[REMOVE ADS]

MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS - Just A Chat On The MIKE DOUGLAS Show - 12/20/68

Unfortunately, their performance on the show is not included in this video. But the chat that is here with the group is a bit of enjoyable footage, and they look great in those outfits. [[A familiar clip of DANCING IN THE STREETS from The Ed Sullivan Show starts up just when you're hoping to see and hear what they did on The Mike Douglas Show.)

Thank you to Warholisover for this posting on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQWRud0ghTs
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 10-12-2013 at 08:28 PM.

I realize this is only a partial clip and therefore it is hard to understand the context of it, but it was so awkward. For example, why didn't Mike address a question to the other girls and give them a chance to say something? They just looked odd standing there smiling. And who was the dude with the glasses and what was his story? I know it was the 60s but it was just weird!

David - The gent may have been a co-host that Douglas sometimes had during a week of shows but I can't make out who it is. It's also difficult to know if Sandra and Lois were addressed in any part of the conversation. I hope they were.

The oddest part of the whole thing to me was the raised platform Martha was on. With the Vandellas standing right on the floor, it seemed strange and unnecessary to have only her elevated. But who knows if someone wanted it. For a low-key afternoon show, it seemed a bit much. A two-level platform would have been fine for all of them if they wanted to create a little more of a stage effect. But just a single one for Martha--Nah, I ain't buyin' it. The singling out of the lead singers for some of the Motown groups often went a bit too far for me. Wasn't the billing and singing the lead enough?
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 10-13-2013 at 05:22 AM.

I agree. While Martha now prefers to say that she was only ever a solo singer with backing vocalists, I always regarded them as a group, with Martha as the lead singer.

Martha was the star of the group. The attention being solely on her doesn't bother me. Diana, Smokey & Gladys all handled the majority of the questions. There isn't time to make stars of all members of groups so it's better for Motown to focus on the leads. Of greater concern to me is the fact that they were given less than two minutes on Sullivan to sing a four-year-old song and couldn't perfect the visuals to it. They look great on Sullivan, OK+ on Mike Douglas great fabric and style for the price but loses points for harem pant/cost cutting leg finish.

I agree TheMotownManica Martha was the star of the group and the greatest star male or female to come out of Motown records.

Have a blessed and beautiful Sunday.

Roberta

The Mike Douglas clip has to be from late 1969 or 1970 because Rosalind was with the group till the spring of 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    David - The gent may have been a co-host that Douglas sometimes had during a week of shows but I can't make out who it is. It's also difficult to know if Sandra and Lois were addressed in any part of the conversation. I hope they were.

The oddest part of the whole thing to me was the raised platform Martha was on. With the Vandellas standing right on the floor, it seemed strange and unnecessary to have only her elevated. But who knows if someone wanted it. For a low-key afternoon show, it seemed a bit much. A two-level platform would have been fine for all of them if they wanted to create a little more of a stage effect. But just a single one for Martha--Nah, I ain't buyin' it. The singling out of the lead singers for some of the Motown groups often went a bit too far for me. Wasn't the billing and singing the lead enough?
    If you look again closely at the very, very beginning, there is another platform [[retangular) with mic stands for the Vandellas. It appears to be even higher than the circular one Martha is standing on.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    The Mike Douglas clip has to be from late 1969 or 1970 because Rosalind was with the group till the spring of 1969.
    The show is dated "December 20, 1968".

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I realize this is only a partial clip and therefore it is hard to understand the context of it, but it was so awkward. For example, why didn't Mike address a question to the other girls and give them a chance to say something? They just looked odd standing there smiling. And who was the dude with the glasses and what was his story? I know it was the 60s but it was just weird!
    The dude in the glasses is Opera Singer, Jan Peerce.

This is from Motown the DVD. I have the performances from this show on a DVD somewhere, but the audio quality is not good. I will upload if I can find them. Martha sings a french song and forgets the words and starts to laugh and apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is from Motown the DVD. I have the performances from this show on a DVD somewhere, but the audio quality is not good. I will upload if I can find them. Martha sings a french song and forgets the words and starts to laugh and apologizes.
    Hey Carlo! How are ya?

They perform "Les Bicvclettes De Belsize" , "Taking My Heart [[And Leaving Me) and "Soul Appeal" if my memory serves me well.22.10.69.

Or "The Look Of Love", Didn`t We" and "New Dawn ?" on 2.12.68.

Marv - Good eye. You're right about the second platform; although the mics are lodged on the floor, they appear extended for use of the higher stage. Much better that the Vandellas have a platform, too. And you're right about that being Jan Peerce, too.

The Mike Douglas Show [[12/20/68)

Jan Peerce concludes his co-hosting duties; guests are Opera star Roberta Peters, baritone Frank Guarrera, Mezzo-soprano Shirley Love, accompanist David Benedict, Jerry Blavat host of a TV rock 'n roll show and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. Highlights: Songs performed are "Rigoletto", Selections - Giuseppe Verdi, "Carousel" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" Richard Rodgers.

Bottom line is that if the Vandellas could step down from their platform to be interviewed, then Martha should have too. She looked foolish standing on a pedestal towering over everybody.

Very good point, Skooldem. I totally agree. She should have stepped down to join everyone. Even if another number was about to be performed, Martha's remaining on the platform was off-putting.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 10-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The show is dated "December 20, 1968".
    The date is wrong, Sandra Tilley didn't join the Vandellas until circa June 1969.

This sort of staging must have been desired by the producers at Mike Douglas. I've seen some Gladys Knight and the Pips appearances on the show during the same era. Gladys is positioned on a platform higher than the Pips, and when Mike and the guest host come over for the interview, she stays there.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    The date is wrong, Sandra Tilley didn't join the Vandellas until circa June 1969.
    No it isn't. Martha even mentions that Christmas was coming up.... Listen to it again.

Martha was where she was suppose to be per the director of the TV show.

They did Soul Appeal and Les Bicyclettes. They were promoting their appearance at the Copa. I believe the date is wrong, it was 69

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    They did Soul Appeal and Les Bicyclettes. They were promoting their appearance at the Copa. I believe the date is wrong, it was 69

No it isn't and they did "Soul Appeal" during their October 1969 appearance on the show. I have the whole show on tape. The date of this clip [[Dec. 20, 1968) is right.
    At the one minute mark in this clip she flat out states that "the season is coming .....and Christmas needs a little spiritual help.....we figured this [[the outfits) were more Christmasy,etc, etc blah, blah blah....."

marthaa nd the vandellas

. I'd like to see that show,because long after Jan Peirce passed I found out he was my cousin

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    . I'd like to see that show,because long after Jan Peirce passed I found out he was my cousin

You are kidding? Really? You did not know until after he was gone?

People say "Christmas in coming up" in October, November someone just said it to me a few days ago. It was 1969, Rosalind was still with the group in December of 1968 and I don't see her anywhere in this clip.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that this couldn't be 1968 because the Sugar & Spice album was released in 1969. They made two appearance on Douglas in late 1969. In October they performed Taking My Love and Soul Appeal. For this December appearance they did Soul Appeal and Les Bicyclettes. They were appearing at the Copa for one of these two performances. I think for the other they were at the Apollo

http://www.tv.com/people/martha-and-the-vandellas-1/

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-dou...0-1968-868334/

There is no December 1969 appearance of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas listed for The Mike Douglas Show , nor is Jan Peerce listed as a co-host or even a guest during the entire month of December in 1969. However, there is no information other than co-host for December 11, 1969
    http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-dou...-1969-1272212/

Therefore, it appears that the video in question IS from Dec. 20, 1968. According to 'Martha Reeves & the Vandellas 50th Anniversary/ The Singles Collection/ 1962-1972', Rosalind Ashford left the group shortly after the release of 'Sweet Darlin'/Without You' [[October 10, 1968).

I find this entry interesting
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693564/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm
    owing to the fact that someone was unaware of the change in group members that had taken place.

Here is the Oct 22, 1969 appearance listing,
    http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-dou...2-1969-869432/
    featuring a co-host and a boxing legend who would each have a connection to Motown. .
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 10-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Marv ,It was after my father passed when I received the whole family tree and made connections with my distant cousins. One of them happened to be one of the guys who hung out with my clique at a club in NJ That in it's self was crazy. Anyway it came out that Jan Peice was a relative. It turns out I come from a huge family.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Marv ,It was after my father passed when I received the whole family tree and made connections with my distant cousins. One of them happened to be one of the guys who hung out with my clique at a club in NJ That in it's self was crazy. Anyway it came out that Jan Peice was a relative. It turns out I come from a huge family.
    Wow, Mike, that is some story. I would have fell out backwards if I learn some things like that. Thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that this couldn't be 1968 because the Sugar & Spice album was released in 1969. They made two appearance on Douglas in late 1969. In October they performed Taking My Love and Soul Appeal. For this December appearance they did Soul Appeal and Les Bicyclettes. They were appearing at the Copa for one of these two performances. I think for the other they were at the Apollo
    Rocket scientist notwithstanding, all records for this particular program point to a date of December 20, 1968. Maybe you need to fact check your information and the dates.

The date given on the DVD i have gives Dec. 22nd 1969. if this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    The date given on the DVD i have gives Dec. 22nd 1969. if this helps.
    The date on the DVD is incorrect.
    http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-dou...0-1968-868334/

There is no December 1969 appearance of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas listed for The Mike Douglas Show , nor is Jan Peerce listed as a co-host or even a guest during the entire month of December in 1969. However, there is no information other than co-host for December 11, 1969
    http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-dou...-1969-1272212/

Therefore, it appears that the video in question IS from Dec. 20, 1968. According to 'Martha Reeves & the Vandellas 50th Anniversary/ The Singles Collection/ 1962-1972', Rosalind Ashford left the group shortly after the release of 'Sweet Darlin'/Without You' [[October 10, 1968).

Thanks Carole, I`ve altered my records.

I read the chapter in Martha's autobiography where she discusses firing Rosalind and she clearly states multiple times the year was 1969 when all of this was going on. I think Martha would know.