[REMOVE ADS]

Honey and the Bee's coming in Jan.

I saw them perform many years ago on the James Brown Show. One of the Bees married Fred Wesley, I think, who was a player in JB's band.

How was their show, Randy?

I'm wondering if this is a reissue of the C.D. that came out on U.K. Westside in 2000, called "Come Get It [[The Complete Josie Recordings 1970-71", as it has the same photo on the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Come-Get-It-Ho.../dp/B00004RGL7

If so it is a good-un.

Roger

When I saw them it was 1971 and there were only three, however, their lp had four in the cover photo. I thought the girl Honey looked an awful lot like Diana Ross. Their show was ok. They were good singers with a good sound. They did some Motown songs like "War" and "I Can't Next To You" and I remember they did a few of their own. You know, when you work for or with James Brown you better not excite the audience too much or you were facing his wrath. That's what most who worked with him would tell me. Anyway, Fred Wesley always insisted they were better than any other girl group and much, much better singers. Marrying one of them probably does make his opinion bias, but they were ok from what I remember. I really liked the stuff they did with Jimmy Bishop producing in Philadelphia, like "Help Me".

By the way, if you look at the cover photo, which is the photo used on their lp on Josie titled "Love", Honey is the girl seated on the left and not the girl standing in the back. And, again, in my opinion she does resemble Diana Ross.

Here is a great article on "Honey":

http://philadelphianeighborhoods.com...ul-girl-group/

Great article! Thanks for sharing, marybrewster.

Dang, one would think the folks at DustyGroove would have posted that release with a track listing but it seems sleeping on the job is quite common these days. I already have all of the Honey and The Bees releases I could find on cd previously. I don't want to buy the same stuff twice. As for that article, it looks so sloppily written to me it's not funny. An example,
    Gwen Wesley didn't start any group with Nadine Felder, she was Gwen Oliver at the time having not even met or married Fred Wesley when the girls started out....whatever....

Nice article that Mary posted...I had no idea that Honey and the Bees kinda-sorta evolved into the Ritchie Family.

Best,

Mark