[REMOVE ADS]

Motown The Musical - Tour Cities Announced

Im hoping to be in Highland park area of Detroit in November for thanksgiving. Maybe ill go up early and catch Motown the Musical at the Fisher.

thanks for the link jobeterob.

Fondly.

Roberta

By pure coincidence I'm going to be in San Francisco while the show is there! I'd prefer to see the show in Seattle while I'm home, will keep checking that page for updates. Thanks for the link!

for those who scoffed when I said a while back, that MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL would be in Detroit, L.A. , all over the country this year, leading up to talks of the movie version [[which will be an international hit), I say, "scoff right back 'atcha!" soon the show will be in London, Paris, Germany, China, Japan.. world conquest for "The Diana Ross Story"!!

supremester Guest
    I forgot about the scoffers, but I remember now. LOL..... awww it's funny. I haven't read Youtube comments in a while and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that those same two losers are at it at full speed - even on Valentine's Day! Maybe that's why they are so obsessed: they have no Valentines. All this time we've been racking our brains trying to figure out why/how anyone would spend hours and hours per week slamming Miss Ross, Berry [[when appropriate, but not when he's saying something nice about "Huh") and Lynda - and it's cuz they literally have nothing else to do. I'm going to enroll them into Friends of The Friendless and I think the next time I'm in Stubbenville Ohio, I'm going to invite one of those poor, lonely boys to dinner! Maybe they have other talents ; )

Friends of the Friendless.....LOL Lucy reference on Soulful Detroit. When I was watching an old episode of All in the Family I saw little goil [[Sally Struthers) walk in with Meathead and she had a Martha and the Vandellas album Dance Party in her hand. I thought about starting a thread to see if anyone saw any Motown records on the TV set or movies. Please dont mention the Big Chill if anyone decides to start a thread I have heard enough about that movie when it comes to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I forgot about the scoffers, but I remember now. LOL..... awww it's funny. I haven't read Youtube comments in a while and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that those same two losers are at it at full speed - even on Valentine's Day! Maybe that's why they are so obsessed: they have no Valentines. All this time we've been racking our brains trying to figure out why/how anyone would spend hours and hours per week slamming Miss Ross, Berry [[when appropriate, but not when he's saying something nice about "Huh") and Lynda - and it's cuz they literally have nothing else to do. I'm going to enroll them into Friends of The Friendless and I think the next time I'm in Stubbenville Ohio, I'm going to invite one of those poor, lonely boys to dinner! Maybe they have other talents ; )
    What would these other talents be?

The Diana Ross Story..coming soon to a movie theater near you [[disguised as MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL..)

I haven't decided if I'm going to see this or not. I don't want to cause a scene with my cackling when the Diana Ross character exclaims "I'm the luckiest girl in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!" If Berry wrote the dialogue, he's seen far too many musicals from the 30's and 40's.... that's the kind of shit Shirley Temple would say, or Little Orphan Annie.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 02-24-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Just go for the music ~ it'll take you back to another time ~ you'll be sorry you missed it.

I'd love to see it as a film but nowadays it takes the average musical a decade to get its adaptation on the big screen...not like the 70s when they'd turn something out on a dime. I'm all for seeing Motown stories being made into films though, like the Marvin movie that's taking a damn decade to film...

I agree that the movie is a ways away. They are going to milk the Broadway play for all it is worth. It's pulling a million dollars plus a week for every week it runs and they'll spin it all over and run it for quite a while before there is any movie. But the movie is almost inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree that the movie is a ways away. They are going to milk the Broadway play for all it is worth. It's pulling a million dollars plus a week for every week it runs and they'll spin it all over and run it for quite a while before there is any movie. But the movie is almost inevitable.
    So what does this do to your assertion that nobody gives a shit about Motown music anymore? Here's a question, does the program/playbill contain a mention of Hip-o's website and all the classic Motown releases? Probably not, that would be a SMART thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    So what does this do to your assertion that nobody gives a shit about Motown music anymore? Here's a question, does the program/playbill contain a mention of Hip-o's website and all the classic Motown releases? Probably not, that would be a SMART thing to do.
    Thats a real good idea jillfoster. You should mention adding the hipo select website to the touring company playbills to your friend who slip you the video of Motown the musical for you to watch just before it opened on Broadway last year.

Roberta

It is a good idea to make the referral to Hip O ~ so long as the product is still available.

The old time music still sells and is popular ~ those hits! As in the Broadway Musical and the Diana & Berry Story put to those hits. But in terms of getting a hit these days, even for the major artists ~ it isn't going to happen.

And in terms of competing with Justin Bieber and Beyoncé, that's not going to happen either.

This is why none of their "coming" CDS ever actually come and why all the books by the descendants and the former managers are now self published.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thats a real good idea jillfoster. You should mention adding the hipo select website to the touring company playbills to your friend who slip you the video of Motown the musical for you to watch just before it opened on Broadway last year.

Roberta
    Thank you, I will mention it to him. Cross promotion is always a good thing.

I offered the cross promotion idea here months ago, as many of you remember.. there seems to be such a disconnect with the folks at the label these days... when the success of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL should be energizing them more than ever..such is life, I suppose..

Last 52 Weeks
    $68,210,736
    $73,551,230 $114.37 596000
    625664 393
    23 95.26 %
    Cumulative
    $70,255,950
    $75,945,290 $113.72
    $250.00 617106
    646174 393
    37 95.50 %

It has grossed $75 Million so far on Broadway!

Dear Friends and fellow fans. Run, do not walk, to see this. I saw it last weekend and was very very knocked out. As a member of this Forum, I did not expect to learn anything new, as my wife and daughter did. But was amazed at how well the show was put together. The thing that I will remember most is a busload of teenagers/young adults who seemed to enjoy the show, excitedly leaving the theater. The other thing is that if you are a casual fan of the music, or not much of a fan at all, the performances were stellar. I wish I would have thought to flash my SDF/Motown Forum Card while there, it would been nice to hook up with one of my fellow Forum Members.

This has made a lot of money for some people, opened eyes to some new talent, returned some glory to all Motown connected singers, and returned Berry & Diana to the spotlight.

"Motown the Musical" | Talks At Google

Great video; puts it into good perspective.

Chicago native Allison Semmes stars as Diana Ross in 'Motown the Musical'
    Allison Semmes
    Allison Semmes plays Diana Ross in the Chicago production of 'Motown the Musical." [[April 14, 2014)

By Julia Borcherts @Julia Borcherts For RedEye
    12:00 a.m. CDT, April 14, 2014

Chicago native Allison Semmes is a classical singer by training—she has a bachelor's degree in opera from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign—but she grew up with Motown in the house. "That was the popular music of [my parents'] time," she said. "That was like their Beyonce."

Now, Semmes, who grew up in Hyde Park, returns to Chicago to star as Diana Ross in the national tour of "Motown the Musical," which kicks off with a three-month run at the Oriental Theatre. Based on Motown founder Berry Gordy's autobiography, the production—which celebrated its one-year anniversary on Broadway April 14—explores the romance between Gordy and Ross through the rise of the hugely influential Detroit record label that launched the careers of Smokey Robinson, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and, of course, Ross. More than 50 iconic songs from the label—aptly nicknamed Hitsville USA—are featured.

In the Broadway production, Semmes originated the role of The Supremes' backup singer Florence Ballard after having worked as an understudy and swing in "The Book of Mormon" and touring with "The Color Purple." We called her during rehearsals to find out more.

'Motown the Musical'
    Go: 7:30 p.m. April 22-July 13 at the Oriental Theatre, 24 W. Randolph St.
    Tickets: $27-$125. 800-775-2000; broadwayinchicago.com

Music is in her blood: When my mother was growing up, her father pressed records. She said that her parents would invite musicians over to play in their basement where they had, like, a bar. So just from that, it trickled down when I was born [laughs] and I kept it going.

Her own favorite Motown artists: I love The Temptations; I'm just a sucker for harmony. And then, oh my God, the choreography was so smooth and—for lack of a better word—tempting. [Laughs.] And of course, Diana Ross. She had such a presence and style and sass about her.

Her costumes: Those gowns are amazing! … The intricacy of all the beading ... and how they catch the light on-stage ... You carry yourself differently when you have such stunning clothes on. And I love that we go through the '80s, so you get the best of each decade.

One thing she'd like to ask Diana Ross: 'What do you like to do when you're not on stage?' [Laughs.] She seems like such a vibrant, joyful person. Other than music, what is it that makes her excited about life? Is it tap dancing or, I don't know, crocheting? [Laughs.]

Her biggest challenge playing a living legend: I was a little nervous about whether people would say, 'Oh, she doesn't look like Diana Ross.' But at the same time, that's not the point. It's not impersonation, but it's moreso capturing that spirit and the essence of the character. So I go back to the things that I worked on in rehearsal that bring out her essence as opposed to being a spitting image. 'Cause there's only one Diana Ross.

How she shifted from playing Florence Ballard on Broadway to playing Diana Ross in the national tour: Mainly it's just knowing the story of each of the characters. I was familiar with Florence, but I didn't really know her story. I know what happens to her within the context of the show, but as soon as I got the role for Florence, I just studied the person through books. And especially catching their performances on YouTube. You can see the dynamics. With Diana, I had to study her movement and read her autobiography—'cause all of that influences everything. I watched some of her movies and interviews to see how she acts and speaks.

How her experience in "The Book of Mormon" helped her adjust: I was a swing, so I had to cover so many different characters. It was a fun challenge to keep them separate—to really get the intricacies of each one—and not make them all one person just because I'm playing them [all].

She geeked out about opening for Janelle Monae at the April 6 Choose Chicago event: When we stepped on the stage, it literally looked like a sea of people—there was over 5,000 people there. And at the end when we went out for bows, this energy and life and love rushed over me and it was like, 'This is what the icons feel.' It just gave me chills. I was on a high that whole night. And then afterward, we're walking through the crowd and people are shaking our hands and congratulating us and telling us that they'll come see the show.

Watching Janelle Monae perform: There's something timeless about her. She's not just a singer, but such a performer and crosses so many boundaries. I don't feel like she's directed to one specific crowd. [Laughs.] I was dancing with an older gentleman with white hair and we were both just twisting and bumping together, dancing to the music.

Where she likes to go now that she's back in town: When it's warm out, I head straight to the lake—Promontory Point and just anywhere on the lakeside. That water is just so gorgeous. I love the lake trails and all the parks. I like to check out the MCA during the summer when they have jazz. I also like the Blues Festival and [I'll go] wherever they have live music—my parents are Lyric Opera subscription holders, so every now and then, they'll surprise me and take me to the opera.

Julia Borcherts is a RedEye special contributor. redeye@tribune.com | @redeyechicago

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
    Read more at http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/lo...b3pAyetexgD.99

smark21 Guest
    ^^^Talk about irony!

Aww man! I just saw the tour dates; they won't be in the South until next summer. I might be deployed again by then.