[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I got a chance to catch some of the broadcast last night. It was my first time hearing some of these songs. The thing that really got my attention was the orchestration. It was incredible. Also, Diana Ross's vocals were great. The two together makes this a great project.

honest man Guest
    I Agree Funny Girl is a well produced album,though i have n't purchased download yet,i have my original CDR if i feel like hearing Mary singing Diana is the GREATEST STAR etc,will see if we get physical release then buy it,it deserves a cd production much more than A BIT OF LIVERPOOL ,Now that is my least fave DRATS release.Cheers.

I recently came across this hard to find lyric booklet for Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl. That this publication would be prepared, would indicate that the hope was that this project would sell. I've also included some never seen before photos of the women at Expo '67 taken at the time of this release. Enjoy!Name:  P1060042.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  38.9 KBName:  P1060045.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  44.2 KB

Excellent pictures Mark! You do come up with some really good and rare ones.

Thanks for sharing...so you have the songbook itself? If so, what it's like on the inside? Are there many photos?

Thanks for the positive comment marv2. Ejluther, I obtained this songbook during my recent stay in Los Angeles as part of a "thanks" for helping out sort out a late pal's huge Diana Ross & The Supremes lifetime collection. The only pictures are on the page posted above. The back cover features the same photos as on the album cover jacket.

Of course the music and lyrics for the songs from the recording are included.

Maybe this is the place to ask for advice. My late friend posted beautiful photos of The Supremes on eBay for sale as he had obtained negatives, and in some cases, original ones. Some time back he obtained three large scrapbooks of personal photos of Diana Ross from the early years of her first marriage, photos of her children as babies, family holidays, etc. which came from an auction for unclaimed items from a long forgotten storage unit when Diana left L.A. for the east coast decades ago.

I'm at a loss as to what to suggest to the person currently in possession of these items. Would it be tacky to approach the Ross family in this matter. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Thanks for the positive comment marv2. Ejluther, I obtained this songbook during my recent stay in Los Angeles as part of a "thanks" for helping out sort out a late pal's huge Diana Ross & The Supremes lifetime collection. The only pictures are on the page posted above. The back cover features the same photos as on the album cover jacket.

Of course the music and lyrics for the songs from the recording are included.

Maybe this is the place to ask for advice. My late friend posted beautiful photos of The Supremes on eBay for sale as he had obtained negatives, and in some cases, original ones. Some time back he obtained three large scrapbooks of personal photos of Diana Ross from the early years of her first marriage, photos of her children as babies, family holidays, etc. which came from an auction for unclaimed items from a long forgotten storage unit when Diana left L.A. for the east coast decades ago.

I'm at a loss as to what to suggest to the person currently in possession of these items. Would it be tacky to approach the Ross family in this matter. Suggestions?

You should definitely contact Diane first and give her the opportunity of first refusal. In your initial contact, be sure to mention exactly what you shared with us here. Give her one month minimum to respond to you.

Marv

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You should definitely contact Diane first and give her the opportunity of first refusal. In your initial contact, be sure to mention exactly what you shared with us here. Give her one month minimum to respond to you.

Marv
    I reckon you could help matters more quickly,could you ring Mary or Diana and ask the question,you seem to know them so well.Im sure they would drop everything just to respond to you.Go on do the right thing.

Hmm, no answer Honest Man. On phone, too busy, I'm sure.

But, for anyone who actually wants to hear Mary & Cindy sing, the alternate cuts of I'm the Greatest Star, particularly the one from TCB, definitely highlight them.

supremester Guest
    Thanks - I'm so not a tekkie

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I believe the booklet has 40 pictures; it's not 40 pages.

supremester Guest
    The TCB track is sensational. I agree with Jule Styne: The DMC versions, as a whole, are better than the original release. I'm so glad they did this - I appreciate it so much more - including Miss Ross' vocals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Hmm, no answer Honest Man. On phone, too busy, I'm sure.

But, for anyone who actually wants to hear Mary & Cindy sing, the alternate cuts of I'm the Greatest Star, particularly the one from TCB, definitely highlight them.

Thank you for sharing this great piece of DRATS memorabilia, R. Mark.

This would have made a nice companion piece with the physical release of "Funny Girl"; much like the similar booklet included with "More Hits."

smark21 Guest
    In the end, how many people bought the album primarily for the booklet and pictures, rather than the songs?

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    In the end, how many people bought the album primarily for the booklet and pictures, rather than the songs?
    I actually did. I loved the Broadway show and film with Streisand and was anxious to hear Ross's spin on things. In many ways, it was my first inclination that she was bound for solo stardom. I'm really glad we got the new mixes with Mary and Cindy!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Me mostly. The music generally sucks except for Greatest Star; I don't know the movie and I don't enjoy Barbra Streisand.

I like hearing Cindy and Mary, especially Cindy, who was so under featured, behind Diana.

And I still love considering Marv's feelings over Mary cavorting behind Diana singing she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest STAR!

Lulu Guest
    Me mostly. The music generally sucks except for Greatest Star; I don't know the movie and I don't enjoy Barbra Streisand.

I like hearing Cindy and Mary, especially Cindy, who was so under featured, behind Diana.

And I still love considering Marv's feelings over Mary cavorting behind Diana singing she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest STAR!
    Funny Girl is quintessential Broadway but it's also quintessential Streisand so if you're not a fan, you wouldn't enjoy it. Diana's vocals on the album are superb IMHO regardless of how you feel about the material. As for your last comment, it's a fact [[at least in the group and at Motown) so I'm not sure why anyone would need to argue it.

You don't have to be a theatre lover to know that Julie Styne and Bob Merrill wrote one of the best scores for a Broadway Show. I don't share your opinion that it generally sucks. I was not lucky enough to see the Broadway Production - only a dinner theater version. But there is talk that there will finally be a revival on Broadway and I am looking forward to it.
    I loved the movie and its sequel, FUNNY LADY.

Even though you think the music generally sucks, check out this video super cut of DONT RAIN ON MY PARADE. Whoever put it together did an excellent editing job and everyone from Barbra to Bea Arthur is singing in the cut. [[Everyone but Diana)

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york...aign=29may2014

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    You don't have to be a theatre lover to know that Julie Styne and Bob Merrill wrote one of the best scores for a Broadway Show. I don't share your opinion that it generally sucks. I was not lucky enough to see the Broadway Production - only a dinner theater version. But there is talk that there will finally be a revival on Broadway and I am looking forward to it.

Even though you think the music generally sucks, check out this video super cut of DONT RAIN ON MY PARADE. Whoever put it together did an excellent editing job and everyone from Barbra to Bea Arthur is singing in the cut. [[Everyone but Diana)

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york...aign=29may2014

Mmmmmm...Lea Michele as "Fanny"??? [INSERT ROOM FOR SOON TO BE POSTED "WHO'S LEA MICHELE" REPLY]

Still NOT available in the UK..still NO reply from Universal/Motown about WHEN!!

What a con! No physical cd.. now a download only available in the USA...

Clearly bootlegging/illegal downloads is the way forward then

VERY DISSAPOINTED

I did watch the video Milven.

I have a bias for sure; it's bad; it's even a racist bias; but I am not really keen on white women trying to belt out songs. I'm not keen on how Patti Labelle does it either. I will take Diana, Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston much before Barbra Streisand.

If I saw the movie I'm sure I'd like the music more and I appreciate it was very popular and that Barbra Streisand outsold Diana and Aretha. Just not my first choice in music.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Still NOT available in the UK..still NO reply from Universal/Motown about WHEN!!

What a con! No physical cd.. now a download only available in the USA...

Clearly bootlegging/illegal downloads is the way forward then

VERY DISSAPOINTED
    I can just about understand why physical product used to be issued around the world at different times - as you have to ship the stuff [[though of course its probably nothing to do with transportation). But digital downloads - come on - a million people could download the same product across the globe at exactly the same time.

So why oh why is there a delay between countries?

As Mwmr says, the longer the delay - the more likely people are going to source an illegal upload and not bother paying for it. Universal should think seriously about that if they are going to give us download only releases.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I must disagree with you in that I do not think, by any stretch of the imagination, it is one of the best scores. No matter who is performing it, I've never liked the music. Of course I purchased the Supremes' version for posterity's sake, but I've given it one listen and one listen only. I find the music rather corny and obnoxious. Diana, of course, sounds wonderful, as does Mary, Cindy, and the orchestra. However, this is one of those projects that still boggles my mind as to why Motown [[Gordy) chose to take on such an endeavor.

I have already seen one outlet that is offering the Expanded "Funny Girl" on bootleg CD.

just a thought, first love the sound of the cd and dianas vocals, glad they have mary and cindy. if u have dianas scrapbooks with her family photos I would also try and connect with one of her children. doesn't her youngest daughter have a childrens store? it may have contact info and both her other daughters are on facebook.

I did watch the video Milven.

I have a bias for sure; it's bad; it's even a racist bias; but I am not really keen on white women trying to belt out songs.....
    Well then, I guess you never bought the Ethel Merman Disco Album

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I must disagree with you in that I do not think, by any stretch of the imagination, it is one of the best scores. No matter who is performing it, I've never liked the music. Of course I purchased the Supremes' version for posterity's sake, but I've given it one listen and one listen only. I find the music rather corny and obnoxious. Diana, of course, sounds wonderful, as does Mary, Cindy, and the orchestra. However, this is one of those projects that still boggles my mind as to why Motown [[Gordy) chose to take on such an endeavor.
    It's all a matter of opinion. I got the Supremes LP because I am a fan and a completest, but I never listen to it. After seeing the Funny Girl movie, I listened to the soundtrack dozens of times. My favorite scores of Broadways shows are RAGTIME, WEST SIDE STORY, GYPSY, HELLO DOLLY [[and most of the other Jerry Herman Scores - especially LA CAGE) & FUNNY GIRL.

There's No Business Like Show Business is a much better song, to me, than anything on Funny Girl other than I'm the Greatest Star. It's the music/songs I don't care for. But I do like the new versions with Mary and Cindy and agree with Jule that the sound was better with Mary and Cindy.

supremester Guest
    I bought this album because I love The Merm - not this project necessarily, but anyone that made Cole Porter glassey-eyed is good enough for me. Her performance in Mad Mad World is brilliant. I love the Funny Girl score, Mame, Gypsy, Call Me Madam, South Pacific Little Shop Of Horrors - lots of them. I was thrilled that DR&TS did so many standards and Ross handled them so well. Dinah Shore was right: she can do it all! As far as the notebooks go, I'm sure you could get through to her kids or I could get a word to her. She'd love getting those and probably be eternally grateful.

It's now available on itunes uk. Hurrah!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    It's now available on itunes uk. Hurrah!
    So how do you Brits like the release?

Hi Glenpwood,

New member, as a fan of all The Supremes and being based in Australia I have had to collect any & all of the back catalogue by hook or by crook. I'm more than happy to have this rarity in any form. That said it is only this month that Aussie iTunes has released many of the original LPs & most especially the Seventies Supremes catalogue including the super rare Hip-O-Select Box Sets [[which while I would love to own, on the secondary market can cost up to $1000.00).

I was so excited to be able to download these, the Four Tops & Supremes records, and finally the 70s Anthology all for around $120.00 meaning I can create a playlist of the Promises Kept sessions and have all the Seventies output at a fraction of the price.

I also love the special expanded re-issues [[which I also own) but for me it more about finally owning and hearing the original concepts & music than the frills & furbelows of packaging.

After years of not being able to listen to these records beyond having owned them originally on vinyl and not hearing some of these records since that time [[and in some cases not at all) I'll take these releases in whatever form they come.

Regards,

Julius.

I know that most are either happy with iTunes or insist on a physical cd [[and there's nothing wrong with either of those preferences), but just in case someone else cares...

The expanded version of "Funny Girl", including the pdf booklet, is now available as a lossless download [[cd-quality audio, 16 bit/44.1 kHz) from Qobuz. Perhaps it will also show up on Pono soon.

Here's the link [[might not work for everyone, depending on where you live):
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/dia.../0060253784274
    Last edited by calvin; 03-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.