[REMOVE ADS]

Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 3206
    Yes, I see. Classic scenario, when one partner retires from employment.

Effectively, you've now moved into her domain. At least, what was once her sole domain during the hours you were formerly out of the house, at work.

it will be a period of adjustment for both of you. You'll certainly have each other for company, but room to manoeuvre as individuals has perhaps, for both of you, now been curtailed.

Your wife's suggestion of a six month break for you must have a reason. Perhaps she felt you were extremely stressed, and would need all of that time?

I think I'd be more in agreement with you. The priority is not so much the time taken just being at home - it's what you will do when that period of time has ended which is paramount.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-28-2014 at 12:49 PM.

I think she'll be surprised to find that 75% of my next job will involve me working from home. I'm thinking more that should I truly enjoy my next venture, I probably won't be retiring in ten years as I've planned for the last 35 years.

I'm about 12 years older than you, and I'm still working...and planning my next endeavour...

I'll be fine so long as I'm not waking early and punching the time clock.

If you wake early, punch the pillow and try again...

If that doesn't work, get up and start the day...

Thank God for another day! Thank God for family, friends, life experience, this board, and you, my friend! Life is truly good.

You get going with the feet stomping and hand clapping, and I'll just run and get my tambourine....

Well, we've got the percussion set... Where's the rest of the band?

Unless anyone else shows up, we're right here.

Then we'll just do call and response and some record company weasel will sign us. We'll call ourselves "westozzieboulevard".

It won't fly. The name is longer than our act. We'll have to change it.

And anyway, no-one's going to expect good music to be associated with a ridiculous name like westgrandboulevard.......

I'm sorry I can't join. I had a bad accident involving a pair of clash cymbals

That does sound too bad. Then perhaps you wouldn't mind moving around with an advertising board -?

I hope the "bad accident" didn't involve smushing the head of an annoying bandmate between those cymbals...? I can see where the temptation might arise in some situations. I'm sure that's what led to the feud between Diana and Mary, although I don't know who was percussed.

I'd be tempted to use those cymbals on some of the feuding fans.

Any instrument that drowns out the din of that fray would be greatly appreciated.

It's called 'ignore' , and it's silent.

Mind you, the threads then often lose all sense of continuity, so you have to 'unignore' someone, just to discover what they're saying.......

I stay away from the Motown forum because the folks there are more hardcore on the details of Motown artists' lives than I am or care to be. I can honestly say that there are no artists from the label that I'd attack on a message board or take offense if someone else did. I just don't care for the vitriol and childish trolling. I like it here, where it sometimes gets political and on the Soulful Detroit Forum where they still manage to poison the water of good threads on a fairly consistent basis.

No, I don't care so much about the personal details behind the artists, or what may or may not have been. I have no-one on 'ignore'. If I negotiate around the more distracting threads, I find I can maintain my interest. Besides, I have other interests in my life, as well as other concerns. Some of the people here give the impression they do not....

There's usually no problem with the non-Supremes threads in the Motown forum. I don't often participate in the more contentious Supremes threads, but lately I've been trying a reductio ad absurdum approach. Needless to say, it hasn't proved particularly effective.

There's got to be a hilarious screenplay that waiting to be written about that dynamic [[Diana Ross fans vs. Supremes fans) that is just waiting to be written and filmed. The writers could do 90% of their research right here. Can you imagine the reaction when they tell people that the film is based upon a true story?
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 07-31-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Didn't they try pulling that one with 'Dreamgirls' - ?

That wasn't funny, though. There's no way the fan-based drama can be portrayed as a straight film.

True, but the only way a screenplay on those lines will fly is if it cannot be directly linked to anyone living., or a known act. The subject, by its nature, is a caricature and requires a larger than life, grotesque treatment, two or three steps from reality, because of its depiction of unhappiness - otherwise, it won't be funny, just depressing.

That said, when the source of inspiration has passed away, the moment has gone anyway. If even Diana Ross passed away tonight, there would be no national mourning. A flurry of media coverage, certainly, but life has moved on too far to clearly remember a pop singer now in her eighth decade.

The actual scenario of crazed fans battling away in delusion could indeed be very useful for a plot, if taken two or three steps away from the original inspiration. Perhaps an animated feature, with two hives of bees battling it out over the two queens, who are big stars in the insect entertainment world.. something like that likely might fly!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-31-2014 at 05:36 PM.

That's interesting because there was never more than a brief mention on the national news when Levi Stubbs, Bobby Smith, and Bobby Womack passed away. I don't remember much about Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, or Melvin Franklin either, let alone many others. I wonder how long the news would give Lady Diana/Dirty Diana [[depending on which side of the fence you're standing)?

My wife was napping when news of Michael Jackson's passing was broadcast. When she woke up, I told her that the most famous man in the world had died. She took the next 20 minutes to figure out who I was talking about and never mentioned his name. After exhausting everybody [[literally), I told her and she couldn't believe it. She agreed that he was indeed the most famous person in the world, though.

A sentence on the evening news? Nope, the next 30 nights were devoted to his memory and each news broadcast and gossip show had 10-15 minutes dedicated to him for weeks. I guess I was right in my summation of him.

The next closest thing would be the passing of Whitney Houston, which earned 10 days or so of media attention.

The reason that I bring it up is that so many artist affect so many people in good and bad ways. It amazes me that there are enclaves of people who find the time to idolize or actively demean Diana Ross or others. She doesn't care, so why should they? I guess we live vicariously through others and, as you say, in some cases we're jealous of their success. And after everything is said and done, all we are is dust in the wind...

On the day that Bobby Womack died, his death was the lead item on BBC Radio 2's 8am News Headlines, and was a main item for the rest of the day. That surprised me, as I didn't realise he was that well known to the general public over here.

I noticed that. I don't believe that Bobby Womack's music is that well known or recognised by the general public. Many would regard him as 'Motown'.

Not to be cynical, but it could have been just a slow news day. The passing of artists from the world of entertainment make good filler ,as the info is already prepared. They receive more coverage if their passing is unexpected, and at a relatively young age.

It might also have partly been because of the connection to the Rolling Stones' "It's All Over Now".

How quickly we all make way for each other.. often, long before we're ready to do so...

Ummmm... I'll let y'all know when I'm ready...

Exactly. You never will be...but think of all the younger forms of Jerry O., who have come along since you did.....

I suppose. Thinking of all the older versions makes me suppose that if I love long enough, I'll be ready one day. That just isn't the case yet.

I wasn't really thinking about the aspect of 'end of life', rather more of how we're constantly being superseded by others in many aspects of our daily lives. As personalities we are, in our own way, quite unique.. but in everything else, not....LOL

I bet I'm more unique than you

How wonderful if we can appreciate our unique positions in life. We believe ourselves to be unique, yet good psychologists and con men can show where we really aren't. But it's good to be who you are and to be able to enjoy it.

Might just as well. Otherwise, we'd all be exactly the same....

If we were the same, would I have a British accent or would you have a Mercan one?

That's just one good reason why people can't be the same.....

Waitaminnit... Good for who...?

It's good for both and all of us, that people are different. No good if I spoke in 'transatlantic' tones, and you attempted a British English intonation....

It amazes me that many Aussie, Brit, and Scottish actors can ape a perfect American accent, but Americans tend to sound horrible trying to perform with their intonations.

Although I'm sure that can't be true, neither can I actually quote you any notable examples of American actors who convinced with their British or Antipodean accents.That will be due to the fact that I don't keenly study latest film releases.

That said, I have just remembered Gillian Anderson being very impressive as Lady Dedlock in a BBC/PBS TV joint production of 'Bleak House' in 2005. If you've ever thought we here in the UK put on good drama, and have never seen this series,check it out......

If I get the time, I'll certainly do that. I was a fan of Gillian Anderson's when she was on the X-Files. There are a few good actors who do poor "American" [[I don't let myself laugh at Liam Neeson anymore), but Hugh Jackman, Idris Elba, and a few other foreigners have been able to do various regions of it without problems. On the flip side, I like the movie "Stardust", but Claire Danes, an otherwise fine actress, is distracting with what should be a less obvious British accent.

But who am I to say?

It seems casting is almost always focused on 'names' which will sell the production, and not on the selection of those who would be the most suitable to take part in it.

Once I start seeing the actor instead of the character, I tend not to care so much about their movies anymore. Robert DeNiro is one of my favorite actors because he used to disappear into his roles. Nowadays, every movie seems like it's Robert DeNiro on screen, which is somehow sad. My brother's favorite actor was Jack Lemmon, who I loved from his '60s films. However, sometime in the '70s, the same thing happened with him and I cannot watch any Jack Lemmon movies from the last 20 years of his life. Picky picky picky... I need to stop paying attention, I guess.

It's all true...and also true that the vast majority of actors have quite a narrow range....so the roles then become a vehicle for 'The Star'. But then 'The Stars' are almost always watchable, even in real clinkers. Maggie Smith plays it virtually the same way in whatever the production may be, with slight variations, selecting one from what she calls her 'Gallery of Grotesques'...

I agree. She is limited but she plays the role well enough that I wonder if she's that person in real life or if she is able to put it on like a uniform when she punches the clock to begin the shift. Among English actresses, I find Judi Dench to be believable in every role that she plays. She brings a great empathy for her characters, regardless of how similar the roles might seem to be. I also like Helen Mirren a lot. I can honestly say that she's one of those actors that I won't see when she's in character. I don't know how well "The Queen" was received over there, but that was a great movie and it was great because she carried it so well.

Judi Dench has always been a favourite over here, and Helen Mirren has become more popular with the years. Judi has greater range.

"The Queen" was well-received here although,again, there were probably other actors who could have been more successful in the parts, but were less bankable names. I have reservations about Helen Mirren's voice for the Queen, which seems to be based much more on Margaret Thatcher.

You see, I wouldn't know something like that. It's hard to carry a film when your character is on camera [[probably) 85% of the time, but she did it. I liked how understated she played the role. She portrayed the character with a quiet, very respectful dignity. It had to take a lot of nerve to take that job, but she did very well. In honesty, none of the other actors stood out at all. I mean no disrespect, but many other actors could have portrayed those figures and it would not have made the film any better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Although I'm sure that can't be true, neither can I actually quote you any notable examples of American actors who convinced with their British or Antipodean accents.That will be due to the fact that I don't keenly study latest film releases.

That said, I have just remembered Gillian Anderson being very impressive as Lady Dedlock in a BBC/PBS TV joint production of 'Bleak House' in 2005. If you've ever thought we here in the UK put on good drama, and have never seen this series,check it out......
    Gwyneth Paltrow 's English accent is near perfect. The accent of James Marsters, a Californian who appeared in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", was so flawless that I thought he was English.

I remember a critic once criticising Dougray Scott for his bad Scottish accent. He obviously didn't know that he actually is Scottish, and that most of his early work was with the Scottish National Theatre.
    Last edited by 144man; 08-04-2014 at 07:58 PM.