[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Walk on By - Florence Ballard

I've never liked this song, but vocally, I think Flo sounds real strong. I think her best [[from the ABC sessions) would either be "Love Ain't Love" or "Like You Babe." "My Heart" is great, too.

With a song SO identified by Dionne Warwick it's hard not to hear this with fresh ears, but Flo does hold her own.

Nice to hear because she was a former Supreme, but it would not have been noticed by anybody or released at all but for that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Nice to hear because she was a former Supreme, but it would not have been noticed by anybody or released at all but for that fact.
    I truly beleive the lead off song on the Supreme Flo Ballard: "Like you Babe" would have been a strong r&b contender for chart action and that should have been released instead of "It doesent Matter how i say it" but the latter had a supreme sound so that is why they wen t with that. I also like "My Heart" one of the best ballads on that cd.

She definitely sounds good on this, but the chorus of backup singers are bit too much.

I think what hurt Flo's recordings the most was the production. The instrumental production just sounds really sub-par and the production on her voice just sounds odd to me, for some reason. And the quality of the instrumentals is not excellent. They needed better arrangers. With a couple of exceptions, I thought the album was not well conceived by ABC, considering their other successes, and Flo should have had better.

It Doesn't Matter How I Say It was terrible!!!! She doesn't even sound like she can sing and there is too much echo on her voice. Even with airplay, which it didn't get, it would not have done well. Of course, no matter how good the material or productions, I believe Motown would have seen to it she didn't get airplay [[think of Mary Wells!).

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    It Doesn't Matter How I Say It was terrible!!!! She doesn't even sound like she can sing and there is too much echo on her voice. Even with airplay, which it didn't get, it would not have done well. Of course, no matter how good the material or productions, I believe Motown would have seen to it she didn't get airplay [[think of Mary Wells!).
    I agree. Very weak. It might have been a shabby attempt from ABC to get Flo into the mainstream market.

It was a combination of a lot of things. Florence seemed real bored with the material too. So it didn't quite gel. I used to dig Florence's solo stuff but lately I just didn't feel like listening to it. It was clear something was up. Obviously she wasn't happy at all when she did those recordings. No one really knew what to do with Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It was a combination of a lot of things. Florence seemed real bored with the material too. So it didn't quite gel. I used to dig Florence's solo stuff but lately I just didn't feel like listening to it. It was clear something was up. Obviously she wasn't happy at all when she did those recordings. No one really knew what to do with Florence.
    I agree. Florence doesn't really shine on these recordings, but listen to "People" [[that end!) or "Silent Night" from just a few years before, and her voice really glistens.

Her voice also sounds just a little gritty at times. I'm not sure if it was her pregnancy, the alcohol, or her voice just maturing, but she's definitely not at her prime on most of these recordings.

Another of the recordings on which she was excellent was Manhattan.

Agreed. She's got a great, full sound on it. Would have been nice if she had a few solo spots, though.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I agree. Florence doesn't really shine on these recordings, but listen to "People" [[that end!) or "Silent Night" from just a few years before, and her voice really glistens.

Her voice also sounds just a little gritty at times. I'm not sure if it was her pregnancy, the alcohol, or her voice just maturing, but she's definitely not at her prime on most of these recordings.
    Might've been a combination of those things but I think her alcohol intake did affect her vocally. She was great on "People".

I always thought this was one of Flo's best leads.

When I first Florence singing this [[I believe I heard it first in December 2002 on the radio show, "the Motown Show" hosted by Mary Wilson on WCBS in New York), it gave me chills...

smark21 Guest
    I think this version of Walk on By is pretty dreadful. The production and arrangement are cheesy and overdone. Flo’s voice sounded like she had smoked a couple packs of cigs before the recording session.
    As for You Keep Me Hangin’ On, I never considered that a duet between Diana and Florence. To my ears [[and I seem to recall reading somewhere) it’s Diana’s voice that’s doubletracked on the recording. I could be wrong of course.

People is dreary in all respects. No one, not even Streisand, could have done much with the arrangement The Supremes were saddled with.
    I think the Supremes version of Manhattan is pretty poor. They sing Rodgers very pretty melody but I think they miss the sardonic, ironic humor of Hart’s lyrics. And if singers totally miss the meaning of the words, then it’s not a good performance in my opinion. Here’s a much better version of Manhattan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsa0OfWcGA

I tried to like this song by Flo............................................... .............

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I think this version of Walk on By is pretty dreadful. The production and arrangement are cheesy and overdone. Flo’s voice sounded like she had smoked a couple packs of cigs before the recording session.
    As for You Keep Me Hangin’ On, I never considered that a duet between Diana and Florence. To my ears [[and I seem to recall reading somewhere) it’s Diana’s voice that’s doubletracked on the recording. I could be wrong of course.

People is dreary in all respects. No one, not even Streisand, could have done much with the arrangement The Supremes were saddled with.
    I think the Supremes version of Manhattan is pretty poor. They sing Rodgers very pretty melody but I think they miss the sardonic, ironic humor of Hart’s lyrics. And if singers totally miss the meaning of the words, then it’s not a good performance in my opinion. Here’s a much better version of Manhattan.
    Flo kinda seemed out of place everywhere except the ballads and I'm not knocking her because I did dig her version of "Good News" but I think Etta James would've gave it more energy than what Flo did with it. It just seems like all the original Supremes at some point during the '60s read their versions in rather than deliver it for the most part.

There's a version I heard of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" without the double tracking of Diana's vocal but I didn't quite get the duet aspect of it. Motown's edits were sometimes done very poorly, especially in Holland-Dozier-Holland recordings, whereas Smokey's was near perfect.

supremester Guest
    Most of Flo's album is just awful. Like You Babe is a bright spot and there are a few that are OK - like the singles. Impossible Dream literally makes me LOL every time I hear it. I loved Flo's voice in the bg, and certain bits of other thongs, but I think having a powerful voice and being a vocalist are two different things. I loved Flo just for being Flo. I didn't need her to do or be anything more than she was. I like Good News and Oh, Holy Night well enough.....Save me A Star - they are all nice to have. I love her bit on It Makes No Difference Now. For her solo AND label debut, with everything riding on it.... there's no excuse for such crappy vocals unless that's the best she could do....and I think it was. ANY Supreme leaving the group in '67 should have been a hot commodity. Columbia, Capitol, Warners and Stax should have been all over her - and she signed with ABC. She had been doing her solo for 3 straight years - so there was some showcase for her ability. I don't believe Columbia was afraid of Berry Gordy - big as Motown was, it was new and it's resources nothing compared to Columbia, Capitol and Warners. Shoulda coulda woulda, she didn't get much industry interest. And this track, isn't even one of the worst. I know Flo gets ripped for the insipid "It Doesn't Matter....." but I see what she was trying to do and it was an admirable attempt, she just didn't have the chops to pull it off. The worst part of Love Ain't Love is the vocal [[followed closely by the lyric lol.)

I think You Keep Me Hangin' On is both. Certainly Ross is double tracked and it is quite effective in giving the record an edge, but it is Flo on the last word of each line in the verse, as well as underscoring Ross on the second and third chorus. Flo alone sings the break and Mary alone does the oooo-oooo--ooooo-ooooo...... It was a killer record for '66 that suffered greatly from the shadow of You Can't Hurry Love - a sledgehammer of a hit.

I agree with you about People. It's such a high school arrangement - I'm surprised Gil didn't change it. Flo's reading is pedestrian and it's too high for Ross. I think it was best when Ross and Gil convinced Berry to let Mary do it. His way of dealing with Ross' fatigue was to take the song out, but keeping it in with Mary & Flo gave them a shot and Ross a rest - especially when she had to saunter down the hillside 3x a night on weekends. I do love Ross' version on GIT, though.

I like Ella's take on Manhattan for sure, but I'm not certain the true meaning of the song is any more evident. I think you pretty much need to know NYC to understand the subway's charms, Mott Street and Chiles. I would have liked them to work on it more - I'm not 100% on Ross' take and it all sounds a bit clumsy at times. My fave singer on Manhattan is Ethel Merman - who gets the message across in her usual, subtle way. I always forget about The My Fair Lady Verse - do you know when it was added?

supremester Guest
    Most of Flo's album is just awful. Like You Babe is a bright spot and there are a few that are OK - like the singles. Impossible Dream literally makes me LOL every time I hear it. I loved Flo's voice in the bg, and certain bits of other thongs, but I think having a powerful voice and being a vocalist are two different things. I loved Flo just for being Flo. I didn't need her to do or be anything more than she was. I like Good News and Oh, Holy Night well enough.....Save me A Star - they are all nice to have. I love her bit on It Makes No Difference Now. For her solo AND label debut, with everything riding on it.... there's no excuse for such crappy vocals unless that's the best she could do....and I think it was. ANY Supreme leaving the group in '67 should have been a hot commodity. Columbia, Capitol, Warners and Stax should have been all over her - and she signed with ABC. She had been doing her solo for 3 straight years - so there was some showcase for her ability. I don't believe Columbia was afraid of Berry Gordy - big as Motown was, it was new and it's resources nothing compared to Columbia, Capitol and Warners. Shoulda coulda woulda, she didn't get much industry interest. And this track, isn't even one of the worst. I know Flo gets ripped for the insipid "It Doesn't Matter....." but I see what she was trying to do and it was an admirable attempt, she just didn't have the chops to pull it off. The worst part of Love Ain't Love is the vocal [[followed closely by the lyric lol.)

I think You Keep Me Hangin' On is both. Certainly Ross is double tracked and it is quite effective in giving the record an edge, but it is Flo on the last word of each line in the verse, as well as underscoring Ross on the second and third chorus. Flo alone sings the break and Mary alone does the oooo-oooo--ooooo-ooooo...... It was a killer record for '66 that suffered greatly from the shadow of You Can't Hurry Love - a sledgehammer of a hit.

I agree with you about People. It's such a high school arrangement - I'm surprised Gil didn't change it. Flo's reading is pedestrian and it's too high for Ross. I think it was best when Ross and Gil convinced Berry to let Mary do it. His way of dealing with Ross' fatigue was to take the song out, but keeping it in with Mary & Flo gave them a shot and Ross a rest - especially when she had to saunter down the hillside 3x a night on weekends. I do love Ross' version on GIT, though.

I like Ella's take on Manhattan for sure, but I'm not certain the true meaning of the song is any more evident. I think you pretty much need to know NYC to understand the subway's charms, Mott Street and Chiles. I would have liked them to work on it more - I'm not 100% on Ross' take and it all sounds a bit clumsy at times. My fave singer on Manhattan is Ethel Merman - who gets the message across in her usual, subtle way. I always forget about The My Fair Lady Verse - do you know when it was added?

I actually enjoyed Florence's jazzy take of "The Impossible Dream", I know a lot of people don't like it but for some reason I do. The only other tracks from her solo album I liked are "Forever Faithful" [[which also features her doing background vocals) and "My Heart". I think the biggest problem with Flo's solo album was the arrangements, they sound very cheap to me.

Second is something sounds wrong with Florence's voice. It's much deeper and raspier than it was a couple of years before. Of course the drinking, smoking cigarettes and fatigue from pregnancy can all explain this but still if it was the pregnancy thing she should have waited till after she gave birth to record an album. She also just sounds really bored on all of the songs too and she was just half-assing it.

As for her solos in the Supremes I loved all of them especially the unpopular "People" LOL, I just love her vocal at the end of the song when she does that "People who need Peopaaaaaaaaaaal!". I loved her soft and sexy vocal on the alternate version of "It Makes No Difference Now" as well as her more soulful take on the regular album version. Overall as much as I love me some Flo, she just didn't have the patience or willpower. And like she sings in "Forever Faithful"..."I have no one but myself to blame" When she threw her drink in Mr. Gordy's face [[literally and figuratively), her fate was sealed. I often wonder how she would have done if she started recording again 1976 like she planned to.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 11-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.

By "duet," I meant that Flo's vocals are so strong, that it sounds like it's just Flo and Diana. Diana's voice was double-tracked.

And I totally disagree about "People." It's too slow and a little long, but I love Flo's vocal on it. And the girls' harmonies are beautiful. Her soaring vocal at the very end is killer. There's an alternate arrangement sung by Barbara that's actually very, very similar to the Supremes' version.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 11-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    By "duet," I meant that Flo's vocals are so strong, that it sounds like it's just Flo and Diana. Diana's voice was double-tracked.

And I totally disagree about "People." It's too slow and a little long, but I love Flo's vocal on it. And the girls' harmonies are beautiful. Her soaring vocal at the very end is killer. There's an alternate arrangement sung by Barbara that's actually very, very similar to the Supremes' version.
    The version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" that sounded like a duet with Florence was from the 5 lp set called "The Motown Story" released in 1970. It may have had an earlier release as well, I don't know.

Here is a clip of it:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Supreme...e+60s+Version)
    Last edited by marv2; 11-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.

smark21 Guest
    The My Fair Lady lyrics were added for Ella’s version of Manhattan when she recorded the R and H album in the late 50s. The original lyrics referenced “Abie’s Irish Rose”, the popular [[and low brow) Broadway hit of the 20s that would seemingly never close.

Florence Ballard's voice didn't have a lot of feeling or dare I say, range. It was full but somewhat boring on it's own. It needed Diana's there to be interesting.

No one could have made her album a hit, not Berry or Clive Davis, neither of whom would have ever been involved in something that weak.

By the time she threw a drink in Berry's face, she obviously could have cared less about her career, the Supremes or anything rational.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    By the time she threw a drink in Berry's face, she obviously could have cared less about her career, the Supremes or anything rational.
    I don't know if she didn't care. From all accounts, she was suffering from symptoms of depression. Depression can really change a person's rational thinking. Not too mention her growing dependence on alcohol. Not saying she wasn't responsible for her actions, but I think, mentally, she was going through a lot. If it's true that Gordy did outright call her fat, he would be equally responsible for getting the drink thrown in his face, in my opinion. If someone came up to me and called me fat, I would have done the same thing.

supremester Guest
    I use Flo's last line on Silent Night as her career apex - she exhibits power, control and artistry. Often her vocals are laborious and plodding - especially on her album. She escapes that on some of her Motown work - like the end of Silent Night, for example. I still play Flo's album sometimes because that's all there is whereas I can go a decade without playing Ross' low points.
    @Smark: why did you choose this particular cut?

Also I forgot to mention that on Manhattan, like Funny Girl, they had very little studio time and Miss Ross balked at doing more than two takes on anything unless there was an obvious flub. I spoke to Gil about this album and he told her, "This is not Baby Love, Diane." I agree with you that it would have been great if someone explained the song to her, but by then, recording time was dwindling and I think they just wanted it done - rather than great. The Disney tracks are proof of that.

smark21 Guest
    This link was posted at another site and I decided to post it here to see what sort of reaction and debate it would get. That’s why I held off on my opinion until a few others chimed in.

Not surprised to hear that the songs on R and H were done in a take or two. It’s a pleasant enough album, but lacks the craft, depth and artistry that the jazz/pop greats like Ella, Billie and Frank brought to R and H. Certainly Ross’ take on Little Girl Blue on the Ross 76 and the Blue album are much stronger than anything she did on R and H.

supremester Guest
    According to Gil, Ross was horrified when presented with the chart for Little Girl Bue - again. She was not happy with her performance on R&H and rather than have a chance to redeem herself, she wanted nothing to do with it. Conditions were very different 4 years later. They were in LA and she wasn't working, so her voice had a chance to rest and studio time wasn't so precious. Gil was someone who could get through to her and get her to let herself go. She trusted him and he knew what she was capable of. He said some of the best things she ever did were just read throughs at rehearsals and her natural inclinations are jazzy. That's why he and Berry knew the singing in Lady would be accepted. I was 12 when R&H came out and was quite impressed. I really should dig out those tapes and post them. Incredible stuff. He was so happy to be talking to someone who knew and appreciated his work. When she had had enough at Copa rehearsals, she'd try to put him in his place by calling him "MISTER Askey." My Gil & Harvey Fuqua interviews were fantastic.
    Last edited by supremester; 11-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.

R&H is still one of my favorite Supremes albums. Great arrangements, great harmonies. Wish it had been released as a double-LP. Lot of wonderful outtakes. And Florence and Mary are strong. I never knew it was somewhat of a rushed album.

supremester Guest
    Everything they did after Stop! was rushed. Gordy saw dollar signs and nothing else mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Everything they did after Stop! was rushed. Gordy saw dollar signs and nothing else mattered.
    On the whole, I'd say "Sam Cooke," and "Liverpool" were greatly rushed, and "A Go Go" and "HDH" could have had more time devoted to some of the tracks. But "More Hits," "Merry Christmas," "Rodgers and Hart," and "Reflections" were very well produced. Considering Gordy had a lot of additional production done at additional studios, I wouldn't say they were necessarily rushed.

Like you Babe and Love Aint Love are the best songs on Flos album. It sounds like a bunch of demos to me and someone on youtube said it once although I dont know if that is true or not.
    She could have had a hit with the right arrangements I dont know if she would have been a huge star but she could have charted. I dont know its really sad because she could sing but some of the songs sound like she is bored or had too many cigs.

Stax could have done something with her.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Like you Babe and Love Aint Love are the best songs on Flos album. It sounds like a bunch of demos to me and someone on youtube said it once although I dont know if that is true or not.
    She could have had a hit with the right arrangements I dont know if she would have been a huge star but she could have charted. I dont know its really sad because she could sing but some of the songs sound like she is bored or had too many cigs.

Stax could have done something with her.
    Stax couldnt have done much with her if tommy chapman was managing Flo and if she was bored and smoking too many cigs. Tommy knew nothin about the music industry.

Roberta

I am crazy for Flo. In 2000 there was a double Lp by The Flos, Wish U Love that I found on GEMM. I bought it for the 7 Flo Ballard ABC solo tracks. When I received the Lp, I could tell it was a bootleg, but I thought the Flo tracks were "Supremes". My favorites were "Like You Babe" & "Yours Until Tomorrow"....

You have to understand that Flo was not in a good place when this was recorded. I am not saying she was totally blameless in this but physically and emotionally she was ill equipped to launch a solo career at this time. She needed a complete rest from the business but I also concede that had she not taken this opportunity there would unlikely to have been future openings for her. She would in all likelihood still be with us had she just walked away from the business .

I was shocked when I heard the ABC stuff back in the day. My brother bought that first 45 and at the time "ex-Motown" people had involvement [[like Mary Wells first stuff), & I think she knew it was doomed that's why she sounds uninspired. ABC supposedly could not use the fact that she was an" Ex Supreme " in promos ect.So it was a shady deal from the start.Flo was very talented and as early as '65 some Hollywood types wanted to use her in a comedy movie after seeing their act at the Copa. Motown squashed that without her even knowing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You have to understand that Flo was not in a good place when this was recorded. .
    She sure wasn't.......she was like 7 months pregnant! Just as Mary was when she recorded her 1st solo album. It's difficult on the breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I was shocked when I heard the ABC stuff back in the day. My brother bought that first 45 and at the time "ex-Motown" people had involvement [[like Mary Wells first stuff), & I think she knew it was doomed that's why she sounds uninspired. ABC supposedly could not use the fact that she was an" Ex Supreme " in promos ect.So it was a shady deal from the start.Flo was very talented and as early as '65 some Hollywood types wanted to use her in a comedy movie after seeing their act at the Copa. Motown squashed that without her even knowing about it.
    Flo would've been a great comedic actress too bad she couldn't pursue that path. it sure would've given her a boost in her self-esteem. And at the same time possibly given Berry Gordy the key to the movie industry and television

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Flo would've been a great comedic actress too bad she couldn't pursue that path. it sure would've given her a boost in her self-esteem. And at the same time possibly given Berry Gordy the key to the movie industry and television
    But Berry only wanted one person to shine, one star.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But Berry only wanted one person to shine, one star.
    This is true. He was determined to make Diana a megastar and beware anyone who tried to stand in his way. Those who tried fell by the wayside.

This is true. He was determined to make Diana a megastar and beware anyone who tried to stand in his way. Those who tried fell by the wayside.
    NoT entirely true my dear. Mr Gordy had five superstars he was real interested in Diane and Smokey and Stevie and Marvin and Michael Jackson.Fondly,Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    NoT entirely true my dear. Mr Gordy had five superstars he was real interested in Diane and Smokey and Stevie and Marvin and Michael Jackson.Fondly,Roberta
    Okay Roberta I will give you that one, but at the time Michael was not yet on the scene, so I shall say Diana was the only female star he was really interested in making a superstar.

Okay Roberta I will give you that one, but at the time Michael was not yet on the scene, so I shall say Diana was the only female star he was really interested in making a superstar.
    Yes but according to Marvin and Smokey and Dr Martha Reeves and others Diane Ross was the hardest working lady at Motown and she was real hungry for super stardom which she deserved IMO.

fondly,

Roberta

Yes but according to Marvin and Smokey and Dr Martha Reeves and others Diane Ross was the hardest working lady at Motown and she was real hungry for super stardom which she deserved IMO.

fondly,

Roberta
    That is also true. she was the first to arrive in the morning and the last to leave in the evening. I am not for one moment disputing the fact that she fully deserved her success. She would often spend 10 hours recording during the day and then do shows with the Supremes in the evening. Little wonder she was treated for exhaustion. Even later in her career her work ethic never ceased to amaze me. On one occasion she spent over 11 hours rehearsing for one TV performance, and even then she was not happy with her performance. A remarkable lady. Sorry for going off topic.

That is also true. she was the first to arrive in the morning and the last to leave in the evening. I am not for one moment disputing the fact that she fully deserved her success. She would often spend 10 hours recording during the day and then do shows with the Supremes in the evening. Little wonder she was treated for exhaustion. Even later in her career her work ethic never ceased to amaze me. On one occasion she spent over 11 hours rehearsing for one TV performance, and even then she was not happy with her performance. A remarkable lady. Sorry for going off topic.
    I enjoy you going of topic dear. I enjoy also the stories you share of working with the stars.Yours, with every good wish.Roberta

I enjoy you going of topic dear. I enjoy also the stories you share of working with the stars.Yours, with every good wish.Roberta
    Thank you Roberta. You are just too kind.

I always wanted to hear Flo's solo tracks and when they finally came out on CD I was a little dismayed. Most of them don't sound like finished tracks. They sound very rough, like the instrumentation wasn't finished and she was just running through the song to get a sense of it. Does anyone know if the album was an officially finished product or whether it was shelved due to poor single sales before she even had a chance to finish it?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I always wanted to hear Flo's solo tracks and when they finally came out on CD I was a little dismayed. Most of them don't sound like finished tracks. They sound very rough, like the instrumentation wasn't finished and she was just running through the song to get a sense of it. Does anyone know if the album was an officially finished product or whether it was shelved due to poor single sales before she even had a chance to finish it?

I don't believe it was finished either.