[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Madonna knows all about that. Her Uncle Gus [[who recently passed) worked with and was friends with my brother George said most of her friends growing up were black girls.
    Well, then, the case is closed, in my book. She just wasn't thinking and did something stupid. She got angry because she didn't understand the outrage and didn't connect the dots. I'm thinking someone had to intervene and kind of explain to her how what she was doing looked so bad.

I still say she has shown herself to be a poor parent with that picture of her underage kid and his friends with beer/liquor bottles.

I don't believe she is a racist. She may be a little bit of a bigot towards Black men now. Who knows. But, at least I don't have to delete her music like I have with a couple of other people.

She did something stupid, reacted the wrong way, and apologized.

Now, back to the 'Nuge.

Soulster, have you ever actually thrown away a physical record in addition to deleting files? I've given music away [[Straight Outa Compton) to someone who appreciates it more when it offended me, but I never actually pitched a record, CD, or tape. I even called a record store once and explained to them that the CD I bought was offensive on a level that compelled me to complain and they took it back, even though I already opened it. To be honest, it's pretty hard to piss me off to that extreme and chances are that I don't have the music of someone likely to do that in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, then, the case is closed, in my book. She just wasn't thinking and did something stupid. She got angry because she didn't understand the outrage and didn't connect the dots. I'm thinking someone had to intervene and kind of explain to her how what she was doing looked so bad.

I still say she has shown herself to be a poor parent with that picture of her underage kid and his friends with beer/liquor bottles.

I don't believe she is a racist. She may be a little bit of a bigot towards Black men now. Who knows. But, at least I don't have to delete her music like I have with a couple of other people.

Now, back to the 'Nuge.
    Madonna did something real stupid and real ignorant imo but I dont buy that she wasnt thinking. Everything the woman does is real calculated and controlled and if someone had to intervenne to tell her calling someone in her case her own son the N word then shes real out of touch imo and shes used that word before. I think shes a terrible mother for using the N word and for letting her kids and his friends take photos with liquor and for dating boys that arent much older than her daughter Lordes but shes Madonna and think rules dont apply to her so I will never spend another dime on her music and I will pray for her which is all i can do.

Roberta

Now, back to the 'Nuge.
    Who's music have had to delete?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Soulster, have you ever actually thrown away a physical record in addition to deleting files?
    I sure have! And, I had fun doing it!

A decade ago, a friend of mine [[R.I.P.) gave his record collection of rock albums to me. He was trying to get clean and the music, he claimed, was part of his getting high/drunk. In that box, he had some Ted Nugent albums. I played them but didn't care for his music, so, I just stuck them back in the box. But three or four years ago, when the asshole decided to get disrespectful and racial with Obama, I remembered those albums, took them out, and had fun destroying them. I scratched them up, broke them in pieces, defaced the covers...same with some Hank Williams Jr. albums that were in a box of albums another friend recently gave me.

I trashed the one Pat Boone CD I had, and am trying to find out more of what Ray Stevens has said about Obama before I trash his CDs. I have deleted all of their music from my server and backup drives. I kept Charlie Daniels' music because, while he also has been ignorantly critical of Obama, I don't see where he has been disrespectful or racist that I know of...yet. He at least calls Obama the President, and isn't one of those birthers like Pat Boone.

Oh yeah, Etta James also made disparaging remarks about Obama a couple of years before she died. She was drunk, but still...Eric Clapton has racist beliefs to this very day, and has made some pretty damming statements. He was drunk when he made them, but has never backed down from his support of Enoch Powell. But, I still don't think he's a racist. He's ignorant and mixed up in the head. I'm keeping his music, too.

Gene Simmons is a moron, and has come out against Obama because he is mis-informed by the people at Fox news like the others, but he has not said much of anything else. I'm keeping Kiss's music.

Years ago, I trashed a Sista Soulja album because I felt she was a racist, blaming all the worlds problems on White people, which is wrong. I once destroyed my niece's Too Short tape.

I've given music away [[Straight Outa Compton) to someone who appreciates it more when it offended me, but I never actually pitched a record, CD, or tape. I even called a record store once and explained to them that the CD I bought was offensive on a level that compelled me to complain and they took it back, even though I already opened it. To be honest, it's pretty hard to piss me off to that extreme and chances are that I don't have the music of someone likely to do that in my library.
    I have a massive collection. If I am offended enough, I see no reason to keep their music.

Everyone mush do what they think is right for them, and getting rid of someone's music id my way.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Now, back to the 'Nuge.
    Madonna is not a racist. She is many other things that would aggregvate a lot people, but not a racists nor her family members. She made the mistake of believing that everyone knows about her and understand her. That she's cool with everyone so she would get a pass for saying something she should not be saying. I have a lot of Italian buddies and we curse each other completely out at times ,but we all know not to cross a certain line no matter how close we have been over the years.

Thanks, Marv! That about sums it up for me too.

I am very glad that I don't have these philosophical issues with the artists in my record collection. Every performer listed in this thread that have deplorable beliefs are nowhere in my vinyl or CD collection. I guess their beliefs tend to contaminate their music as well.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I am very glad that I don't have these philosophical issues with the artists in my record collection. Every performer listed in this thread that have deplorable beliefs are nowhere in my vinyl or CD collection. I guess their beliefs tend to contaminate their music as well.
    Madonna's beliefs...well, we don't know many of them except for the charities and other things she supports, like gay equality, homeless children, and Obama. She has never really put her politics into her music. I don't really know Nugent's music, but, as far as I know, he keeps politics out of his music too. Can't say the same for his [[admitting to and bragging about) having sex with underage girls. though. Or, Ray Stevens recording and releasing songs about how Obama is spending money. I don't think Pat Boone even records anymore, but he has come out as a birther.

Alice Cooper, who is a born-again christian, says any musician who would even mention his or her political beliefs is an idiot, moron, or some other epithet he used. Why? You wind up offending half of your audience. That is why Cooper never discusses his politics. All he will ever say is that he is a christian. That's all we need to know. This is a good thing because I don't know is he's a liberal, a conservative, or a tea-bagger, and I don't have to purge his music from my home. I can happily listen to his radio show, and I can eat at his restaurant. Weather you like his music is your business, I do, but i'm just saying that I know nothing, so I can't be offended.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-11-2014 at 02:35 PM.

I hate it when performers reveal their politics [[unless they do so to answer a question). Patricia Heaton chimed in on Twitter to concur when Rush Limbaugh called that girl a slut for testifying about the need for medical care to cover birth control. I watched her show, "The Middle" occasionally up until then, but never since. It bugs me when personalities actively promote politics or religion, regardless of whether I share those beliefs.

Yeah, but we certainly don't mind overtly political artists like Gil Scott-Heron, the Last Poets, Linton Kwesi Johnson, or Public Enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Yeah, but we certainly don't mind overtly political artists like Gil Scott-Heron, the Last Poets, Linton Kwesi Johnson, or Public Enemy.
    Exactly, man! We like it as long as we agree with their views!

Jerry, it is better if we don't know their political stances, but politics had been a part of music for decades, especially since the mid-60s! It's just that until lately, most musicians were center-to-left. Now we are seeing a lot of right-wingers come out. That's cool if you lean their way, but not cool if they don't. We saw this after 9/11. The vast majority of neo-cons came from...you got it...the country music world. And, since Obama, some of musicians have revealed downright ignorance and racism, and they came from all over.

Good point if you can show me where either of them is a registered Democrat, Republican, or other. Furthermore, I'd argue that any message to uplift one race shouldn't be confused with one that brings another down. The artists that you mention rally for Black people to stand up and demand better, whereas the Ted Nugents of the world are more likely to tell us to either sit down or demand authority to put us back in our seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Good point if you can show me where either of them is a registered Democrat, Republican, or other. Furthermore, I'd argue that any message to uplift one race shouldn't be confused with one that brings another down. The artists that you mention rally for Black people to stand up and demand better, whereas the Ted Nugents of the world are more likely to tell us to either sit down or demand authority to put us back in our seats.
    Yeah but from the perspective of un-evolved individuals like Nugent, artists like the ones I listed represented dissenters and enemies of the state. You know the deal. One man's enemy is another man's freedom fighter [[or something to that effect).