[REMOVE ADS]

FLIP WILSON UNSUNG On TV ONE Tonight 3/26

Repeats of the Flip Wilson Show are on TV ONE tonight from 8 to 10 featuring such guests as Cosby and the Jackson 5. At 10 p.m. there will be a show about Flip Wilson called UNSUNG HOLLYWOOD.

Thanks Milven. I sure wish they'd release the entire Flip Wilson Show episodes on DVD.

We have to watch it!!

I knew his family, they were neighbors of Smitty & Myself.
    I knew his Nephew and his older Sister who raised Flip. His Sister told me a lot about the early years.
    His children also lived near us. Flip would come back to J.C. in his Rolls Royce with KILLER on the lisence plate, lol.

Jimmy was good friends with Flip. Flip was not only a great comedian but a very stand-up guy with his friends. Jimmy will want to see this. They had an emotional moment the last time Jimmy saw Flip, when Flip came to see Jimmy at Jimmy's show at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel's Cinegrill. That night the ladies of music also came to see Jimmy and have a Champagne Party, Nancy Wilson, Ruth Brown, Bonnie Raitt, etcetra..................

Again, it will be interesting to see what is real and what's not, and just how much of his story they tell. I am sure just like in Smitty's [[Manhattans) UNSUNG they will leave out Flip's beginnings and maybe the end too as they did with Smitty!!

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 03-26-2014 at 11:43 AM.

I love his episode with the Temptations

edafan

Just like with Smitty they did not interview any family members about when he was growing up in J.C., I figured we wouldn't hear much about those early years.

One thing I do not like about UNSUNG is they interview people who did "not actually know" the Artist and they interview people, writers, or disc jockey's who weren't even born yet back then, nevermind not knowing jack or very little about the Artist's career and nothing about their personal life period! Instead of interviewing people who "were actually there" or family members.
    They may even interview a fan who really "has nothing to offer" [[but what they got from what someone else said who was there was from an interview they read somewhere else who's words they copied [[why ???), that is so rediculous). I saw that this season. Pssst!
    My biggest pet peeve with UNSUNG.

Flip's kids were real small when they lived around the corner from us in J.C.. But his Sister, grown Niece, & grown Nephew lived at the end of our street or beginning however you looked at it [[lol) in an apartment building on Bergen Avenue. They should have interviewed them, the family that raised Flip and could speak to his early years before he hit it big.

S.S.

Soul Sister I thought it was good I saw it yesterday BUT....Im with you they need to stop talking to all of these people like Tracy Morgan and others. I didnt know Alan Thicke was a writer on the show it was good to see him there and others. I remembver seeing an interview on youtube and a YOUNG Tom Joyner was speaking to Flip near his malibu home and asked him why he left the limelight. Flip said "To spend more time with his children and I believed it. His family said that was not true. I really wanted this one to be two hours and it could have been that easily. There was no disrespect to him though and they made sure that people knew he was one of the first and to own syndication rights Joan Rivers pointed that out. There is a book out about Flip as well I saw it on Amazon I think I will order it. Good show I liked it.

Hi Stephanie,
    I too was surprised to find out Alan Thicke was a writer on Flip's show. Yes, it was pretty good for an hour show. His book should be fastinating, maybe I'll order it too, I 'd like to see what is said about the early days. His sister told me some stuff too.

S.S.

I'll have to check out episode online this weekend. I didn't know someone had gotten around
    to writing a book on Flip either. He changed television years before Arsensio Hall...

in case you missed it, here's the full episode http://tvone.tv/shows/unsung-hollywo...-episode-.html

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    in case you missed it, here's the full episode http://tvone.tv/shows/unsung-hollywo...-episode-.html
    That was excellent and thank you Glencro! Flip Wilson lived an amazing life and it would make a for a very nice film.

I watched it this morning and enjoyed it very much. I was glad it went into his relationships
    with both Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor too. I can't wait to read that bio on him now...

He was indeed an very funny and an extremely smart man, who paved the way for many others to follow. He is indeed one to be remembered.

Really nice job they did. Always had the utmost respect for that man. Kinda rode that line between Pryor and Cosby. Though you always got the impression that he wanted to slide into raunchiness in the back of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Soul Sister I thought it was good I saw it yesterday BUT....Im with you they need to stop talking to all of these people like Tracy Morgan and others. I didnt know Alan Thicke was a writer on the show it was good to see him there and others. I remembver seeing an interview on youtube and a YOUNG Tom Joyner was speaking to Flip near his malibu home and asked him why he left the limelight. Flip said "To spend more time with his children and I believed it. His family said that was not true. I really wanted this one to be two hours and it could have been that easily. There was no disrespect to him though and they made sure that people knew he was one of the first and to own syndication rights Joan Rivers pointed that out. There is a book out about Flip as well I saw it on Amazon I think I will order it. Good show I liked it.
    Hi Stephanie, do you remember the book's title?

Thank you, Steph.

Let us know how it is, Mr. June?

S.S.