[REMOVE ADS]

Motown photo exhibition in London

The boyfromxtown touched on this back in May, but today I called in to an interesting free exhibition of 'rare and unseen' Motown photos from the EMI press office archives. It's on at Proud Camden in the Stables market area at Camden Lock until July 13th. There are 39 large photos, with around half from 1964-1966 including promotional visits to EMI's then headquarters at Manchester Square in '64 and the Revue visit in '65. The photos go through to around 1981 with later shots of Marvin and Stevie.

It's well worth a visit - the earlier photos are terrific. I've not checked in my book collections to see whether they really are 'rare and unseen' though. They've got music playing too. They're trying to sell copies of the photos [[at very high prices!). There are also some [[also slightly pricey) mugs, T shirts, turntable slip mats etc. A good way to while away a little time!

Having said that, you can see them all online at:
    https://www.proudonline.co.uk/exhibitions

Thanks for the link - it's frustrating to see all these great Motown-related exhibitions around the world and none of them are ever near me, but at least some things are available online!

And unless I've been misinformed and £ is the symbol for yen then the prices are indeed ridiculous.

marymary
    The Yen symbol is a Y with 2 horizontal lines through the vertical line of the Y. Although I've seen the lines throught the "v" part of the "y" too.Google Yen sign.

Well .. £400 for copies of these photos seems bizarre to me and Y400 [[which would translate as about £3) seems more realistic!!

For those who prefer to think in US$ ... £400 = approximately $675 ....

I'm intending to visit this exhibition at some stage [[lets hope they haven't read this post) and shall have to remember to "forget" to have my credit card on me ....

Roger

Compare the prices for Motown connected pictures with those for the Beatles! Don't they know there's a credit crunch on?

And what makes the prices even worse is that they are excluding VAT, so you'd have to add another 20% on top!

But if you're registered for VAT and can validly say the the costs are a business expense, you can claim the VAT back.

All I have to do now is find a registered VAT business who wants their offices brightened up with some nice pictures.......

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    marymary
    The Yen symbol is a Y with 2 horizontal lines through the vertical line of the Y. Although I've seen the lines throught the "v" part of the "y" too.Google Yen sign.
    The yen reference was a joke...usd or euros converted to yen become a much larger number, it would have made the pricing seem more reasonable!

I think we all have a yen for some of those snaps!