[REMOVE ADS]

Temptations CD Albums

We have a recent issue of 5 classic albums on The Temptations. This series is not simply Motown as there are sets, for example, on Glen Campbell and Merle Haggard. OK the choice in The Temptations set is OK but has anybody obtained one yet? Wondered about the packaging of the single albums - are they in decent mini-LP format? I suspect NOT. Tempts fans will already have em anyway but the price seems reasonable.
    Name:  5 classic albums.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  78.3 KB

More importantly when will we see [[re)release of hard to find albums like "Solid Rock" and so on on CD? Will there be a complete album set on the Tempts like the Jackson 5 [[or are the CDs in there poorly packaged anyway?).

Any clues anyone?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Good question. I am more interested in the 70s Temts albums. I have most of their earlier stuff, or rather, the essential songs on their boxed set in mono, and their "With A Lot-O-Soul" album on CD.

I was listening today to the fantastic collection "Psychedelic Soul" and wondering why we don't see more Temptations releases on Hip-O or other labels. That is a great set, with all the long extended versions of the material. Hearing the backgrounds, especially those with Dennis Coffey on guitar, is so rich and satisfying. I think Norman Whitfield is still very under rated.

I wonder how much there is in the vaults of the 70s Temptations, and wish we'd see some of it come out! Hey, we could even take a break from the Supremes sets after so many releases.

At this point, i'll be happy to never hear the "Supremes" name ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    At this point, i'll be happy to never hear the "Supremes" name ever again!
    Understandable, but even if you hate the Supremes [[I don't, but I get how people could end up feeling that way), it's hard to argue they're not the most bankable name in the Motown catalogue.

While some Motown aficionados might be getting heartily sick of their seemingly unending presence on the reissue schedules, especially if it's at the expense of other tantalising rarities or even just proper CD issues for some of the label's *other* big names like the Tempts, you've got to remember that from an outside point of view, it must seem absolutely bizarre that Motown wouldn't prioritise getting every last bit of unreleased or unavailable-on-CD Supremes material out there. [[Particularly if they keep selling like hot cakes, which they clearly seem to be doing given the frequency with which the reissued Supremes special edition 2CD sets sell out.)

Maybe when the Supremes have been "done", Hip-O can move on to the Temptations. I'd be delighted with a 70s Tempts equivalent of the Supremes' This Is The Story/Let Yourself Go album boxes. With "Emperors of Soul" long out of print, there's surely an audience waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Understandable, but even if you hate the Supremes [[I don't, but I get how people could end up feeling that way), it's hard to argue they're not the most bankable name in the Motown catalogue.
    At the risk of ruining another good thread by turning it into a [[ahem!) Supremes thread, I do not hate them. It's some of the people on this forum who have ruined it for many of us.

Now, The Temptations were the steady money makers at Motown. In other words, they paid the bills, had tons of recordings, and are loved by the public just as much as those females I will not mention again. They deserve some love by the reissue department.

I would like to see Wings Of Love released on cd! I only have it on LP.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I would like to see Wings Of Love released on cd! I only have it on LP.
    It is available for download on itunes. I brought it almost a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    It is available for download on itunes. I brought it almost a year ago.
    Some of us want higher quality sound, and iTunes AAC files doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Some of us want higher quality sound, and iTunes AAC files doesn't cut it.
    This album I brought on itunes sounds way better than the vinyl I have without the pops etc. Until a cd comes out the itunes purchase will just have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    This album I brought on itunes sounds way better than the vinyl I have without the pops etc. Until a cd comes out the itunes purchase will just have to do.
    I understand. But, what I would do, since I have the capability, and know-how, is hunt for the actual vinyl album and do my own digital transfer.

"Wings of Love" is available as a cd-quality [[16 bits, 44.1 kHz) download.

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/win.../0060252702262

I am surprised as well that with all the Supremes releases, there isn't any marketing opportunities for some Temptations. It would seem that some breaks in the Supremes reissue schedule would allow for some other catalogs to be explored and might even increase the appetite for the later Supremes editions.

The Tempts were the most successful male group at Motown, I believe their albums outsold the Miracles or the Tops consistently. They were also extremely creative and went through so many great singers and musical styles, hardly missing a beat.

I also have the "Psychedelic Soul" collection as well as the "One by One" collection, and both are fantastic examples of their 70s output, well put together, annotated and beautifully remastered.

I imagine as prolific as they were there must be lots in the vaults. We haven't even seen a "Lost and Found" set on them.

Aside from the Tops [[Lost and Found, Breaking Through) and the Miracles [[mostly straight album reissues), the male groups seem to have been neglected by the reissuers.

Kenneth

Did you miss this?

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Tem.../dp/B00001QGU7

One of my favourite tracks from this album featuring Paul Williams on lead vocal

Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 07-13-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    You know, I remembered that album but I thought for some reason it was hard to find or rare tracks, but not previously unreleased. I see that I was wrong about that...I'll have to get it out and play it again. Thanks!

You could be just about anywhere, walking past a door or window left open, or a car drives by you with that track playing...and you'd just know, from the briefest snatch of notes, that it was a Motown record.

Another great example of why those two words 'Motown' and 'Magic' fit together so well.

About 12 years ago I bought the UK issued twofers on most of the acts.
    Masterpeice/song for you
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Tempta...item233daa8365

Sing Smokey [[NOT A TWOFER!)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temptation...item58b27f935d

With a lot of soul [[NOT TWOFER)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Tempta...item43cc5916ae

TWOFER Live at the Copa and Lot of Soul
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-TEMPT...item2ed42ee50b

TWOFER Pshych shack and All directions
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-TEMPT...item2ed42ee320

Sky's the limit [[NO TWOFER)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-tempta...item2ed42ee171

TWOFER Psyich shack and All directions
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-tempta...item2ed42ee171

And also
    cd's Temptin',Song for you, gettin' ready,meet the,cloud nine,sing smokey
    TWOFER Sing Smokey/Meet the etc.
    Last edited by tamla617; 07-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I am surprised as well that with all the Supremes releases, there isn't any marketing opportunities for some Temptations. It would seem that some breaks in the Supremes reissue schedule would allow for some other catalogs to be explored and might even increase the appetite for the later Supremes editions.

The Tempts were the most successful male group at Motown, I believe their albums outsold the Miracles or the Tops consistently. They were also extremely creative and went through so many great singers and musical styles, hardly missing a beat.

I also have the "Psychedelic Soul" collection as well as the "One by One" collection, and both are fantastic examples of their 70s output, well put together, annotated and beautifully remastered.

I imagine as prolific as they were there must be lots in the vaults. We haven't even seen a "Lost and Found" set on them.

Aside from the Tops [[Lost and Found, Breaking Through) and the Miracles [[mostly straight album reissues), the male groups seem to have been neglected by the reissuers.
    There was a "Lost And Found" set for The Tempts; it's called "You've Got To Earn It: 1962-1968" released in 1999 and it's an absolute "must have" if you love the groups mid '60s work. Still in print too..... http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Tem...lost+and+found

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    There was a "Lost And Found" set for The Tempts; it's called "You've Got To Earn It: 1962-1968" released in 1999 and it's an absolute "must have" if you love the groups mid '60s work. Still in print too..... http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Tem...lost+and+found
    Yes, thanks, our buddy John [[boyfromxtown) also pointed this out to me. I've got to find my copy and play it again! Thanks again!

I mentioned above that, for our European forum members, "Wings Of Love" is available from Qobuz as a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz [[ie cd-quality audio) download.

New titles available today as downloads in cd-quality audio from Qobuz:
    Solid Rock
    Reunion
    Truly For You
    Together Again
    Milestone

The one here I'm really happy about is "Solid Rock". It's the only "classic-era" Motown title issued on cd that I don't have, as I never found a reasonably-priced used copy. Now I can get it in the same audio quality, and that's good enough for me, I can buy this and stop looking.

I bought "Reunion" and "Truly For You" from Universal Japan, so I'll pass on those. I'm not familiar with the last two.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.