[REMOVE ADS]

unreleased Bettye LaVette track from 1978

I have been doing a radio show every Monday with a friend, Ed Alstrom.
    We had a celebrate spring dance party on March 24, and Bettye gave me permission to play this track on the air.
    The show is archived here for 2 weeks, so if you have any interest, give a listen. It's near the top of the show.

http://wfdu.streamrewind.com/bookmar...0827/got-soul-

I am interested. So I clicked that link and it started to play an intro and then it went blank. What am I doing wrong?

I am in France at present - does that make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    I have been doing a radio show every Monday with a friend, Ed Alstrom.
    We had a celebrate spring dance party on March 24, and Bettye gave me permission to play this track on the air.
    The show is archived here for 2 weeks, so if you have any interest, give a listen. It's near the top of the show.

http://wfdu.streamrewind.com/bookmar...0827/got-soul-
    Kevin, now you know.......1978 was the year Miss Bettye released that OTHER song that I loved by her, if this one is anywhere near as good then I am going to find a way to record and save this show! LOL!

One the best versions of "Dancing in the Streets" I have ever heard! That would have worked very well in 1978! Does Miss Bettye know that was not released? It was updated very well for the sound that was happening at the time.

smark21 Guest
    Does Martha Reeves know about this? I know she's not that happy when others cover this song, especially if she's in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Does Martha Reeves know about this? I know she's not that happy when others cover this song, especially if she's in the audience.
    I am sure she wasn't upset. She and Miss Bettye go way back. By the way Martha re-recorded a new version the following year called "Skating In the Street" or something close to that.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-27-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I am interested. So I clicked that link and it started to play an intro and then it went blank. What am I doing wrong?

I am in France at present - does that make a difference?
    It's supposed to be able to play world wide. check it again.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Nobody knew about it except for those who worked on it. There were 5 tracks recorded that year, none of which were officially released until Bettye leased Feelings and Shoestring to Charly.

smark21 Guest
    YOur wife was wise to keep it on the DL, at least until now. I hope Martha doesn't get too angry when she finds out.

Smark21, I don't know who you are, but there was no mentality of keeping it on the DL. It was just not released. Bettye has known Martha since 1962. I don't see why she would get mad. It seems like you are trying to make more out of this than there is.

Here's the deal. Song recorded in 1978 and not released. Bettye owns the tapes. It is still unreleased. I played it this one time on a radio show. I shared the link here so that those on the forum who like Bettye could hear it, not to stir shit up.

Hi boyfromxtown, I'm in France also, and can confirm it plays perfectly on my set up....
    regards
    Mike

smark21 Guest
    I bring up Martha's reaction because over the years there have been incidents where she has not been pleased to hear someone else perform Dancing in the Streets. She almost walked out of Mary Wilson/Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Girl Group stamp event because one of the opening acts performed Dancing in the Streets. And I believe she was upset when she attended the early Motown/Marvelettes musical in Detroit in which Dancing was performed. And she can be rather tart in her own live show when mentioning how others have recorded Dancing in the Streets before she goes into the song. From reading your wife's autobiography, I get the impression she's very tough and can hold her own in the event Martha becomes upset with her for recording Dancing in the Streets.

Love Bettye but I don't like her version of 'Dancing In The Street' at all! In fact it sounds quite like this one by Rita Jean Bodine!

As for Martha getting upset, what a load of crap! Even if she did, which I very much doubt, she would just have to get over herself.
    Last edited by copley; 03-28-2014 at 04:20 PM.