[REMOVE ADS]

Tina Turner! - Was She Pop? Rock? or Soul?

Recently I've been revisiting some of Tina Turner's most popular work. Like her or not, she [[along with Whitney Houston, Madonna..) ruled the 80's and early 90's as a solo artist. What struck me was how to exactly categorize her music. She seemed to be able to float between Pop, Rock and Soul with ease and do a good job at all of them! For example:

POP

"Two People"

Then she could....

ROCK!

"Better Be Good to Me"

....and of course Tina was full of......

SOUL!

"Let's Stay Together"

All of the above. All of those genres - be it rock, R&B, or soul - fall into the "pop" or "popular" music genre. Soul, as I see it, isn't a genre, but it's what you put into the music. While songs like "River Deep" or "Proud Mary" are definitely in the vein of the rock genre, and her voice is very "rock-y," there's a whole lot of soul she puts into her music!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    All of the above. All of those genres - be it rock, R&B, or soul - fall into the "pop" or "popular" music genre. Soul, as I see it, isn't a genre, but it's what you put into the music. While songs like "River Deep" or "Proud Mary" are definitely in the vein of the rock genre, and her voice is very "rock-y," there's a whole lot of soul she puts into her music!
    Good answer. I agree

I love Tina, been a fan since early 60's.I was listening to a mid-60's LIVE LP the other night and what a stark difference to her later LIVE recordings.She talked real southern soul & then ofcourse she now has a European accent.

I think the would classify herself as rock.

Lulu Guest
    I actually prefer Tina's recordings with Ike. To me, they stand up better over time. Some of the pop songs she did in the 80s sound a little dated with the synthesizers, etc. I would categorize her work with Ike as Soul/Rhythm & Blues even on the rock covers which were infused with LOTS of soul!

I guess she was all of the above at certain times in her career. But her solo career left me quite cold. Her music started to like the soundtrack to make up commercials.

I would say multiple genres also. One of her songs that I've never seen brought up for discussion is "Working Together" that is my favorite song by her. Don't know if Ike was around then.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I would say multiple genres also. One of her songs that I've never seen brought up for discussion is "Working Together" that is my favorite song by her. Don't know if Ike was around then.
    Yes. "Workin' Together" was an Ike and Tina Turner song and lifted from the album of the same name.