[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin book coming out

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Who is the woman on the front cover that David is with, his first wife Sandra? I hope that his second wife Joy and his girlfriend Genna are given equal opportunity.

I'm not sure this will be very successful; this needed tom be coming out in the 80's or 90's; it's pretty late in the day. It will be picked up by us "old farts" but not sure about any other demographic.

Wonder if it will be a physical book?
    Last edited by jobeterob; 02-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.

LOL.

How coincidental. One week later on 12/27/1964, the Supremes made their first of 16 appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show. Things were happening in December of 1964, weren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm not sure this will be very successful; this needed tom be coming out in the 80's or 90's; it's pretty late in the day. It will be picked up by us "old farts" but not sure about any other demographic.

None of what you said even makes sense! You don't even need to ask the question...."why would a teenager of today or a college aged person want to buy this book"! No publishing house in it's right mind would even think of marketing it to that segment of the population!

Also, if you knew anything about Marketing and demographics, you would stop making these tremendously stupid comments like this on a regular basis. But because I believe you are sincere in your ignorance. The majority of the U.S. population is over the age of 30 and weighted now very heavily to being 40 years old and older. It is still a good time to sell a book on David Ruffin and I can imagine that more young people under the age of 30 would know who David Ruffin is just from seeing the "Temptations" movie on cable. It was in heavy rotation on VH-1 a few years ago.

I'd like to read one on Eddie Kendricks and others.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

LOL.
    Yeah, now what did he mean by that? LOL!!!!

I like the visuals on the website. I noticed that Willie Ford of the Dramatics was involved in this project. I also think it is wonderful that they will be using this [[in conjunction with other events) to commerate the 50th Anniversary of the Temptations first Worldwide success [["My Girl") and they will be celebrating this milestone in Detroit! I want a copy of it when it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    How coincidental. One week later on 12/27/1964, the Supremes made their first of 16 appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show. Things were happening in December of 1964, weren't they?
    Oh yeah. All these historical events were taking place but at the time we did not know that they would someday be viewed as such. We were too busy getting ready for Christmas! LOL!

Who is the author? Relation of David's?

Now, Marv, I'm glad to hear you think I'm stupid and ignorant ~ so we are on equal footing; several of us think you are ignorant, rude and mean spirited.

How come you've cut your Diane comments back? Someone told you to "can it" and you had to listen?

I'll lay you $20 that this is either a digital book or a self published job.

I'll lay you $20 that this is either a digital book or a self published job.
    Considering the site is owned by "the estate of David Ruffin and Ruffin Enterprises, LLC and is maintained by the David Ruffin family" and not a publisher I would be inclined to agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were just digitally released as well. A self-published book to a niche audience, it's wise to go digital only or a very limited physical distribution to minimize the upfront costs.

Being a best seller is not the ultimate goal to some people, being a big fish in a small pond is ok with many, and getting their side of the story out is more important to them. it's called a "Labor of love" And you put far too much weight in the importance of what the "masses" want. Jut today it came to light through polling research that 25 percent of the american population doesn't know that the earth revolves around the sun. So keep this in perspective when you act like big sales means automatic quality.

Good points Mary and Jill! How can anyone disagree with that? It's just the dough head Marv that can't reason and accept reality ~ but you guys are right on.

"This can't be true that 25% don't know that fact about the earth and the sun?"
    Last edited by jobeterob; 02-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.

I love the website and being a huge David Ruffin fan the website is a welcome addition. But come on, they're selling funeral footage? Really? Now that's messed up.

On another note - 4 of David's albums just popped up on Spotify yesterday. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that they were reissued by Real Gone music or maybe it has something to do with the Japanese reissues, but the quality is very, very good. Now if they could only put Volume 2 of his solo recordings on Spotify...

My son 35 years young is a huge huge David Ruffin
    and Temptations fan,
    so young people know who DAVID is.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post
    I love the website and being a huge David Ruffin fan the website is a welcome addition. But come on, they're selling funeral footage? Really? Now that's messed up.
    Is it still there? I didn't see it.

The Ruffin daughters and ex-wife are calling themselves the "first family of soul"...ummmmm no.

Apparently they are angling for a reality show too.

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    Is it still there? I didn't see it.

The Ruffin daughters and ex-wife are calling themselves the "first family of soul"...ummmmm no.

Apparently they are angling for a reality show too.
    http://davidruffin.net/drtf/store/products/

It's there but it's not available yet. It says 2 hours. I love David, but why would any fan buy footage from his funeral? That's very distasteful.

Certainly not buying this one. If it's made available to public libraries I'll read it but otherwise I'll save my dough..

David Ruffin: The Man Behind the Glasses was supposed to be published mid-summer 2014. Has anyone seen or purchased a copy?

It appears a lot of work has gone into this book so let's hope it is coming out soon.

What a minute,hold the phone,forget all this david ruffin stuff......the earth revolves around the sun???now you tell me!!!

UPDATE:

I had an email from Cheryl Ruffin advising the following: The book is still in progress, it will be out this year. I will send out notices.

For your information.

UPDATE:

I had an email from Cheryl Ruffin advising the following: The book is still in progress, it will be out this year. I will send out notices.

For your information.
    I find it interesting that the book is "coming out in Summer, 2014", yet in January, 2015, it is "still in progress." Is this all just a dream? Or maybe it'll come out the same time as Cindy Birdsong's book.

Another thing, if you poke around the site, a lot of things are "coming soon" and several links are dead. I don't anticipate any David Ruffin book any time soon.

UPDATE:

For your information.
    Uh Oh !! I wonder if this will be released on the same day as Mary's forthcoming CD

I am patiently awaiting the book that is promised this year. Has ANYONE
    heard anything as to when in 2015 this might be published?

I now have Richard Streets book and it is very interesting to read his view on things.

Seriously.....do you think theres enough "new" news about David that would warrant shelling out $25 or so.I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyKen View Post
    Seriously.....do you think theres enough "new" news about David that would warrant shelling out $25 or so.I think not.
    ... maybe some new details of Florence Ballard's royalties; that always gets 'em going ...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyKen View Post
    For a mere $25 or so, it will be worthwhile hopefully for the pictures alone. I am sure that there will be a lot of never before seen pictures that have never appeared in print anywhere.

"The First Family of Soul" ??? That's interesting since that title belonged to the Burke Family, THE FIVE STAIRSTEPS, since 1965. They are and were crowne d "The First Family of Soul". You cannot just claimed someone else's established title of 50 years, lol..........

This book will obviously be told from one point of view, you won't have input from other wives, girlfriends, or children of his. If you want to know his first family's opinions then it should be a good read for you but if you want a full rounded picture with the others being interviewed I seriously doubt you find that here. Just my humble objective opinion, I have no dog in this fight, just an obvious observation.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    "The First Family of Soul" ??? That's interesting since that title belonged to the Burke Family, THE FIVE STAIRSTEPS, since 1965. They are and were crowne d "The First Family of Soul". You cannot just claimed someone else's established title of 50 years, lol..........

This book will obviously be told from one point of view, you won't have input from other wives, girlfriends, or children of his. If you want to know his first family's opinions then it should be a good read for you but if you want a full rounded picture with the others being interviewed I seriously doubt you find that here. Just my humble objective opinion, I have no dog in this fight, just an obvious observation.

S.S.
    I couldn't agree more, SS. I said this back in February, 2014:

Who is the woman on the front cover that David is with, his first wife Sandra? I hope that his second wife Joy and his girlfriend Genna are given equal opportunity.

If you want something objective, it's going to have to come from an outside source.