[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day

Good morning y'all. Dinelle here. As you know, today is Veteran's Day, a day where people take time out to pay tribute to those who have, or in my case, are currently serving in our country's military. Recently I found out on Jimi Hendrix's birthday that before he became Jimi Hendrix, the legend we all know and love, he was Private James Hendrix. So did Marvin Gaye in the Air Force. That brings me to my question: Do any of know any singers, songwriter, or producer who have done stints in the military before or after their music careers?

Quote Originally Posted by dinelle_watson View Post
    Good morning y'all. Dinelle here. As you know, today is Veteran's Day, a day where people take time out to pay tribute to those who have, or in my case, are currently serving in our country's military. Recently I found out on Jimi Hendrix's birthday that before he became Jimi Hendrix, the legend we all know and love, he was Private James Hendrix. So did Marvin Gaye in the Air Force. That brings me to my question: Do any of know any singers, songwriter, or producer who have done stints in the military before or after their music careers?
    Thank you for your service dear Dinelle and thanks to all the man and women in uniform who keep us free and safe. Mat God bless you all.Attachment 7496

Hi everybody

Here is my veterans composition tribute sung by Detroits Spyder Turner. Been out for a couple of years now....enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-9ASHmCkEg

Written in London
    Recorded in Detroit
    Photo taken near Hull/UK

Some of The Funk Brothers appear on this recording. More details on the Youtube page...

Actually, here are the details:

Published on 13 Oct 2012

The unmistakable voice of Spyder Turner who performs "Glory fleeting" a rhythmic piece of danceable soul with overtones from 1960's. The original song concept was written in London 2004 and made its final journey to Detroit, Michigan for completion in 2008. Dennis Coffey and Carl Dixon produced the track for 'Bandtraxs Productions' at 'Studio A', Dearborn Heights, Detroit. The arrangement was by the renowned David J. Van De Pitte from the original demos and in addition, the track features some legendary session musicians from the heart and soul of the city. Please support the project as a percentage of sales will go to The Poppy Factory in Richmond/London to help those service personnel suffering with trauma.

The notion of this song is to remember those who have pursued their dreams and accomplished them, but with extreme difficulties and obstacles, as well as those who have fought in battle, some losing their lives to ensure freedom for others. The title 'Glory Fleeting' is based around the quote of Napoleon Bonaparte 'Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever'. The verse about the poppies and valiant soldiers refers to the Coxyde military cemetery in Belgium where my uncle is buried after being shot during the Second World War, May 1940. The original song was simply an instrumental called 'number 8' in 2004 and after speaking to my father one day on the telephone, who served aboard HMS Brilliant in 1944, the story of the SS Leopoldville came up. He and other crew members rescued hundreds of American soldiers who were jumping from the troopship onto HMS Brilliant Christmas eve 1944, after being hit by a torpedo from a German submarine five miles from the coast of Cherbourg, France. So in recognition of this, I decided this song would partly be an acknowledgment to the many service personnel past and present, worldwide. Part of the second verse acknowledges the advancement of civil rights in the US particularly, which influenced me as a child growing up in the 1960's here in England. That, plus many other things have helped give me inspiration to achieve my dreams....and now, I know they really do come true.

I just finished Tony Bennet's autobiography. Didn't know until I read it that he had been drafted as a young man and served in Germany. He hated the army. I wasn't crazy about all
    the things I was forced to do but I sure loved Korea. Take care, D...

I thought this was interesting. I read somewhere that Gloria Estefan's dad fought in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs before he went to serve in the U.S. Army during Vietnam. He almost did a second tour before agent orange messed him up. He passed when he was 47. But the reason I brought this up was that my stepdad was in the Army during that time and almost went to Cuba during that time. He did fight in Cuba but during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was a year after he fought in the Crisis in Berlin.

Thank you to you, Dinelle and all our veterans and troops, past and present, for your service and sacrifice for our country.

~~Mary~~

Happy Veterans Day [[and Remembrance Day in Canada) to all the Vets and their families everywhere!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  21.1 KB
    Happy Remembrance and Veterans day to all. I'm especially remembering my father, who died 2 years ago, who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day in 1944, and my uncle, who was with him in The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, who lost quite a few of their comrades in those first few days. And I remember all the service men and women that fought to keep nations free from the Nazi terror, and that of the other beligerant dictatorships; and all the others who answered their nations' calls, to risk their lives for their countries, regardless of what they thought of their governmental leaders' policies. Too often people forget what they did, and take the results of what they did for granted.