[REMOVE ADS]

Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 3206
    Whenever a regional accent is particularly pronounced [[in real life, or in acting), it hinders understanding on the part of the listener. The intended message is lost, which is an unfortunate waste of time.

Are you saying that BBC newscasters should only talk with a Received English pronunciation. That excludes an awful lot of people. The only accents I have problems with are those of people from Belfast and Glasgow on phone-ins.

It always seems ridiculous to me when people criticise Shakespeare being performed in an American accent, since no one can possibly know what British accents sounded like when the plays were written.

American newscasters speak in what is referred to as a non-regional dialect, where nearly all identifiable infection is eliminated. That way, they can transfer to other stations nationwide without causing attention to themselves for sounding like someone from another, less appreciated area of the country.

And I watch a lot of foreign films and there has been some English and [[especially) Irish films that I have to watch with subtitles. I can honestly say I cannot understand a single sentence. "Sexy Beast" and "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" are two great examples. I feel silly to think that maybe they cannot understand me, either.

144man, yes, I do think it is preferable that BBC newsreaders and main presenters should use Received English pronounciation, i.e. there is a standard set and used, by which most viewers could understand what is being said. If a regional accent is too strong, they should be used elsewhere. But isn't that already the case?

Regional accents can be particularly effective when reporting, as long as the intonation is pleasant. There's a young woman on BBC Breakfast named Steph. Very attractive, and with very clear speech. However, she has what appears to be a Yorkshire accent [[I could be wrong there) which is also of the strident kind. When she's in full flow, she tenses her throat, and then her voice could cut through steel. It's just my own preference, but I just find it unpleasant, but also start to feel bad simply for just feeling that way.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Don'y feel bad. I'm sure he voice is part of what makes her stand out from the pack of attractive reporters who would gladly take her job, so for better or worse, it's part of her personality and a reason why she's presently employed.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 08-05-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Jerry, yes, it is quite understandable that the newscasters are not readily identified as being from a certain region. When it comes to national news, there should be no possibility of subliminal messages indicating a possible bias for or against what is being broadcast. A readily detectable regional accent does send a message that the newscaster is drawing attention to themself as an individual, instead of impartially reading the news.

And you are quite right that some accents from this part of the world are unintelligible. Unfortunately, the immediate assumption can be that this equates with unintelligence.

PS on 'Steph'. Have checked her out. She is Stephanie McGovern, and she's not from Yorkshire at all, but Tyneside. She also presents the business news, but I still have a hard time trying to listen to what she is saying, instead of feeling battered by the actual way she is saying it....LOL

I typically don't make assumptions about intelligence based upon things like accents, social status, or area of origin. Even a high school dropout deserves a chance to be heard until he shows that he's got nothing to say. I want to be respected, regardless of someone else's first impression, so I gladly give others a chance. If they're on television, I just turn them off without another thought and tend not to watch them again.

The earliest BBC national newscaster I remember was Robert Langley who read the news as long ago as the late 60s. He was also from Tyneside, but I had no problem understanding his accent as my mother was a Geordie.

No, I had no problem with Robert 'Bob' Langley as he spoke clear English. He had a regional inflection, which added character, but wasn't too pronounced.

That said, I don't recall him being one of the BBC team who would present the main news. If he did, it might have been as a 'relief', but more likely would have been as a regional newsreader.

Bob Langley was essentially a reporter and TV presenter [[Nationwide, Pebble Mill At One, etc..), not a newsreader. Can you remember John Cole, the BBC political editor,who would comment on news broadcasts,very often from outside of 10, Downing Street? A great character, but his thick Belfast accent would have totally mangled national and international news..

Huw Edwards, currently head of the male BBC newsreaders has, I find, a rather blank facial expression, but his Welsh lilt is held in check, and benefits his broadcasts. If he were to give his speech the full South Wales inflection, it just wouldn't work.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-06-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Bob Langley read the main BBC news for about six months in 1968. [[He might have taken over from Michael Aspel.) I also remember him "Walking the Scottish Border" and possibly the Pennines. He wrote several spy novels, one of which I borrowed from the library.

I don't remember John Cole. I agree with you on Huw Edwards.

If you google John Cole Wiki, you should see a photo. That might jog your memory. He seemed to be around for quite a while.

What do you think of Fiona Bruce?

I recognise John Cole from his photo, but he doesn't seem to have left much of an impression on me.

I like Fiona Bruce, but can't go into any details. My favourite female newscaster is Moira Stuart.

Fiona Bruce is the lead female BBC newsreader. She is very professional. Just occasionally, she will slip out of impartiality with an air of chatting to a neighbour over a garden fence....a knowing look to camera...or will momentarily flick her arms forward and show the palms of her hands, accompanied with a 'well, I ask you!' facial expression..

Yes, Moira Stuart is a favourite. A very mellifluous, contralto speaking voice, although I imagine some with hearing difficulties may find they miss some words. I also appreciate those amused eyes of hers, denoting a readiness to break into a chuckle. Not sure how much news-reading Moira does now, but an excellent, very reassuring radio voice.

I guess one of the most important attributes of a news personality is that she have personality.

There seems to be a lot of people in the media who have 'personality', and want us all to know of it...but very few who possess sufficient gravitas which ensures that what they say is taken seriously. I suppose it must be my age, but it's something I'd not really noticed too much, before...

There is a local crew that does morning news. They do it mostly in a tongue in cheek manner [[except for the most serious news) that basically tries to get the viewers information in a light, almost fun way. Their chemistry is undeniable and they really do their job well, playing off of each other and making little jokes that makes the viewer feel like he's in a three-way conversation.

Well, they have a weekend version of the same broadcast, but the two anchors are not quite as good as the weekday crew. Instead of delivering the news in a light, inviting manner, they both sit there with a disconcerting smirk that makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with these people. The smirk doesn't seem to go away and that has the opposite effect of making you want to leave these people alone, rather than engage in the faux three-way conversation. It's all in how you do it, I guess.

It often depends on the age of the viewer, too. With each decade which passes, younger people who can seem to be just fooling around with issues which are of serious concern to others, can cause a sudden reach for the off button....

I hate it when they put on the grim face to tell you that some monster was arraigned in court this morning for the murder of a three-year old, but instantaneously lighten up and start smiling as they introduce the weather person. If I was related to the three-year old, I'd be offended that they seemed to only be acting for the 45 seconds that it took to tell the story, whereas my grief and anger will last the rest of my life.

I'm not suggesting that they smile as they tell the sad news, I'm suggesting that they don't to a 180 degree turnaround on the very next subject. It just seems so indecent.

I used to feel that way...but really, they're just saying it how it is in general, and not what it should be, or what it undoubtedly is for some, in private.

And, of course, some people tune in for happy and positive news, so they have to be addressed.

It's kind of silly to suppose that you can put a day's worth of "news" into an hour-long telecast. There's probably a day's worth of news on my block, but some news director has the balls to select a handful of items out of a day's worth of interactions in a world of 6 billion people.

I suppose they have to cater for a cross-section of the market, so there has to be a variety of different news topics. A bit like a 'Greatest Hits' selection of the day.

You're right. And in the Information Age, if we want to know what's going on, we have it all at our fingertips. Of course, the amount of information available is beyond the comprehension of Man or his time to discover it.

Well, in truth, shouldn't we be busy making our own news, instead of learning what others have been doing...?

God forbid. I have a great fear of what situation I might have that causes me to be on the news. Years ago, I promised myself that is avoid the embarrassment of having Mom and Dad see me on television with a reporter's mic in my face.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 08-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Now, y'see, you're viewing my remark negatively [[again.....LOL)

I meant making news for yourself and your nearest, which is creative and positive. In other words, we should be keeping our heads down, doing what we enjoy..and be known for doing it. Not [[as so many seem to do) simply watching others, and jeering.

...But not too well-known. I can't understand why polls show that many young people have an overriding desire to be famous. While I have nothing to hide, I would hate to live my life under constant public scrutiny.

Being known for this or that, can still remain a private entity. One's range of interests and abilities can still be quite wide.

With a public image, being 'known'' is often indicative of a narrow range. One might be under constant public scrutiny, but what exactly are these people scrutinising in a public figure? Very often, little or nothing. The public figure conveys as much reality as you or I using our screen names, right here.

Wanting to be famous is a sign of overwhelming insecurity in themselves as individuals. Quietly and steadily getting on with their own lives, making the best of their own talents, would surely make them 'known' to all those with whom they come into contact. That should be all the fame they need. If it isn't, they are not working themselves hard enough, to maximise their own potential.

PS.Just as an afterthought. Has the opportunity to express yourself here on SDF had a beneficial effect on your own self-esteem and sense of personal identity?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-09-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Not me. Posting here has given me a new set of acquaintances with whom I can discuss one of my favorite things. I've had revelatory moments after reading some of my own words here, sometimes boosting my esteem, but just as often breaking it down a bit. All things being equal, it is a new playground for me. Posting here had the same therapeutic benefit of writing in a journal.

And I don't want a public image because society eats its idols. Even those with positive, squeaky clean images are under the microscope. Some journalist or paparazzo will seek to make his legend known by showing the dark side of a beloved figure. They want to strike book deals and to market the million dollar photo of the figure being caught with his pants down. They're insatiable and don't need the truth to get in the way of their pursuit. You can be famous, friend. I'll be in your entourage, silent and unknown, grateful that I don't have my problems exposed to the world.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 08-09-2014 at 12:35 PM.

No, I don't want to be famous. While it would be rewarding to be noted for something of lasting value, I would also wish to go about my days unrecognised.

And being here for four complete years has indeed had a beneficial effect on my own self-esteem, and sense of personal identity. It's been interesting to observe and interact with other members, and has taught me a lot about myself, which was not as clearly specified before.

That's interesting. I only know you virtually, but you're one of my favorite people, especially of those that I only know from the web. I'm hoping that you're also one of your favorite people...

For very many years, I wasn't - and, for a great deal of that time, I wasn't even particularly aware of it.

At this stage in my life, while I find I'm not in love with myself, I do find I am close to myself.

It pays to like yourself. Other people are reassured by personal recommendation, especially when it is unspoken.

I'm still ill art ease when someone compliments me. I don't go out of my way to make folks care for me, but I go out of my way to be the man that I should be. I put myself in other's shoes and wonder what I'd want someone to do in most situations. It just seems right to do it. That affects my level of self-esteem, I think.

I am also ill at ease when getting compliments. I haven't taken any arguments I've had on the Forum personally, but I doubt if any abusive comments I might receive would bother me too much. If I knew a lot of members had put me on "Ignore", that might worry me.

As regards screen persona, there is no difference between how I post here and how I talk to my family and friends. I don't know if posting here has increased my self esteem. What it did do was help get me through a bad period five years ago when I was housebound after falling and breaking my hip.

I'm OK with positive comments about myself which I feel are reasonably accurate. There is a tendency for me to become curious if I feel they are not. That said, it doesn't do to await too much approbation from others, as it indicates there is a strong need for it, which also infers unaddressed emotional security.

I very much enjoy being able to express myself by setting words out by with the use of a keyboard. It allows me just a fraction more time to hold my focus and assemble my thoughts into a logical order, which is not always so easy when speaking to someone in person.

The Word Association thread has also encouraged me to work at speed, instead of dwelling too long before action, which has also been of great benefit.

The greatest benefit of all is that I now have the opportunity to write, at my pace, and in my own style. It feels good.

Indeed. The good thing about writing [[which many Twitter users seem to not understand) is that you can read it, consider it, and change it if you aren't happy with how you worded what you wrote. Unfortunately, by the time you realize you stuck your foot in your mouth when engaging someone socially, you already received a punch in the face or made the person run crying for the exit, wondering how you could have said such a mean thing... Even if you didn't mean to say what they heard.

When in personal conversation, there is pressure to say the right things , be it what one really wants to say, or what one thinks the other wishes to hear.

Then there are all the little tell-tale signs from eyes, mouths, facial expressions, body language....

At least with the written word, there is a good chance the reader will interpret one's words in the way they find most comfortable....

Twitter is the true opiate of the masses. There are things that I can say to my brother or best friends in conversation that will be accepted between us as "guy talk". Nothing heavy, nothing bitter, nothing that is indicative of our feelings about certain things, but definitely stated in a hugely politically incorrect manner. Stuff that would make our employers [[and parents) cringe to know that we chose to joke about.

Well, that's might be okay with three guys in a booth at a pizza restaurant when the music is playing in the background and nobody else is there to hear. With Twitter, people let their guard down and say these horrible things and broadcast them to the entire world. Employers check the social media accounts of their employees now. I know a woman who was fired because she thought that she could rant against her workplace on Facebook with impunity. She was wrong. Choose your words [[and forum in which you use them) very carefully.

I'm only vaguely aware of Twitter and don't use it. Not yet, anyway, but who knows, although I am not anticipating it to happen in the near future. It must work for many, as a method of passing time, seemingly without any real creativity or direction.

I suppose its effectiveness runs on similar lines to one's judgemental ability, and how one chooses their friends. People can still be judged by the company they keep, especially when the conversation no longer remains private, or even when it is just themselves, expressing themselves to anybody - which, in reality, is really nobody in particular.

Nobody in particular. Yet everybody, all the same. The world is watching, reading, and waiting for the "aha" moment that you either say something wonderfully profound or [[most likely) personally devastating. I'm considering joining Twitter because I like conversation and information and it seems that there's plenty of both to be had.

Good. Let me know if you do it.

If, shortly after that, you're not seen around here, I'll send a search party.

And, in the meantime, how is that novel coming along?

I have the first three pages written. I just need to muddle through the introduction before things get exciting. [[I should actually be a couple of chapters into it by now...)I'm going to work on it again this evening or tomorrow. I've got the plot developed and most of the characters figured out. I'm not so keen on the names yet.

OK, so that sounds like some real progress.

For me, the names would be very important. Like central heating run on gas, you still need a spark of electricity to get it going. Names are important. It will seem a steeper, uphill climb for you while the names don't quite gel......

Well, the name of one character in particular. The name has to be symbolic but unforced. I've been searching Latin and Greek translations of certain words to see if I can name the character. I may check Hebrew, Aramaic, or African translations next. If nothing works, I'll call him "Tom". LOL.

Well, Tom will do for now.

It's not something which can be forced too much, otherwise you will be trying too hard. It should floooowwwww.....

In fact, it is very likely that the character will name himself in due course, and when you least expect it. He just hasn't been around long enough yet.....

The good news is that with modern word processing, I can change every instance of the name at the end of the project within seconds. Again: Living in the future is great.

Prepare for several name changes.....

I already have my nom de plume. It's one that won't make Mom and Dad scratch their heads.

Not your name, I was meaning those of your characters....LOL

I hope your parents are happy with your choice of pen name. And I hope you're happy, even if they're not....

I knew what you meant... And they're typically happy if I am, even if they think that I'm somewhat nuts sometimes...