[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    smark21 Guest
    I agree the gowns for the Sullivan performance of Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart was all wrong. However for that appearance they segue from Itchin' to More, a song more appropriate for those gowns. Too bad they were performed as separate sequences--for Itchin' they could have worn mini skirts and go go boots--Mary and Flo could have done some pelvic thrusts and tittie shakes and all three could have done some synchronized [[though tasteful) bumping and grinding during the "Go Mary" part of the song.

apllogy to jobete

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I am not saying mary is not thr but flo upper register is coming in louder. Mary and flo created some great backgrounds, but flo stands out here, like she did on many supremes tracks one in particular is penny pencher, and another is long gone lover, and you cant do that.
    Jobete I apologize I did not know u were talking about t trsck on t supremes anthology version 3 w t extended mix where t bkg, s were altered

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    To me Buttered Popcorn was their most sexual song until Early Morning Love in the mid 70s. That song, via metaphor, is about a boyfriend who loves go down on his girl, perhaps to the exclusion of any other sexual act.
    And here was me thinking that Flo was concerned about her boyfriend's diet as he was only eating confectionaries such as this one .....

http://candyhero.com/jelly-belly-but...FaQfwwodR24ABg

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I agree the gowns for the Sullivan performance of Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart was all wrong. However for that appearance they segue from Itchin' to More, a song more appropriate for those gowns. Too bad they were performed as separate sequences--for Itchin' they could have worn mini skirts and go go boots--Mary and Flo could have done some pelvic thrusts and tittie shakes and all three could have done some synchronized [[though tasteful) bumping and grinding during the "Go Mary" part of the song.
    Didn't care for this performance when it originally aired and still don't. It's too screechy and frenetic. There needed to be more bass. The choreography was lame. Maybe Mary and Flo should have been playing their kazoos. It was just all wrong. The gowns were beautiful and fit better with their performance of "More" that followed.

Remember this was only their fourth appearance on Sullivan. They were still new to Ed's core audience. Their supper-club attire helped establish their identity.

In 1964 they only did one song CSAM, same in 1965 when they did "You're Nobody...".

In 1966 they appeared four times with two numbers each, but one segment, one gown.

It wasn't until 1967 with the "Happening" and "Millie, Rose and Mame" that they started doing costume changes with each number whenever they appeared on Sullivan. This worked in that The Supremes were able to display their versatility [[and wardrobe), and by having them come back for another segment Ed could prevent his audience from switching the channel.

I enjoyed the performance a lot...they could have sung LILAIIMY underwater with scuba gear and I would have loved it. The gowns? Beautiful! Diana's wig? I was hot for any Motown songstress in a flip. It may have something to do with my crush on Patty Duke at the time.

When ITCHING made it to movie screens--

in the film SLAVES OF NEW YORK [[1989).

Just in case you've never seen this clip. Parody, satire, and yet something very essentially Ross.

Thanks to Charles Lowe for this YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFs1cRxEQQc

[["No ITCHING thread would be complete without it."
    -- Alright, says me.)

I love that clip - thanks for posting it!

My pleasure, EJ. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thought I'd post this one, too:

No matter what you think of the RTL tour it's great to hear the song live!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    When ITCHING made it to movie screens--

in the film SLAVES OF NEW YORK [[1989).

Just in case you've never seen this clip. Parody, satire, and yet something very essentially Ross.

Thanks to Charles Lowe for this YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFs1cRxEQQc

[["No ITCHING thread would be complete without it."
    -- Alright, says me.)
    That was a great clip! As is the RTL one.

One more:
    http://vbox7.com/play:ab6f8fc8&al=2&vid=542980
    I know Diana got some criticism for choosing this as a Supremes song to sing on DIVAS but I thought it was a good choice as it was underperformed back in the day...
    Last edited by ejluther; 02-23-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That was a great clip! As is the RTL one.
    Glad you liked it, Jobeterob. The RTL version is a great take on the song, too. Thanks for posting, EJ.

supremester Guest
    Thanks for all the Itching clips - it's such a cool song. Miss Ross used it a lot in the 80's - I think until The Force tour. Everytime I see RTL clips, I'm amazed at how far apart they all were. Evidently it worked live as everyone loved it, but on TV, it looks odd and Miss Ross is running around trying to get to everyone.

no matter what you think about the RTL tour, that is a powerhouse version of "love is like an itchin' in my heart"!

I like this performance.

Very cool. Had forgotten all about this fun performance. Thanks very much for posting it, Skooldem.

I like John's version the best.

Looks like that suit got painted on her. And for a moment I wondered what she'd done with that microphone and what all was itching.