussed in this thread:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...t=marv+johnson
    Last edited by calvin; 04-04-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Marv Johnson, great artist that he was, was never given the respect that his talents deserved by record companies. He was treated very unfairly professionally. We are still experiencing the results of that treatment today!

I heartily agree!

^ Me too. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Me too. What a shame.
    Did you know that Motown let Marv come in just about everyday for nearly 3 years.....to record and never told him his contract was no longer valid?!!!!

I bet they still charged him for the sessions even if he was out of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I bet they still charged him for the sessions even if he was out of contract.
    ....and what about the recordings? hmmmm..............................