Step Inside My Soul - Rare '70 And Modern Soul CD

During the 1970s, Polydor licensed a large amount of soul and funk material.
  • Masters, originally produced by independent record producers, or indie labels.
  • High quality but very rare tracks, released on Polydor between 1972 and 1980.
  • Soulful and less poppy songs, often relegated to B-sides, originally pressed in minute quantities.

1-CD Digipak [[4-plated) with 32-page booklet, 18 tracks. Total playing time approx. 70 mns.

Of all the major record labels like Atlantic, Epic, Capitol, and Mercury promoting African American music in the 1970s, Polydor did it differently. Polydor licensed in singles, pressing very few copies of each record - mostly as single-sided promos, to gauge demand. As a business model, it didn't work well and very few of their licensed-in records became hits. All the masters on this CD were small, licensed-in productions, with only one act - Creative Source - actually getting a contract with Polydor [[and probably only after the single was released and became a minor hit). Most of the music on this CD is even rarer because most of the tracks are the more soulful, less poppy soul and funk tunes, some of which were relegated to the B-sides of stock copies pressed in tiny quantities. The short-sightedness of Polydor's policies, even relative to other major labels, became clear when some of the acts on this CD like Debbie Taylor and most notably Enchantment, had later success on other major labels. In any case, Polydor's policies led to a large amount of high quality but often very rare soul material, some of which makes its first reappearance on this CD.

Mojoba: Say You Will - The Reason Why: Step Inside My World - Crystal Clear: Stay With Me - Vaneese & Carolyn: The Goodbye Song - The Checkmates Ltd: All Alone By The Telephone - Creative Source: Pass The Feelin’ On - Alavarez: Sooner Or Later - Pete Warner: I Just Want To Spend My Life With You - Enchantment: Call On Me - Tyrone Thomas: You’re Hardly Gone - New World: We’re Gonna Make It - Moorish Vanguard: Sunshine Of Your Love - Sam Dees: Say Yeah - Ernie Shelby: Right Here Where You Left Me - J.J. Williams: Love Market - Debbie Taylor: I’ve Learned To Do Without You - Jules Johnson & The Dynamics: I Just Want To Thank You - Prime Cut: I’m So Glad

001 Say You- Will Mojoba
002 Step Inside My World- The Reason Why
003 Stay With Me- Crystal Clear
004 The Goodbye Song- Vaneese & Carolyn
005 All Alone By The Telephone- Checkmates Ltd.
006 Pass The Feelin’ On- Creative Source
007 Sooner Or Later- Alavarez
008 I Just Want To Spend My Life With You- Warner, Pete
009 Call On Me- Enchantment
010 You’re Hardly Gone- Thomas, Tyrone
011 We’re Gonna Make It- New World
012 Sunshine Of Your Love- Moorish Vanguard
013 Say Yeah- Dees, Sam
014 Right Here Where You Left Me- Shelby, Ernie
015 Williams, JJ- Love Market
016 I’ve Learned To Do Without You -Taylor, Debbie
017 I Just Want To Thank You- Johnson, Jules & The Dynamics