[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Hooray! Any chance you can confirm which albums will be the next releases? Thanks, Andy - you're the greatest star!
    Andy posted this on the Nighflight thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Actually CC, I was supposed to suprise everyone by calling in and making the announcement on air, but I was busy working on a project and sadly unable to call in. John has been most generous to let us come on his show next week, and I am so excited about it. There's a few really cool surprises. Don't miss the first hour, some surprises come right away. ;-) I won't say anymore!
    Perhaps, part of the surprises might be the announcement of the next release[[s).
    So,I'm not sure if he'll answer your question now... but one never knows......

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Andy posted this on the Nighflight thread:

Perhaps, part of the surprises might be the announcement of the next release[[s).
    So,I'm not sure if he'll answer your question now... but one never knows......
    Is there anyway that i can listen to these nightflight broadcasts here in the UK??

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Is there anyway that i can listen to these nightflight broadcasts here in the UK??
    I listen regularly, but I have to stay up until 2am. Just click on the link on Midnight Johnny's thread, follow the instructions for streaming, and your computer's media player should do the rest.

I do know that some shows are archived and posted at WOMR. Because of copyright issues, the musical portions are excluded, but interviews are retained.
    There is a significant time difference [[Nightflight is on at approximately 3 A.M. in the U.K.- if I remember correctly) But some, such as Martin from the U.K., adjust their sleeping schedules to listen in.
    And I may be incorrect in this, but I believe that some may even have the ability to record the show, so as to listen to the broadcast at their leisure at a later time.
    Perhaps John Perrone might see this and give a more exact answer than I am able.

I see that Martin has responded while I was typing- thanks for clarifying.

THRILLED by the post by Andy! I will still skip "Funny Girl" on download, but to hear that the next releases will in fact be on physical format is fantastic! I will continue to purchase every single Diana related release on CD.

Thanks a lot Andy for letting us know - fingers crossed that "Baby It's Me" is finally back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    THRILLED by the post by Andy! I will still skip "Funny Girl" on download, but to hear that the next releases will in fact be on physical format is fantastic! I will continue to purchase every single Diana related release on CD.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Am I correct to assume that at this time the "Funny Girl" download will only be available in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Am I correct to assume that at this time the "Funny Girl" download will only be available in the US?
    You may be correct. I do not see it listed on Amazon.UK

Yes, I learned this digital download is a global release. I don't know what the iTunes/Amazon release date is outside of the US, but keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, I sure hope you'll have a UK slumber party with us on John's show!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Yes, I learned this digital download is a global release. I don't know what the iTunes/Amazon release date is outside of the US, but keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, I sure hope you'll have a UK slumber party with us on John's show!
    Hurray for everyone on both sides of the pond!

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that another cult type album I have long awaited release on CD [[the soundtrack to the 1981 film “Sharky’s Machine”) had finally made it to disc. It had been released about six weeks prior on February 18th 2014. On a whim I checked to see if it was available as a download. To my surprise I found it had been released as a download on December 17th 2013 [[two months prior to its physical release). I didn’t think it was done that way. Whenever I check Amazon for old or new albums I never check the Mp3 section because I have little to no interest in downloads.

However, I would have downloaded “Sharky’s Machine” in December if I had known it was available. And though I would not have been amused, I’m sure I would have purchased the physical disc too, when it was later released because I prefer manufactured CDs. So it makes me feel I should maybe wait awhile to see if an Mp3 download only project will later be converted into a physical CD. It also makes me feel economically manipulated, but this is the music business.

I wonder if it does well enough, if this album will indeed be made available on CD? It would make sense for it to. If the same fans all buy the mp3, it will help Universal to recoup the costs/investment made in the project...and I'm sure many of us would then buy it again if it went onto CD...creating an extra return for themselves that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Hi Sophie! I am going to try to e-mail you this weekend!

From the Second Disc.com, details about the release of "Funny Girl";

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/04/25/...on/#more-25058

The author of the SECOND DUSC article [[above) really hit the nail on the head, synthesizing what so many SDF members have been saying!

"In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue!"

Lulu Guest
    I for one won't be complaining or boycotting. Andy and George have been so good to us and I seriously doubt any less effort went into this release than any of the others regardless of what the record company execs. ultimately decided on. I'll pay my $9.99 and pop this puppy onto my iPhone and groove. If a CD comes along down the road, great!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    The author of the SECOND DUSC article [[above) really hit the nail on the head, synthesizing what so many SDF members have been saying!

"In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue!"
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've supported every Motown release from Hip-O [[sometimes even bought duplicates) but the vapor ware of this download doesn't interest me. I'll wait for the physical CD and hopefully there will be one sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hi Sophie! I am going to try to e-mail you this weekend!
    Hey Carlo, nice to see you checking in with SD now and then. Hope all is going well with you and yours. Take care and be well, JOsEph

Hey LuLu, couldn't have said it better.

The original album had a chorus of background singers. Berry Gordy loved it, Jule Styne hated it. Mr. Styne tells the story in the booklet. For the bonus track versions, we have removed the chorus, which in most places was used in lieu of Mary and Cindy. Except for only three key moments, on the 2014 remixes, you will now hear only Diana, Mary and Cindy on the entire album for the first time ever!
    In anticipation of the release I pulled out my DRATS FUNNY GIRL LPs and it seems as though my mono UK copy features sparser background vocals [[just Mary and Cindy?) when compared to my US Stereo copy; given Motown's history of releasing different versions in different parts of the world, I'm curious if this isn't the version Styne preferred? Or maybe it's just something about the mono mix that makes the background vocals seem thinned out? Regardless, I find it really is a satisfying project and I'm very excited about the digital release this coming Tuesday...

Hi everyone. I just want to check in for a moment. As Andy said, we would have loved to have done a physical release but had no choice this time so we did the best we could and I think it's a fantastic project. I love the new mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy. There are three songs that only have Diana's vocals so please don't think we omitted Mary and Cindy. They weren't there and we chose to not use the additional background vocals to keep the remix as pure Supremes as we could.
    Andy and I will talk about all of this on John's show Tuesday night. Thanks for all the support. I like hearing everyone's opinion, good and bad! It also never hurts to let Universal know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Hi everyone. I just want to check in for a moment. As Andy said, we would have loved to have done a physical release but had no choice this time so we did the best we could and I think it's a fantastic project. I love the new mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy. There are three songs that only have Diana's vocals so please don't think we omitted Mary and Cindy. They weren't there and we chose to not use the additional background vocals to keep the remix as pure Supremes as we could.
    Andy and I will talk about all of this on John's show Tuesday night. Thanks for all the support. I like hearing everyone's opinion, good and bad! It also never hurts to let Universal know!!!
    So nice to hear from you Mr. George! Yes, it never hurts to let Universal know.....but are they listening?

I don't know that I've ever seen so much discontent over a release; I can't imagine Universal anticipated so much dissatisfaction. How they react to all of this will be VERY telling. I anticipate it'll go one of two ways: they'll say "screw you" and make it even more difficult for future releases, or, they'll listen to their consumer; the consumer that has supported release after release, and do SOMETHING to rectify this situation. There has been a buffet of suggestions; from a limited physical release to licensing out to another company.

A company doesn't stay successful by alienating its customers. I hope for a positive response. And an increase in the advertising budget wouldn't go amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I listen regularly, but I have to stay up until 2am. Just click on the link on Midnight Johnny's thread, follow the instructions for streaming, and your computer's media player should do the rest.
    Can anyone in the uk record this for me and e mail it me? I'm on night shift and won't be able to listen

I am very excited to hear what their future releases will be! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I just hope that "Baby It's Me" is one of them - I feel like I have been waiting forever for that one!

Can anyone in the uk record this for me and e mail it me? I'm on night shift and won't be able to listen
    Is it possible to record when the source is streaming?

Here are the comments from the posting on The Second Disc blog

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/04/25/...ets-expansion/

• Do you think Hip-O Select/Universal Select is switching to digital-download only overall? I’m all for it if it gets them to release more, especially expanded, but still — it’ll disappoint many, many collectors…

• If they do it in FLAC, I’m not completely against it. But I still find “historical” releases with digital booklets a pain.

• This would have been beautiful as a CD release. I sure hope the future brings one with the booklet.

• I refuse to get excited about a digital only release, sorry…

• I don’t think there will be anymore HIp-O-Select physical reissues. This would have made a lovely set. Both the Supremes and solo Ross campaigns have not finished.

• I’m so thrilled to finally get these songs remastered… and equally disappointed that they come as downloads only. Sign of the times, I guess, but they could at least make the tracks available in FLAC.

• It has been confirmed that the next releases from Hip-O-Select will indeed be on physical format, thank god. I would have loved to buy Funny Girl on CD, but I will definitely NOT buy an MP3 “release”!
      From Motown Andy:
      Hello everyone! Wow, Funny Girl seems to have stirred up some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the playground. We are aware that most of you want CD’s, we do too.
      However, this was an opportunity to put out The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl the same day as the Streisand 50th Anniversary Broadway Cast Album, or wait until who knows when.
      We took the chance and it is paying off, paving the way for our next releases, which have all been in purgatory for the last 18 months. The others will be physical, and then maybe we can do this physically in the future as well.
      In the meantime, we hope you’ll all listen in to John Perrone’s Nightflight athttp://www.womr.org this Tuesday, April 29 at 9 PM EST/ 6 PM PST, to hear George and I discuss Funny Girl, play the new mixes, and do a loving tribute to our friend Gil Askey.
      Kevin Reeves is even stopping by to talk about our work with Diana, Gil and the new Funny Girl mixes.
      See you all then!
      Andy

• It’s hard to believe that my all-time favorite record company — MOTOWN — has resorted to second-rate digital downloads instead of first-rate, high-quality CD’s. [[I saw it coming when Motown released the series of previously-unreleased 1962 Various-Artist recordings of Gospel, Jazz, and early pop in digital download format only. I never dreamed it would happen to The Supremes) In my opinion, Motown Select’s deluxe CD reissues over the years have made Hip-oSelect THE Cadillac of reissue labels. For them to stoop so low to the opposite extreme of releasing digital downloads only is both shocking and disheartening. I’ve been begging Motown for years to release Diana Ross & The Supremes’ “Sing And Perform Funny Girl” on CD, but to no avail. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” [[a wonderful album) has seen at least three reissues on CD, but The Supremes’ “Funny Girl” got zero reissues. I just don’t get it. Come on, Motown. Some of us have been faithful fans since 1964. We deserve better.

The post duplicated above is from the “Funny Girl” set’s producer and one of the leading lights of Classic Motown catalogue, Andy Skurow.

• The “Motown Andy” referred to above is Andy Skurow, producer/historian, who has worked on the majority of the Supremes [[and Motown) CD releases through Hip-O Select the last 10+ years. It’s not Andy McKaie.

• down with digital. I have never nor will I ever purchase a digital only release.

• My thoughts exactly – never have and never will purchase a digital only release!

• I, too, am so disappointed that “Funny Girl” is arriving in only digital format. It makes no sense… Maybe Motown will sell some copies of the digitalversion now and then turn around and put out a CD version later on. Seems that is what Andy said may happen… and Motown will make money twice.
      I would love to see the Deluxe version on CD, but it not, maybe Culture Factory can get a hold of “Funny Girl” and put it out in their LP Duplication line. I have purchased the other Supremes releases in that series and find them very good…
      As for me, I will purchase the digital on Tuesday, because that’s what I will do… despite the fact that I also hate digital downloads. They feel so “empty” and void of any real connection, but at least we do get the music in a nice sound. [[It’s funny: I have two young daughters who ONLY do downloads. All they know and love is digital music. It is definitely a generational thing!)

• It would appear that Universal Music has put their mail-order “Hip-O Select” label on hold. There have been no new releases from the label in the first four months of 2014. As for the Supremes, I’m a big fan of most of their music, but not their show tunes & standards, so this is one release that I wouldn’t have bought, even if it had been released on CD.

• Tata Vega available on digital download only. pathetic. i will not even attempt to do that. it’s extremely disappointing. i want CD’s in my hand. screw technology.

• Any idea when this download will be a available outside the US? At the moment UK Supremes fans [[surely some of the most loyal!) cannot purchase it.

• I was ready to go add this to my Amazon wish list until I saw it was a digital download only.
      Another lost sale. Oh well.
    Last edited by zani57; 04-28-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Delete dingbat

The Second Disc

Expanded and Remastered Music News

The [[Motown) Music That Makes Me Dance: The Supremes’ “Funny Girl” Gets Expansion

with 19 comments

Supremes - Funny GirlI’m the greatest star/I am by far! But no one knows it…

- Fanny Brice, Funny Girl

Back in 2012, while reviewing Hip-o Select’s splendidly expanded edition of The Supremes at the Copa, I wrote of the “altogether enjoyable [and] still inexplicably not on CD” album The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl. Indeed, that 1968 LP, featuring Motown’s greatest stars tackling the showstoppers from Jule Styne and Bob Merrill’s score, has long been one of the rarest and most-requested titles in the Supremes discography. Yet Funny Girl has remained unavailable throughout the entirety of the compact disc era…until now. The good news is that the long-awaited reissue will arrive in lavishly expanded form, with twelve bonus tracks, on April 29. But with every parade must come some rain: this deluxe edition of Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl is currently only scheduled for release as a digital download. It will appear the same day that the 50th anniversary of the Broadway production of the musical is celebrated with a new CD/LP box set of its original cast recording from Capitol Records, sister imprint of Motown Select within Universal Music Enterprises [[UMe).

The eight-time Tony-nominated musical by librettist Isobel Lennart, composer Styne and lyricist Merrill opened in March 1964 at New York’s Winter Garden Theatre, sealing the deal on superstardom for its leading lady, Barbra Streisand. Streisand’s tour de force as Ziegfeld Follies comedienne Fanny Brice became the stuff of legend, and Styne and Merrill’s score yielded the near-instant standards “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and, of course, “People.” Funny Girl didn’t go unnoticed by Motown chief Berry Gordy. In concert, Diana Ross rendered the sweetly upbeat “I Am Woman [[You Are Man)” to coquettish perfection while Florence Ballard belted the dramatic “People” from the heart.

It wasn’t unusual for The Supremes to switch gears back and forth between Holland-Dozier-Holland’s explosive Top 40 R&B and classic Broadway and standard repertoire. It was all part of Berry Gordy’s plan to make his artists true stars, appealing to the affluent supper club set as well as the teenagers buying the latest 45s. In early 1965, The Supremes began work on There’s a Place for Us, so named for Stephen Sondheim’s West Side Story lyric to “Somewhere,” for which they recorded both “People” and “I Am Woman.” That summer, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard made their debut at the Copacabana, singing live many of the songs they had recorded for There’s a Place for Us. With the release of The Supremes at the Copa, the studio album was shelved, eventually arriving on CD in 2004. Other Broadway-themed Supremes recordings were made, however, some even with Holland-Dozier-Holland at the helm. 1967’s The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart, produced by Berry Gordy and arranger Gil Askey, reached back to the Broadway of decades before Funny Girl.

In 1968, however, Gordy and Askey had good reason to turn their attention back to the Styne and Merrill musical. Its big-screen adaptation was arriving from Columbia Pictures; Streisand would win an Oscar for reprising her role as Fanny. Hitting record stores on August 26, 1968 [[other sources say May) in advance of the movie’s September 19 release, Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl – performed by the new line-up of Diana, Mary and Cindy Birdsong – included nine Styne and Merrill songs [[eight from the stage score and the movie’s title song) plus “My Man,” a signature song of Brice’s that was replaced in the stage score by the ravishing “The Music That Makes Me Dance.” [[The movie featured “My Man” instead of “Music,” but Diana and the girls did both!) The Supremes promoted the album with a medley on The Ed Sullivan Show, and even Jule Styne gave his stamp of approval to the project by writing an adoring, appreciative note for the sleeve. The great composer [[Gypsy, Bells Are Ringing) observed, “Although the girls are young and new and part of the now world, they have always showed great respect towards composers Richard Rodgers, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin [[and now Jule Styne). Thank God. They are always aware of what’s new by their appreciation of the sounds of Burt Bacharach and Jimmy Webb, etc. What Diana Ross does…is something else again. If I sound excited, I am…My life is now complete. From Frank Sinatra, to Barbra Streisand, to Diana Ross and the Supremes. What a parlay!”

Despite the enormous success of the motion picture, the Supremes’ Funny Girl album only reached No. 150 on the Billboard 200 and No. 45 on the R&B chart. The motion picture soundtrack featuring Streisand fared rather better with a No. 12 peak, but Diana, Mary and Cindy didn’t have to wait long to return to chart supremacy. The very next month after the Funny Girl LP’s arrival, the group released the single “Love Child.” By November, it had reached No. 1. And that wasn’t all. Their collaborative album Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations, released the same month of November, reached No. 2 and its single “I’m Gonna Make You Loved Me” became a Billboard No. 2 Pop smash on 45. Miss Ross kept some of the Funny Girl music in her live repertoire well into her post-Supremes solo years.

What will you find on this new Funny Girl? Hit the jump for that and more!

The digital-only expanded reissue of The Supremes’ Funny Girl features twelve bonus tracks. The entire album is included in newly-remixed form; whereas the original album tracks were heavily sweetened with a chorus, these remixes will feature only the voices of only Diana, Mary and Cindy. Two further bonus tracks have been taken from live performances – “My Man” from Las Vegas, and “I’m the Greatest Star” from the 1968 television special TCB starring The Supremes and The Temps. A digital booklet is also included.

In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue! Please sound off below!

And don’t miss Sing and Perform Funny Girl on Tuesday. You can pre-order at the link below!

Diana Ross and the Supremes, Sing and Perform Funny Girl [[Motown LP MS 672, 1968 – reissued Motown Select digital-only, no cat. no., 2014) [[Amazon U.S. )
    1.Funny Girl
    2.If A Girl Isn’t Pretty
    3.I Am Woman [[You Are Man)
    4.The Music That Makes Me Dance
    5.Don’t Rain on My Parade
    6.People
    7.Cornet Man
    8.His Love Makes Me Beautiful
    9.Sadie, Sadie
    10.I’m the Greatest Star
    11.Funny Girl [[Remix)
    12.If A Girl Isn’t Pretty [[Remix)
    13.I Am Woman [[You Are Man) [[Remix)
    14.The Music That Makes Me Dance [[Remix)
    15.Don’t Rain on My Parade [[Remix)
    16.People [[Remix)
    17.Cornet Man [[Remix)
    18.His Love Makes Me Beautiful [[Remix)
    19.Sadie, Sadie [[Remix)
    20.I’m the Greatest Star [[Remix)
    21.I’m the Greatest Star [[Live from TCB)
    22.My Man [[Live from Las Vegas)

Tracks 11-22 previously unreleased

smark21 Guest
    I wonder if Jules Styne really felt that way or if he wrote what he wrote because he was getting a check from Motown?

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I wonder if Jules Styne really felt that way or if he wrote what he wrote because he was getting a check from Motown?
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think the standards and Broadway composers and lyricists would be thrilled to have their works covered by pop stars, particularly black pop stars in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think the standards and Broadway composers and lyricists would be thrilled to have their works covered by pop stars, particularly black pop stars in the 1960s.
    I think so. Gene Kelly wrote the liner notes to "Sing Rodgers and Hart" and he wouldn't have received any royalties or such from the effort. I'm sure they would love that their material was reaching new audiences. They were "crossing over" just as the Supremes were.

Diana, Mary & Cindy Sing & Perform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqPTkdYzgc#t=103

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think so. Gene Kelly wrote the liner notes to "Sing Rodgers and Hart" and he wouldn't have received any royalties or such from the effort. I'm sure they would love that their material was reaching new audiences. They were "crossing over" just as the Supremes were.
    Liner note writers aren't paid royalties, they get a fee for writing the notes. And given how superficial the liner notes are on these 60s albums [[they're not exactly detailed and annotated) and that they were used to market the album, I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Motown approach reps of Gene Kelly, Dinah Shore and Jules Styne and said, we're going to write the promo copy/liner notes for the back cover of the latest Supremes album, you can sign your name at the bottom and you'll get a check for x amount. No doubt they must have liked the Supremes, but I do wonder if those comments were actually written by them or not, or if it was just a business arrangement? Maybe someone here might know how valid these liner notes were.

Its now on Itunes and ready to buy.... Grab a copy!

Loving the booklet! Worth the cost alone!

supremester Guest
    Dear Andy & George:
    As promised, I bought Funny Girl when I got home from Chicago tonight. With all due respect, I wasn't expecting much as this album never worked for me..........BUT IT DOES NOW! OMG - you took a record that made me cringe and turned it into a great cohesive effort worthy of both DR&TS and Funny Girl AND the great Jule Styne. With all the catch up I'm doing after being gone a week, I haven't had time just to sit back and listen start to finish, but, I have heard most or all of it in sections and it's beyond wonderful. It's almost like I have a new Ross album. I appreciate her vocals so much more - Mary & Cindy are a very welcome change..........I'm knocked out!
    THANK YOU BOTH SO VERY VERY MUCH!

Breaking News
    BWW MUSIC NEWS Articles

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunes

May 4

12:05 AM

👤by Pat Cerasaro

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunesIconic pop music group The Supremes, led by Diana Ross, recorded a tribute album to hit Broadway Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical FUNNY GIRL titled DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL and the recording is now available for the very first time on iTunes.

Ross and company lend their smooth, syncopated sound to such showstopping musical theatre standards as "Don't Rain On My Parade", "I'm The Greatest Star", "People", "Cornet Man", "Funny Girl" and more.

Of note, the new release also contains a slew of bonus tracks, as well, including previously unreleased versions of "The Music That Makes Me Dance", "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and more from the classic score.

Additionally, the new release also contains Diana Ross & The Supremes performing a bilingual English/French version of the Fanny Brice classic "My Man".

Order DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL on iTunes here.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Breaking News
    BWW MUSIC NEWS Articles

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunes

May 4

12:05 AM

by Pat Cerasaro

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunesIconic pop music group The Supremes, led by Diana Ross, recorded a tribute album to hit Broadway Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical FUNNY GIRL titled DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL and the recording is now available for the very first time on iTunes.

Ross and company lend their smooth, syncopated sound to such showstopping musical theatre standards as "Don't Rain On My Parade", "I'm The Greatest Star", "People", "Cornet Man", "Funny Girl" and more.

Of note, the new release also contains a slew of bonus tracks, as well, including previously unreleased versions of "The Music That Makes Me Dance", "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and more from the classic score.

Additionally, the new release also contains Diana Ross & The Supremes performing a bilingual English/French version of the Fanny Brice classic "My Man".

Order DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL on iTunes here.
    If anyone is having trouble printing the booklet, I loaded the files to a flash drive and took it to a local Kinkos. They were able to size and print in CD booklet format, using an appropriate paper stock. The finished product is quite attractive...

I haven't bought this but will soon ~ for the booklet and the alternates. I don't like the music except for I'm the Greatest Star; I'm playing that on You Tube and I can't help but smile; I'm wondering what Marv really feels about Mary prancing around behind Diana singing "she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest", she's the greatest star".

supremester Guest
    LOL!!!

Hehehehehehehe!!!

Cant find it on Amazon anymore!

You mean it's off the chart?

Or you can't see Mary prancing behind Diana singing "she the greatest, the bestest, she's the greatest star?"

Marv can probably locate that one again.

Oh well,i tryed to get into Diana Ross And The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl,didn't like it back in the day,and don't like it today,but it's good to have as a Supreme fan,SORRY

I see that BradSupremes got a credit in the booklet! Good job Brad.

I bought it last night.

If i had to pick a Diana Ross and The Supremes album that i didn't like,Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl would be it,it's really a Diana Ross solo album,i didn't like it then,and i don't like it now,SORRY lol

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    If i had to pick a Diana Ross and The Supremes album that i didn't like,Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl would be it,it's really a Diana Ross solo album,i didn't like it then,and i don't like it now,SORRY lol
    Why are you sorry dear Redhot. If you dont like it you dont like it and you wrote on Monday that you dont like it so we get it that you dont like it. Its all cool lol.

Please Stay positive.

Roberta

supremester Guest
    What if you didn't have to pick one at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post

smark21 Guest
    Do you dislike because it's essentially a "Diana Ross solo album" or because you don't like show tunes, or the music from Funny Girl? That's why I didn't buy as I don't care much for the songs from that show.

The songs never excited me much. Not People especially. And Barbra Streisand isn't much of a favourite of mine either.

But Redhot, you should go to ITunes and listen to the samples; there are alternate takes and new mixes and on some of them, you definitely can hear Mary and Cindy in a much bigger way than ever before. You can identify them, hear them.

I'm talking about I'm the Greatest Star in particular.

Have a listen, you might want to buy.

And then there is always the possibility you can consider Marv's views about Mary Wilson cavorting around behind Diana going "she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest, she's the greatest star, she is by far". That is worth a good laugh.

And BradSupremes got a credit in the booklet! Ya, Brad.