[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Motown Unreleased 1963???

Here's an interesting article I found whilst searching to find any news of a possible repeat of last year's 1962 mp3 releases:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/ar...1bUkZoIcKU8iAQ

It also perhaps goes some way to explaining the thing I found so weird about last years' releases; how they just seemed to 'slip' out without any fanfare or prior announcements. I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks if there'll be a 1963 series...

RossHolloway Guest
    I sent HW an email a few weeks ago asking if there would be a 1963 collection of unreleased material but sadly he never responded...

Speaking of HW, has ANYONE any knowledge if he is still with Universal? It is surprising that nothing but nothing has come forth to my knowledge from him.

Thanks for posting the New York Times article Jacques. It'll be interesting to see if any Motown 1963 material becomes available.

I'm not an expert on the law, but I'm not sure that the writer has all the details correct, including the point that material could fall out of copyright that quickly if not used. Here's an extract from the official EU Directive:

`Use-it-or-lose-it`
    If, 50 years after its publication, the producer of a sound recording is not making the recording available for sale, both physically and online, in sufficient quantity, a performer who has assigned his or her rights in the recording to the producer may give written notice to the producer that he or she wishes to reclaim their performers` rights in the recording. If, after one year from the date of the notice, the producer has failed to make the recording
    available for sale, both physically and online, the performer`s rights will revert to the performer and the producer`s copyright in the recording will expire.

To me the key phrase is 'available for sale, both physically and online, in sufficient quantity'. The article's mention of only 100 copies of the Dylan tracks seems hardly 'in sufficient quantities'! If that system carries on I can see some performers complaining and regaining their rights. It also suggests that, even with the Motown tracks, they have to be made available on CD as well as online.

As I say, I'm no expert on the legalities. It'll be interesting to see what happens in coming months....and we all need to keep a sharp eye out whatever kind of music we like.

Meanwhile, off Motown but on topic, Apple/The Beatles are already looking after their interests! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25364624

I see a couple of alternate takes by the Supremes from the Country and Western album and I am assuming You're Gonna Come To Me is from those same sessions :-) Although I would have loved to see those alternate takes included on a remastered Country and Western CD from hip-o I have a feeling that may not happen. So I def will be purchasing those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I see a couple of alternate takes by the Supremes from the Country and Western album and I am assuming You're Gonna Come To Me is from those same sessions :-) Although I would have loved to see those alternate takes included on a remastered Country and Western CD from hip-o I have a feeling that may not happen. So I def will be purchasing those songs.
    Where did you see these titles listed?

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    OMG CHRISTMASTIME AGAIN,Thanks for the link to songs,looks amazing,cheers.

Brenda Holloway 1963?Don't think that's accurate, not for MOTOWN anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    According to DFTMC, Deep Freeze was "completed before 17 Feb 1964" and Each Little Teardrop was "completed before 14 Feb 1964." Maybe Universal is taking no chances, releasing these now to prevent them from falling into public domain just in case some documents might be found later showing they were recorded in late 1963?
    Last edited by calvin; 12-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    According to DFTMC, Deep Freeze was "completed before 17 Feb 1964" and Each Little Teardrop was "completed before 14 Feb 1964." Maybe Universal is taking no chances, releasing these now to prevent them from falling into public domain just in case some documents might be found later showing they were recorded in late 1963?
    This package appears to have some good material. Question: Did Martha & the Vandellas record Keep it Up as early as 1963? The version we know became available on the Watch Out album from 1966. We do know that Jimmy Mack from that album was recorded in 1964. It was not uncommon for material recorded years earlier to surface at a later date.

will these be available on CDs?
    thanks
    snakepit

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    It's possible. Both Brenda and Patrice were singed sometime in 1963, a couple weeks ago someone posted a newspaper announcement from November 1963 stating Motown had opened a West Coast office and the Holloway sisters and a Canadian artist had been signed. Patrice's first single was scheduled for release at the end of that year and is included in TCMS 1963.

No session information for Motown tracks recorded on the West Coast in the 60s has been preserved, but in nearly all cases the tapes were sent to Detroit for mixing. A closer analysis of the information available than was carried out for the last edition of DFTMC has revealed that "Each Little Teardrop" was mixed by the end of October 1963, and "Deep Freeze" by the end of December. "Each Little Teardrop" appears to have been the very first Motown track by Brenda to have been mixed.

"Keep It Up" is an early version of the song; the version on Watch Out was a complete re-make.

December 17th, eh? Is this going to be available in the UK before Christmas? There's no sign of it on the British versions of either iTunes or Amazon.

Ooh, just looking at this track list now...! "The Night We Called It A Day" completes the Tops' Breaking Through set. The Contours doing Andre Williams' "Shoo-Doo". LOTS of Marvin Gaye. Some new Freddie Gorman. Practically a whole album's worth of LaBrenda Ben.

AWESOME.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Speaking of Labrenda Ben......Is this list [[from DFTMC) the complete list of her Motown tracks?

Bad News

Camel Walk

Chaperone, The

Congratulations

Do You Know What I'm Talking About

Fugitive

I Can't Help It, I Gotta Dance

In Twenty Words Or Less

It's All Over You

Just Be Yourself
    Plus the songs: I Don't Want Your Promises, Even if You Don't Mean It, Better Unsaid, and Let Them

Radio nixon when was "I Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind" released.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Radio nixon when was "I Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind" released.
    It wasn't, but does it actually exist? Without looking, I thought the last time this came up here, it was stated the Lost & Found CD contained all the surviving/completed "lost album" tracks bar The Night We Called It A Day, which was left off because it was a markedly lower quality take than the other tracks used on the CD.

Off the top of my head, nobody's ever seen or heard an acetate of I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind; if it survived in any kind of listenable form, I'm sure it would have turned up on either the 1962 or 1963 download-only sets, given last year's releases seemed to have a pretty low quality threshold when it came to what was releaseable [[e.g. one of the tracks being overlaid with 15 seconds of a random Contours B-side) - I'm not complaining, I love love love that Motown are throwing their cupboards open like this, I just mean that if a tape of ICGYOOMM had been found since the last time we were told there wasn't one, then I'm convinced it'd be on here too.

RossHolloway Guest
    The sound clip are up, but I haven't been able to play any of them. Anyone else have better luck?

It says that the Marvin Gaye track "Mojo Hannah" is an alternate version, but I only recall a live version from his 1963 live album. Has another studio version been released previously? Also, the Contours "Do The See Saw" has already been released on their Ace/Kent comp, so would this be an alternate version?

I just bought the two Brenda Holloway songs, "Each Little Teardrop" and "Deep Freeze." They both remind me "Heat Wave" by Martha & The Vandellas--I love it!

Some great tracks here. However, I have only been able to hear the sound clips on Amason.com, and can't download the tracks as I am in the UK. Anyone know if these are being issued in the UK? If not how do we get them?

Wayne

http://tinyurl.com/nqv7lbt

...why oh why aren't these issued on CD..???

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post

There probably isn't the demand, from distributors, retailers or even the public. If absolutely everyone posting here bought it, you're realistically talking, what, a couple of thousand copies sold, tops? I doubt they'd make the money back on a full print run, and UMe aren't really geared up [[down?) to do small print runs of budget albums, especially when capacity is being taken up by big commercial releases near Christmas!

Download-only is the way to go for super-interesting but super-niche projects like this, especially if the aim is indeed just to preserve copyright; it's a cheap way to do it, there are virtually no ongoing costs once it's available to buy, and thus almost no risks. I never really listen to CDs now anyway - I like buying them for the liner notes, artwork etc., but I've got shelves and cupboards heaving with CDs which have only ever been played once [[to rip them to digital).

RossHolloway Guest
    Is anyone else hearing the Supreme's singing background vocals on No Longer A Rebel by R Dean Taylor?

I was thinking the same RossHolloway...im chomping at the bit here in the U.K..this set would have made a great 5th instalment of the " cellerfull " series...does it really matter if all the tunes are from the same year...I think not :-)

RossHolloway Guest
    @mowsville- I also think the Temps are on background on Stevie Wonder's Blowin In The Wind and Just My Speed.

This has been a great early Christmas gift. LaBrenda Ben's cuts have been quite the revelation!
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 12-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    It says that the Marvin Gaye track "Mojo Hannah" is an alternate version, but I only recall a live version from his 1963 live album. Has another studio version been released previously? Also, the Contours "Do The See Saw" has already been released on their Ace/Kent comp, so would this be an alternate version?
    DFTMC list only the live version by MG, but no studio version is listed. It also sounds like Martha & The Vandellas are on background.

The "Use it or Lose It" law might be why they discontinued the Cellerful of Motown sets, Considering the vaults would be annually liquidated anyway.
    The '63 edition is must better than last year as far as quality of tapes and material. Quite a few treasures were left on the cutting room floor.
    Last edited by jboy88; 12-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The "Use it or Lose It" law might be why they discontinued the Cellerful of Motown sets, Considering the vaults would be annually liquidated anyway.
    The '63 edition is must better than last year as far as quality of tapes and material. Quite a few treasures were left on the cutting room floor.
    Has the Cellarful series been discontinued?! It's been 3 years since Volume 4, but that's not really an unusual gap between volumes.

I'd initially assumed the stockpile of unreleased stuff was starting to run low, given that while it's still excellent, I think Cellarful 4 is the least consistently strong of the four volumes - but then the staggering amount of material that we've had on CD releases since [[off the top of my head, the Ace/Kent anthologies - Marv Johnson, the Spinners, Eddie Holland, the Monitors, the Satintones, the Contours, The Artistry of Brenda Holloway, the Patrice Holloway CD, the Motown Girls set - plus the Mary Wells Lost & Found and the Vandellas and Tops 50th Anniversary boxes) proves that theory wrong!

I got the feeling the 1962 sets were comprehensive exercises in shelf-clearing, a complete set of everything even passable quality still unreleased from that year, and that there wouldn't any more known, finished 1962 recordings still to surface [[pending discovery of any more treasures!) I'd be very interested to know if that's correct, and [[if so) whether this new Unreleased 1963 set is intended to be similarly comprehensive, i.e. getting everything of passable quality out there to secure the copyright?

It was never confirmed to be ended, but this is the impression i got from last year! Surely Harry or Keith could give more accurate insight.

honest man Guest
    Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh so frustrating will not purchase to uk,anyone help me out please............................................ ......................

According to another site, Harry has stated that it will be available in the UK soon. How soon I am not sure...

Wayne

...and maybe they'll be reduced to under half-price to UK fans ...as TCMS12b has been recently ...on Amazon UK ...!

I picked up the entire 1963 MP3 set on 7Digital.com for $19.99. Plus, they were available at 320kbps. My only quibble is that there is no [[digital) booklet. Other than for the alternate versions, we have no songwriter, producer, or recording dates info. Last I'd checked, DFTMC.info hadn't yet been updated to include these tracks [[beyond "acetate" in some cases--and they don't have recording dates listed). It didn't have to be fancy--it could have been the info typed out and converted to a PDF file that would be downloaded if you bought the entire the set. Hopefully this will be remedied with future releases!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I picked up the entire 1963 MP3 set on 7Digital.com for $19.99. Plus, they were available at 320kbps. My only quibble is that there is no [[digital) booklet. Other than for the alternate versions, we have no songwriter, producer, or recording dates info. Last I'd checked, DFTMC.info hadn't yet been updated to include these tracks [[beyond "acetate" in some cases--and they don't have recording dates listed). It didn't have to be fancy--it could have been the info typed out and converted to a PDF file that would be downloaded if you bought the entire the set. Hopefully this will be remedied with future releases!
    No Good i cannot locate. only 1962 there[is digital7 an American site maybe] this is so frustrating,Thanks anyway.maybenot xmas after all.

They are up on the us7digital.com site only and not the 7digital.com [[UK site) yet!

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post

Those releases are only being done to keep the songs from the public domain. That's why a CD release won't happen. At least we're getting something no matter what the reason is

Quote Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post
    Those releases are only being done to keep the songs from the public domain. That's why a CD release won't happen. At least we're getting something no matter what the reason is
    You must download, and then burn your own CD as I do.

honest man Guest
    not looking good for UK buyers, gutted.

I'm sure we'll get them, honest man. We had the Unreleased 1962 sets and don't forget that it's the EU Copyright changes that have resulted in their appearance in the first place. Mondays are official new release days in the UK, so fingers crossed for next Monday, or the next, or... Don't give up hope!

I'm looking forward to hearing Freddie Gorman's "I'm Gonna Make It to the Top" as it's one of the few Holland-Dozier-Holland songs that's never been out before.

Still nothing showing on amazon.co.uk so it has missed this Monday for release in the UK. Maybe we will see the set in the New Year.

Ladies & gentlemen, the set is on Spotify. YAY!

Not on the UK Spotify - "Motown Unreleased 1963" still draws a blank!

it is on the Dutch spotify!

how do you get on the Dutch Spotify?

I live in Sweden and it's available from my Spotify account too.