[REMOVE ADS]

James brown movie "get on up" coming out this summer

Had no idea this was in the works but the trailer makes me want to see it. Plus glad to see that they have some big wigs behind this

Also see this!

Well, at least it looks like the film will feature the subject's music this time. I won't see this
    in the theatres though. I wasn't impressed enough by the actors or the trailer. I'll see it probably in November or December when it's on dvd and the library is circulating copies...

The movie probably won't even get much play in theaters, either. I'll wait for the home video too.

Given the success of "Ray" and "What's Love Got To Do With It?", maybe they'll give it the push it needs. I still don't trust Mick Jagger's involvement though.

They should've used wesley snipes.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    They should've used wesley snipes.
    He's a bit too old now as would Eddie Murphy be but the two of them would have been great for the part.

Actually Timmy, I believe that Mick Jagger makes perfect sense.

Remember, a lot of people overseas was introduced to James via "The T.A.M.I. Show" & we know whose misfortune it was to have to try to follow James' explosive performance that day...

Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones.

I believe that he has tremendous respect for James & actually, I'm glad that he is involved for that reason.

On the other hand, James pissed off a lot of his peers for a lot of different reasons. Better Mick involved than a lot of them because amongst his peers, he was not a well-liked man.

And as a kid whose father ran with the man & grew up idolizing him & getting in trouble for doing the "James Brown" at the blackboard in the 3rd grade, that's a very difficult admission for me to make.

But flaws & all, I always loved James Brown for what he meant to us at a time when we really needed heroes.

From all accounts [[except for Al Sharpton), James was nothing easy to deal with. I'm just glad that I never had to work for him, so my good memories of what he meant to me remains untarnished

Now in my opinion, I can think of no one besides Eddie Murphy whom ever seemed to really nail James. Makeup could've been used to make Eddie appear to be younger. And while his James Brown impersonations were on a comedic level, Eddie can play it straight when he has to.

As far as the performances are concerned, for an older James Brown, I would've used a gentleman from here in Brooklyn whom we call "Black Velvet" who does one hell of a job as "James Brown".

He's "Black Velvet" to us & has been for years, but many of you may know him, as he's finally gotten his props as Charles Bradley who recorded a CD with The Menahan Street Band.

I have to admit that the hardest part of this trailer is every time that he tries to speak as James Brown.

We've all come to know the voice of James Brown so I have to admit that hearing him speak throws me a bit, as it just doesn't sound authentic to me. It sounds like me trying to sound like James Brown & I have a feeling that trying to process that over the course of an entire movie is going to drive me nuts.

But as I'm happy to know that they're giving James his props on the silver screen, I'll support it just the same. But truthfully, one movie could never hope to capture the essence & contradiction that was James Brown.

A mini-series may have been a better idea.

Hopefully, someone will do the same for Sam Cooke.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    A mini-series may have been a better idea.
    The trailer indeed looks more like a cheap made-for-cable movie than a theatrical release.

Soulster, sure hope that it's not. Let's hope it's kind of a rough draft, so to speak.

Remember, a lot of people overseas was introduced to James via "The T.A.M.I. Show" & we know whose misfortune it was to have to try to follow James' explosive performance that day...

I believe that he has tremendous respect for James & actually, I'm glad that he is involved for that reason.

On the other hand, James pissed off a lot of his peers for a lot of different reasons. Better Mick involved than a lot of them because amongst his peers, he was not a well-liked man.

And as a kid whose father ran with the man & grew up idolizing him & getting in trouble for doing the "James Brown" at the blackboard in the 3rd grade, that's a very difficult admission for me to make.

But flaws & all, I always loved James Brown for what he meant to us at a time when we really needed heroes.

From all accounts [[except for Al Sharpton), James was nothing easy to deal with. I'm just glad that I never had to work for him, so my good memories of what he meant to me remains untarnished

Now in my opinion, I can think of no one besides Eddie Murphy whom ever seemed to really nail James. Makeup could've been used to make Eddie appear to be younger. And while his James Brown impersonations were on a comedic level, Eddie can play it straight when he has to.

As far as the performances are concerned, for an older James Brown, I would've used a gentleman from here in Brooklyn whom we call "Black Velvet" who does one hell of a job as "James Brown".

He's "Black Velvet" to us & has been for years, but many of you may know him, as he's finally gotten his props as Charles Bradley who recorded a CD with The Menahan Street Band.
    Considering that many former band members are still alive, any one of them would have made a great advisor for this film, or all of them. Who would make better adviors for this film than either Maceo, Bootsy, Fred Wesley, or Mr. Brown's personal assistant who's name escapes me for the moment. Charles Spurling I think. All of those musicians, especially Fred Wesley have known this man in damn near every aspect of his existence long enough to be supreme advisors. Mick Jagger simply hasn't shared that kind of personal time with JB to be a valuable advisor. The only missing piece are woman that dealt long term with JB. The three main females [[VIcki Anderson, Lyn Collins, and Marva Whitney) are no longer with us and based on Marva's recent book, his dealings with women would fill another movie.

Vicki is still with us.Mick Jagger is probably financially involved.I will with hold judgement about the movie until I see it BUT I would prefer watching real concert footage from the hey days of 64-'73.I know there is some footage out there that has not seen the light of day.I agree that Maceo, Bootsy & Fred would be great musical advisors for the film.

Juice, this World is small! The guy you all call "Black Velvet", I've met about a year and a half ago in Bay Shore, on L.I. He had video footage of some of his recent performances in the city. I never saw anyone that could imitate JB that well. I am pretty sure it's the same guy. I wished I could remember his name now.

No one looks or embodies who they are suppose to be...not JB's character, not Bobby Byrd, not Dee Dee Jenkins, not Marva Whitney, not no one I've seen in these clips. Jill Scott is suppose to be Dee Dee??? Dee Dee when young was very thin, light-skinned, and had totally different features than Jill.
    I know there won't be all the people or drama that I saw in the 1960's while hangin` at the house in St; Albans while Florence Farmer was living there and after her Dee Dee, especially since this is from the children Dee Dee had with JB & Dee Dee's perspective which would have been from 1968 on...... James son Teddy was living at the house except when he was away at school upstate, so was James' Godfather Papa Dud who toook care of the house and JB's toy poodle GiGi. I met his father Joe & Teddy's brother Terry while visiting there, also Deanna when Deidre or Dee Dee brought her home from the hospital as a newborn. Stuff was going on with JB & Bobby & Vickie after Paris. I was backstage at the Apollo when James mother Susie showed up out of the blue and all hell broke loose. Marva was also involved with JB during Florence & Dee Dee's time in St. Albans. Lots of untold drama too which I know none of that will ever get in the film, lol. I hope they at least tell how Bobby Byrd's family & Papa Dud and his wife took in JB as a wayward teen. I hope they tell the story with Velma and their kids who James was still legally married too during all of the 1960's. Teddy told me about their story to a point and his full siblings.
    It will be interesting how this all will play out.

S.S.

Hey sis,your insight is tremendous someone from this movie should've sought you out as you were there when alot of stuff happened,but i guess they would rather make it up as oppossed to talking to folks who knew jb.

Good Morning R & B,
    Although I knew a lot about the dynamics during this period when Teddy was alive [[by the way had Teddy been still with us he would have been the perfect one for the role of JB, not only did he look identical to his father but he danced all the routines and sang just like him), if the producers asked me I would never be the one to spill what I know about the family business and other information. I was a fan who spent quite a bit of time hangin` at the house who became friends with the blood family and Papa Dud [[whom was considered James father in every way that counted).
    JB had a security guard that was in the small hut at the driveway when on duty who absolutely despised JB and who talk all the dirt he knew and/or assumed, very bad.
    I would never want to discuss the personal side of JB's business, no they'd get nothing from me. I think they should talk with his long time roadies like Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley or whoever is still alive. I never saw band members at the house but they could speak to a lot of everything that went on that would be of interest to the public. It's a shame that Bobby Byrd, St. Clair Pickney, Jimmy Nolan, Danny Ray, who were all good guys and honest are no longer with us to tell the story from the beginning. Anyway, I'll be curious to see how the 50's & 60's are played out. For me musically and otherwise the show and everything went down hill from 1970 on..... JB's biggest and best hits and stage show was in the 1960's when he was "Soul Bother # 1".

S.S.

Sis you have what alot of folks who know celebs don't have today....integrity...your pal-r&b.

Oh....gee, thanks R & B. I'm no angel but the older I get the better I get in everyway, except maybe the gaining weight thing, lol.

Listen most celebs don't have integrity either nor conscience and don't get me started on the record companies.

{{{HUGS}}},
    S.S.

Myself, Florence, JB, Terry & Teddy [[eldest sons from his first marriage to Velma) ~
    Name:  Jeanie & JB group.jpg
Views: 32439
Size:  21.2 KB

c. Jeanie Scott ~ Photo not for reproduction ~

S.S.

Correction. I didn't know that Vicki was still with us. And the man I was trying to reference earlier was Charles Bobbit. They would also serve as excellent advisors.