[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    It's now in the Dutch I-tunes store for download.

RossHolloway Guest
    So what are some of the favorite tracks from this collection?

The ones I have on repeat are those where the Supremes are performing background vocals.

Where's the British release, then?

Really, really poor effort, UME.

is it on i-tunes?

Only the US store, which UK users are free to browse but not to buy from. Despite it being a digital only release [[and yet divided into "Disc 1" and "Disc 2", what's that about? But I digress).

But hey, who ever heard of British fans wanting to buy rare Motown records, right? [[SUBS PLEASE CHECK)

Seems strange.....we MUST be the biggest market for such a release.
    If anybody knows how we can access this in the UK please give details
    [[I'm after CD-r copy actually)

I have just obtained it from 7digital NZ. So i guess that it will be available in the UK shortly.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    is it on i-tunes?
    In the US it is up on iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    In the US it is up on iTunes.
    But not available to buy, if you're not in the USA. Same with 7digital, Amazon etc. Even Spotify.

It's not even a question of not wanting to buy imports - I'm British, I've spent my entire life buying American records you just can't get over here. This is different; as a digital-only release, there's literally no way I can legitimately buy a copy from a US online site without a US credit card and a US residential address.

[[Non-legitimately, it's theoretically possible to spoof the US iTunes store into letting you buy such things by setting up a fake account with a fake American street address, and then getting hold of an American iTunes gift card either from a Stateside friend or by running the gauntlet on auction sites, thus avoiding the need for an American credit card, but I frankly can't be bothered to jump through shady grey-market hoops just to try and give Universal my money. Especially when I see this next part.)

So, it's apparently available in some really random markets now, including European ones - but not several major ones. A random sampling of 7digital sites shows I could quite happily buy a copy if I was in a priority international territory like Holland, New Zealand, Austria, Portugal, Switzerland or Finland [[as well as Italy and Spain). However, if you're in the UK, France or Germany, the three European markets which historically buy the most records and also the most Motown records, BZZZT, you're out of luck.

I can only assume it's a licensing SNAFU on someone's part.

So what are some of the favorite tracks from this collection?
    I LOVE the LaBrenda Ben tracks, particularly Even If You Don't Mean It. Not only does she sound like Kim Weston a little bit but her vocal range is AMAZING on that ballad.

Radionixon, I share your frustration. I guess these will be made available in the UK eventually but do we know for sure?

This country-specific availability of digital downloads is indeed an annoyance. And hey, isn't the EU supposed to be a single market? How can Universal/7Digital block us from buying it from a company in the Netherlands?

I'm a cd buyer except when it's not an alternative [[as in this case) or in a few rare cases where the cd is out of print and used ones are ridiculously expensive. Some time ago I suggested that Universal should make some of their old cd titles - especially ones they have no plans to release again - available as downloads, just using the digital mastering from the old cd release. This should be easy to do and would give customers the option to buy the download from Universal rather than paying up for a used cd. A few months later [[maybe a coincidence) two of the titles I wanted - "What Love Has Joined Together" from Smokey & The Miracles and The Tempt's "Solid Rock" - did appear as mp3 downloads in the US [[on Amazon.com), but NOT IN THE UK.

RossHolloway Guest
    Doesn't this happen EVERY TIME a release is done in the US and there is some lag time in England/Europe? And this has happened when there is an English release of certain titles and there is a lag time with folks in the US receiving the releases. WE should all know by now to take a deep breath and know that you will eventually get this release.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    I LOVE the LaBrenda Ben tracks, particularly Even If You Don't Mean It. Not only does she sound like Kim Weston a little bit but her vocal range is AMAZING on that ballad.
    Justanothermotownfan- I think Even if You Don't Mean It is THE absolute revelation on this collection. LaBrenda's tracks are the stand out on this collection. I was most looking forward to the two Brenda Holloway tracks and they don't disappoint, I'm sure these are probably two of the very first songs that she recorded for Motown out in California and provides a small window back to that time.

I got this a couple of weeks back from the US iTunes site. I am based in the UK and regularly use the US site as they have more available. As Radio Nixon said, I set up a dummy US address [[some hotel in New York) and then purchase US gift cards from a couple of internet sites as and when required. Never had a problem sourcing any tracks from iTunes this way.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    I got this a couple of weeks back from the US iTunes site. I am based in the UK and regularly use the US site as they have more available. As Radio Nixon said, I set up a dummy US address [[some hotel in New York) and then purchase US gift cards from a couple of internet sites as and when required. Never had a problem sourcing any tracks from iTunes this way.
    Smart Booty

Any news yet on when this will be available for legitimate download in the UK?

I have mine on CD now and after a few listens I`m very, very happy with it. My favourite so far is Marvin`s "Do You Wanna Go With Me". I like the way Stevie`s "Don`t Hesitate To Cry" morphed into Marvin`s "It`s Got To Be Love" from his box set.The earlier versions are all good and I`m really fizzing at the thought of 1964.
    I feel that there ought to be further tracks from this time i.e. Liz Lands, Hattie Littles and Sammy Turner. There must be more of this vintage from Marvin, Stevie and the Miracles.

RossHolloway Guest
    Is anyone else hearing the Temptations on background to Stevie's Blowing in the Wind and Just My Speed?

UK issue ?
    Anybody from UMG?

*drums fingers impatiently*

It wouldn't be as bad if someone would just give us a clue to when this is likely to be available in the UK. Surely a hint from UMG?

Here it is, UK fans:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Unrel...own+unreleased

I don't see it yet on 7digital, last time they had a 320 kbps bitrate [[constant) vs 256 from Amazon [[probably encoded as 256 variable, so possibly even less) , for the same price. But I don't see the bitrate for the Amazon downloads here...
    Last edited by calvin; 01-19-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Hallelujah! Thanks Calvin.

Well, this was worth the wait. So far, LaBrenda and Freddie are stealing the show, but on preliminary listens my favourite track [[as might be predicted) is Martha and the Vandellas' weird early version of Keep It Up, which brings out all the strange and scary and lovely things that were just out of reach on the Watchout! version.

Thanks Calvin! At last. It's on Google Play at 320 kbps bitrate and 50p cheaper than Amazon if anyone's interested in the higher quality [[but still not on 7 digital). I suppose you could say that everything comes to those who wait, but it has been frustrating as well as perplexing as to why it took an international company of Universal's stature so long.

Thanks Alan for the heads up on Google Play, I just bought it there.

Well the wait for this wasn't too bad, a bit more than a month. But given these country-specific restrictions on purchases, I don't understand why they don't just make everything available in other markets. I've noticed that even some Hip-O releases which sold out long ago are available as downloads in the US but not in the UK [[Teena Marie's "Wild and Peaceful" being an example). I don't care about these because I have them on cd, but I don't understand it. Technically it should be super easy and cheap to make the downloads available for purchase here, so why don't they? Is it for a legal reason or is it just an oversight? Universal must miss some sales by not doing this.

I also see that Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "What Love Has Joined Together" and The Temptations "Solid Rock" are offered as downloads in the US but not here in the UK. These are two that I would buy, if I could. [[I'd prefer to have them in cd-quality, but used copies go for around £100 which is simply way too much for me.)

I've started looking at and using Google Play recently. All files are at 320 kbs and there are often some keen prices, plus great special bargains. Currently there are/have been some superb albums like the Isley's '3+3' and Sly's 'Stand' at £1.99 each.

It's on 7digital now, in 320 kbps. http://www.7digital.com/artist/vario...nreleased-1963

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Well, this was worth the wait. So far, LaBrenda and Freddie are stealing the show, but on preliminary listens my favourite track [[as might be predicted) is Martha and the Vandellas' weird early version of Keep It Up, which brings out all the strange and scary and lovely things that were just out of reach on the Watchout! version.
    LaBrenda was definitely my revelation on this set. One can't help but wonder what happened to her career at Motown. Seems like the company had more talent then they knew what to do with.

Yep, I agree. The LaBrenda tracks are indeed the killers. Can anyone shed any light on her, what happened to her, why she didn't stay with Motown etc? I also like Stevie's 'I'm Checking Out', Marvin's 'Do You Wanna To Go With Me' and his great take on 'They Didn't Believe Me'. There are other goodies too. I've never particularly been into everything from Motown in this transitional period, but you can hear 'the sound' taking shape and the whole set is a fascinating listen. Yet again one can ask......why were some of these never released?!

Labrenda Ben 4 me. I kept checking my player as she sounds so close to Kim Weston [[ well my ears ). Yes , what happened to her etc ?

A question for the boyfromxtown:

Whose voice are you hearing on "I Don't Want Your Promises"?
    To my ears, the lead voice sounds more like Patrice Holloway than Labrenda Ben- especially when compared to the other Labrenda Ben tracks on 1963.

honest man Guest
    LaBrenda ben sound so much like Kim Weston,wonder if that was the reason she was gone early on in Motown Oblivion,kind of JJ Barnes -Marvin set up,just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The ones I have on repeat are those where the Supremes are performing background vocals.
    On what tracks are you hearing them? Are the 3 Supremes tracks really alternates?

Shame there's no info on producers etc. I suppose we'll have to wait for the update to DFTMC.

I got mine from Amazon last Friday. For some reason, this feels incomplete... there's got to be more unreleased stuff from 1963. I thought I read Liz Lands had an album's worth of unreleased tracks. Other lesser known acts must have had recordings too during this time.

Anyone know is everything from 1959-1961 has been cleared?

There has to more Cadeho, Sammy Turner, Hattie Littles, Sammy Ward, Mickie McCullers,Bruce Channel, Choker Campbell, Mike & the Modifiers, Johnnie Powers, Anita Knorl and Gino Parks to name a few.Plus more from the bigger names.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    There has to more Cadeho, Sammy Turner, Hattie Littles, Sammy Ward, Mickie McCullers,Bruce Channel, Choker Campbell, Mike & the Modifiers, Johnnie Powers, Anita Knorl and Gino Parks to name a few.Plus more from the bigger names.
    Does this mean those songs are in public domain? Why weren't they released? Are they waiting to include them on Ace/Kent or Cellarful compilations? I am sure there are several country songs left too. I so want to hear everything!

In the EU all music from 1962 and prior is public domain and as I understand it anything unreleased from 1963 is also public domain. If any of the music by those artistes [[especially if it is unreleased) is public domain, the task is to get hold of it. Obviously Universal could dig into the archives if they wanted to or Ace could request tracks from Universal for the masters. The other 'public domain labels' would have to source them another way.

Is the only way to find out who the producers are to wait for the next edition of "Don't Forget the Motorcity"?

I am trying to get clearance from UMG to post the complete annos on DFTMC as a "Special Feature". Alternatively to get UMG to post them on some site of their own. They were done as part of the original package, I expected them to appear with the trax as a PDF download [[as "Funny Girl").

The next complete edition of DFTMC will not appear until next year.

I hope UMG agree to that. Running supplements between complete editions seems like a good idea.

Is anyone else hearing the Supreme's singing background vocals on No Longer A Rebel by R Dean Taylor?
    Yes definitely, also sounds like them on the other R Dean Taylor track "Respectable Distance Away". Can you hear them elsewhere?

Will there be an UNRELEASED 1964?

Recording details for "Motown Unreleased 1963" are now available on the DFTMC site ... you can get there from "Bonus Tracks" at the bottom of the home page.

Many thanks Keith. And now to work!

Keith, with the Supremes track "You`re Gonna Come To Me" you have noted that it is
    Version 3 recorded 28.2.63. and previously unreleased when in fact version 3 was included on the expanded "Where Did Our Love Go" with a release date of 25.11.63.
    Version 1 is 15.6.61.
    Version 2 is 15.8.61.
    Does that mean that the "WDOLG" track is actually version 4? I hope that this all makes sense.

I have mine on CD now and after a few listens I`m very, very happy with it. My favourite so far is Marvin`s "Do You Wanna Go With Me". I like the way Stevie`s "Don`t Hesitate To Cry" morphed into Marvin`s "It`s Got To Be Love" from his box set.The earlier versions are all good and I`m really fizzing at the thought of 1964.
    I feel that there ought to be further tracks from this time i.e. Liz Lands, Hattie Littles and Sammy Turner. There must be more of this vintage from Marvin, Stevie and the Miracles.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  21.1 KB
    And The Creations, Serenaders, Versatones, Downbeats, Five Quails, Steve Mancha [[as himself - Clyde Wilson), Edward Earling, Linda Griner, Kim Weston, Clarence Paul, Danny Day [[Hal Davis), Mickey McCullers, etc,

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  21.1 KB
    Did Anita Knorl have an Artist's Contract with Motown, or was she just a demo singer? I suspect the latter. If so, Motown can't release her recordings [[like several songs I'd like released by The Serenaders, Parliaments, Carol Moore, Norma Jenkins and others.